1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics New or used

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by woodback, 2 Dec 2018.

1. woodback

woodback What's a Dremel?

I think the prices on a new gpu are way to high. My last card which I still use is a 980 ti second hand. Had it about 2 years now and was thinking of upgrading this Xmas. Cannot and will not be paying £500 plus. Mite part exchange for a second hand card at CEX . Then again may have to wait another year for the upgrade to be worthwhile.

What do you lot think about the prices?

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Excruciating! You'd need to get a 1070ti or 1080 at least to see a marked improvement. Are you currently having performance problems? 980Ti is still a great card, especially at 1080p.

3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you're at 1080p or 1440p, a 980Ti is plenty of card to keep you going. I'd save the pennies and squirrel more away until the next gen cards launch next year.

4. woodback

woodback What's a Dremel?

Playing at 1440p. No problems really but had a itch to upgrade. I did upgrade every year untill the prices went mad. No wonder Nvidia and amd are starting to stumble. I was looking at the 1080 but there not much of a increase. My 980 ti has the reference cooler so maybe I should order a aftermarket cooler to fix and then overclock it? Oh and ive had AMD cards before so I'm not locked to Nvidia . Price vs performance.

5. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you're on the reference cooler, you could sort the cooling solution out or even just change the TIM for something decent like Kryonaut. I took nearly 5c off my brand new 1080ti temps by ditching the factory insulation paste. If you've never changed yours, you might gain more thermal headroom than that.

The_Crapman likes this.
  6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

As said above, you'd be looking at a 1070 Ti/1080 at least to see any form of improvement. It's not worth it. Save the cash until next-gen. The only massive upgrade you get to is a 1080 Ti or RTX, but those are stupid money for the performance.

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

AMD don't make any cards that would be fast enough to be worth upgrading to from a 980 TI, so Nvidia is the only game in town.
    New isn't an option as nothing that fits in a £500 budget would be worth upgrading to from a 980 TI.

So basically get lucky and find a used 1080TI for less than £500 or leave it be are the only viable options.