1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays New screen advise (not conventionnal)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GuilleAcoustic, 21 May 2012.

1. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Hello,

This week end my old 17" Eizo, bought in 2004, started to become less bright, greyish. It has a total of 15986 hours of use.

[​IMG]

Since I have to replace it, I'd like to have a bigger display but with good display quality (Eizo gave me bad habits :blush:).

While hunting on google, I found those professionnal screen, more common for commercial advert use, but I can't find any review :wallbash:

[​IMG]

http://www.samsunglfd.com/product/feature.do?modelCd=400MX-3

This is an S-PVA 40" 1080p screen and costs around 700€. Did someone use that kind of display as a computer screen ?

I'd use it for daily use : Web, word, gaming, developping, 3D modelling ... but also to replace my TV as well (since my CRT tv is dying too, very blueish).

Last edited: 21 May 2012
  2. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

While the screen will look nice, deep blacks, good colours and excellent viewing angles, in the end you're still stuck with a 1920x1080 display, and for the price, you can get much higher res displays than that.

Trust me, you'll soon get sick of it for your desktop screen. That res is just too small to comfortably view webpages etc for any long periods of use.

If you absolutely wanted it to double as a TV though, it wouldn't be a bad buy, but I'd easily sooner have a better monitor and separate TV if I had the choice. Also, at that dot pitch, sat close to it, it probably won't look as sharp as smaller screens with higher res.

I'd much rather have something a little smaller but with a much higher res - a 27" 2560x1440 display has approx 75% more real estate than 1080p.

3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

What I was going to suggest that was if you has an Nvidia card, just create a custom resolution in the control panel. But you have a 5870. :(

4. GuilleAcoustic

That's what I'm affraid of, and my reason for asking. I'm also willing to just suppress the TV as my wife and I do not want a TV in the living room. The TV only serves to watch some movies, but not often. That's why I thought about that kind of screen.

30" are out of budget, and I do not know if my HD5870 can handle 1440p resolution for gaming. I currently have a Q6600 with 4GB but I'm looking to change it for a i5 2400 + 8GB + P8H67-I Deluxe, inside a scrach built ITX case.

I didn't understand, sorry :worried:

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'd steer well clear of that! Its designed for commercial use - digital advertising! Its one of those screens with an advert on your see in shopping malls. The 1080p resolution will be very painful at 40".

For £700 I'm pretty sure you could get an IPS U2711 (or even a second hand U3011). That would be your best bet.

6. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Basically, when you buy an Nvidia graphics card, you get the Nvidia control panel software. One of the features of this allows you to create a custom resolution (one that isn't supported by your monitor). This would allow you to go higher than 1080p on that TV.

7. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Technically yes, but the screen would just downscale it to 1080p or not display it at all.

8. GuilleAcoustic

Again, it confirms my toughts ... :wallbash:. Thanks for the time spent to answer my silly question. Problem is that U2711 costs over

Another solution, that was my firts idea ... buying a great 23" screen

- Eizo FlexScan EV2335W

[​IMG]

- Eizo FORIS FS2332

[​IMG]

- NEC MultiSync EA232WMi

[​IMG]

... and building a beamer with motorized hidden screen for movie sessions.

9. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

These would be what I would choose from at the 24-27" range:

Dell U2412M - Solid 1920x1200 IPS display. Won't break the bank either and you could get two of those for your budget.

Dell U2711 - Popular 2560x1440 wide gamut IPS display. Large res, good colour reproduction, viewing angles and build quality. But it has harsh anti-glare coating, white glow on blacks, and because it's wide gamut normal sRGB content is slightly oversaturated.

Samsung S27A850D - 2560x1440 PLS display. Has arguably better viewing angles than its IPS counterparts, and has better anti-glare coating than found on the Dells. Contrast is good, and it's a native sRGB screen (so won't oversaturate sRGB colours). It's also LED instead of CCFL, so has a slimmer profile and better energy savings. Also comes with USB3 hub. Lacks HDMI.

HP ZR2740w - 2560x1440 IPS display. Also LED like the Samsung, but wide gamut. Excellent display, better contrast than the Dell. Lacks HDMI and proper OSD.

Hazro HZ27WB - 2560x1440 IPS display. Wide gamut, but cheaper than other displays. Lacks inputs and proper OSD. Also CCFL instead of LED.

10. GuilleAcoustic

I can have a 14% saving on the HP ZR2740w (679€ i/o 749€) and free shipping if it's delivered to the shop. The samsung retails @729€

EDIT : The HP seems to lack a proper OSD too, just like the Hazro.

11. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Oh yeah, so it does. However, I wouldn't get too hung up about an OSD though. You can still change display settings at the graphics card level; you just miss out on things like dynamic contrast and colour presets .

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

No you can't... I mean you CAN.. but you introduce banding, and you are limited with your adjustments. software tweaks does not equal to hardware tweaks.

13. GoodBytes

Here are my 2-cents.
    While you did have a kick-ass monitor, I think anything high-end on the consumer market today SHOULD be better than what you have now. Now I don't know if you your work is color critical, assuming you want decent colors, here is what I suggest:

The Dell U2410. Why?
    -> True 8-bit color panel, with all you need to use it (12-bit color processor, and 10-bit LUT table.. in reality it can do 10-bit colors using A-FRC via Display Port, but you can ignore that as you need the hardware, drivers and OS (Win7/Vista). So assume it does true 8-bit colors per channel)

-> Good performance, great colors, good enough contrast

-> Fully adjustable stand, non-glossy, full OSD menu, as you like.

-> And you have all the inputs you can possibly want, making it a perfect TV replacement. all it's missing a TV-Tuner and S-Video. You have: 1x HDMI, 1x DisplayPort, 2x DVI, 1x VGA, 1x component, and 1x Composite.

GuilleAcoustic likes this.
  14. GuilleAcoustic

All is settled in one sentence :D ... thanks matey :thumb: (+rep). As you mentioned, my work is not color critical, I'm just willing good enough colors. I'll connect to this :

- TV box
    - PC
    - Wii

15. GoodBytes

You'll have no problem. In my case, I plugged my analogue TV cable, to my VCR, and connected my VCR over composite. So basically I use my VCR as a TV-Tuner. :)
    I also have my Wii connected to it, the monitor does a nice scaling of the image (I mean it won't turn the Wii into 1080p, but you wont' get super duper blocky image). Also I have my laptop connected to it on DisplayPort, of course my desktop on DVI.

16. GuilleAcoustic

I'm hesitating, the U2410 retails at 466€ on amazon and I found a U2711 (new with Dell 3 years warranty) at 608€ on amazon (instead of 718€).

17. GoodBytes

Well from what I can see on this forum (as I don't have the U2711), if you want to play some of the big games like BF3 at high settings at ~60fps, you better get SLI/Crossfire setup. They are a few threads that goes more in details on this game with the U2711, have a look at them. But I think, with a single Geforce GTX 570 or more (or equivalent from AMD, of course), you should have no problem for most games of today with this monitor. But you better ask someone who has the U2711 to be sure, as I am only guessing here.

18. GuilleAcoustic

I'll entrust your knowledge of the 2410 :D

19. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

If it was me, I would always go for the u2711 due to the higher resolution and screen size, as after coming from a 19" monitor to a 23" monitor, my monitor (u2311h, smaller brother of u2412h) 23" is starting to feel a bit smaller.

I don't think you'll regret buying the u2412m, but in the future you might appreciate the bigger screen. Having said that your 5870 might struggle a bit a 1440p :)

20. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

You have less options but you can still achieve colour accuracy without an OSD, and without noticeable banding. How do you think Tftcentral did it?

Buy the U2410 then, with a lower res than the rest of your options and a wide gamut which you don't need, but it seems that you've made up your mind anyway (the U2412M would be better for your needs, but it does lack inputs). In my opinion the U2410 is overpriced for what it is, and you'd be miles better off getting a 2560x1440 display, but what do I know.