1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards New M/board and CPU won't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KD88, 2 Apr 2012.

1. KD88

KD88 Minimodder

Hi, a couple of weeks ago while cleaning the dust from my PC I managed to drop the CPU and damaged some pins. I therefore decided to upgrade to an i5 2500k and an Asus P8Z68 -V Gen3.

I installed them today but there is something wrong.

The board powers up for a few seconds then closes down and powers up again but the monitor displays "no signal detected" this happens with it plugged in to both the GPU or the rear panel. The board has LED's for faults with the CPU, GPU, Boot device and Dram which is the only one which lights up. The power light on the front panel comes on but the hard drive light doesn't although I can feel the platter spinning.

I have an Antec 300 which doesn't have a speaker so I can't diagnose via beeps.

There is also a mem test button which when pressed closes the board down again, restarts and test the Ram indicated by the LED flashing. After a while it stops flashing and remains on. I've tried different memory with the same result.

The CPU is getting power as it gets hot.

Any suggetions

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

You do have a CPU cooler on it don't you?

3. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

This.

and also, have you tried just running one RAM stick and trying it in different slots, also is your boot drive a normal HDD or an SSD?

PocketDemon likes this.
  4. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Have you made sure the 8 pin connector is in properly at the top?

Have you tried the gpu in a different slot?

Only things I can think of right now :)

5. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Reset the BIOS and buy a beeper for a quid...

dunx

6. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

how do you know it is hot? are you going by the feel of the fins on the cooler? if so, they shouldnt really be hot when its not even under load. id be tempted to say it isnt mounted properly. that being said, if it wasnt mounted properly, they wouldnt be getting hot anyway. weird.

i hope you have a cooler on top of it lol, or that would be your problem

7. KD88

KD88 Minimodder

Yes it has a Gelid Tranquillo atop, which I took off to check the CPU and that's when I knew that power was getting to it as it was still warm.

I've tried all Dram slots with Corsair XMS3 and two slots with G-Skill Ripjaws.

Haven't tried GPU in different slot, but I don't get a display using the integrated graphics.

The boot drive is a mechanical hard drive.

The more I think about this the more I think it is more likely to be the processor is faulty.

Do you agree?

8. mattyh1995

mattyh1995 Minimodder

Is the 8pin right at the top? ie, have you not accidentally put a GPU 6+2pin into it? I made that mistake a while ago and my system wouldn't boot :S

9. KD88

KD88 Minimodder

Yes it is an 8 pin CPU lead as it's one of the hard wired not modular cables.

10. PocketDemon

PocketDemon What's a Dremel?

+1

it's normally the slot 2nd closest to the cpu to get it working...

Well, based on my Asus board & having a memory issue initially then i had to use that with the "Mem OK" button...

...then manually set the timings in the bios...

...& then install the other 3 'sticks'.

& i assume you've checked stupid things like how the panel pins are connected & that you've plugged in both cables to the mobo & whatnot?