Guide New to the Dark Arts of modding.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Kronos, 19 May 2012.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I expect this question has been asked often so i apologise beforehand.

I have a Lian li PC8FIB which I have managed to scratch and even though I cannot see the imperfection I know it is there so i have decided to paint the case. This will be my first go at painting though I have had other cases powder coated in my time. But I have found that powder coating tend to be quite a thick coating particularly where buttons and switches come through the case.

So I wish to paint this case myself,I have yet to decide on a colour but I am leaning towards a shiny silver,I do so love bling.LOL.

I am fortunate that I have a mate who is well versed in all things paint as he repairs car bodywork but i am also looking for advise from people that have done this.

So far I have a small sander with a selection of sandpaper grit, a bit of a wood block for sanding.

Questions:

Should I have something in particular to clean the panels?
    Do I needer a primer/undercoat/etching paint?
    The words Lian Li are on the bottom of the case in silver on black,is it possible to remove this without to much trouble?

Anything else you feel I should know?

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Noone have any views/help?

3. Attila

Attila still thinking....

You already have the best advice available from your friend.
    Plus this question has been asked asked a million times before. If you just look up the page a bit you will notice modding guides. If you google you will find heaps more.

4. B.o.B

B.o.B What's a Dremel?

Attila is right. You have someone with all the know how at hand. There's also a very good painting guide linked on the last page of the guides thread.

I've just started my first paint job and learnt a few key things. Get an A4 piece of alu or plastic and get your technique down before attacking the case. It's better to do the job right the first time instead of wasting time and materials when you stuff up those first few runs with a spray can because you will stuff them up if you don't practice first.

Also, any good painter will tell you (as they have told me) the best work is done in the prep. Make sure you prep the surface correctly. That includes using the right sand paper, cleaning the surface thoroughly, priming and painting in a suitable environment and using the right technique. There are plenty of other things you'll need to do while painting, but get the prep right and the rest is made much easier.

Sorry for the long rant, check the guides for a full run through

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Finally found the guide you referred to,I am surprised it does not have a more prominent place within the forum.
    Thanks anyway.

6. B.o.B

B.o.B What's a Dremel?

Yeah I'm surprised myself that with all the vast knowledge this community has, there doesn't seem to be a very central place to learn.

I've been following the paint guide as best I can and amazed at just how well my case is turning out so far. I'm still a far way off finishing it, but I have no doubt that it will look nearly as good as I imagined when I set out to do it.

For the most part, googling has helped me pick up the tips and tricks I've needed to do mods. Some of the know how though I tend to pick up from trolling these forums and seeing what everyone else is doing. Cheers guys :naughty: