1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other New soundcard for gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by b1g-d0g, 16 May 2023.

1. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

The on board is doing my nut in and would like to upgrade to a good soundcard, external looks good as I've never had one but I'm not sure what to get, was impressed with the creative Ae5 I had a while back but I may be getting a riser later on down the line and I know this will interfere with it.
    Thanks

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Have a look at Fiio stuff. I've got a bluetooth neckband of theirs which is awesome, i know a few here have pocket bluetooth dacs for phones that no longer have 3.5m jack. Their desktop DACs seem to review really well too.

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I run my sound card on a riser. A mining riser to be exact. Don't have any issues with it, and I have now had three setups on it.

5. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

6. keef247

keef247 Modder

What hash rate do you achieve via FLAC?

7. Vault-Tec

Don’t use it for that. It’s just in my gaming rig now.

8. Vault-Tec

Got one of those too. Use it solely on my Nightowl Carbons.

[​IMG]

Fantastic tbh. Thought it may need an amp but nope, has more than enough clout. I will go back to using the EVGA NU when I refurb my desk and start using my Quad ribbon speakers on it.

9. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Thanks ill have a look:thumb:

10. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Asus xonar essence STX 2

will happily thump out 196/24, DTS and a whole load of other toys. best sound stage ive played with in ages if you've the speakers for it.

11. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

No speakers just headphones, don't think the wife would appreciate the noise :duh:

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

thats fine then, ive a set of Massdrop AKG K7XX red's running on it as well and the sound depth and stage is beyond sublime, i'll often just chill out in the dark genuinly enjoying music. I honeslty dont get why people run onboard audio when it sounds like an old man farting through a rolled up newspaper in comparrison.

13. Vault-Tec

EVGA Nu Sound can do twice that.

If you can find one, and you have the money? best sound card in the world IMO. Designed and engineered by Audio Note UK.

However if you are just using cans and cans only? Dragonfly. However, in the sort of class we are talking here (STX II and Nu Sound?) I would get a better one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AudioQuest...=1684317899&sprefix=audioquest+,aps,71&sr=8-3

Or, the best one :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AudioQuest...=1684317936&sprefix=audioquest+,aps,71&sr=8-2

Because they cost around the same, but with a Dragon Tail you can use it with a phone or anything else too.

14. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I've got a Cambridge DACMagic XS 2.0 (v2) (and a spare knocking about somewhere) that's made a difference I've been happy with, running through a Rotel amp. Not the most audiophile of setups and I'm sure there are better above, but it depends on budget, existing headphones etc. as always.
    It doesn't have a jack hole (so to speak) of this magnitude though.

EDIT: Doesn't look like they're available any more, apologies. But just in case you can find one second hand, here's a review and another.

Last edited: 17 May 2023