Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 27 Apr 2010.
Mixed blessing really. Whilst it does suck that there is going to be a wait and that wait is just short enough to make me want to wait until they are out as my F1 is still ticking along nicely, it does give me the much needed time to save up enough to get something decent.
I'm holding off as realistically the minimum drive size I would want would be 128 but really 256 would be much better as it could hold all my games to and the current cost is just to much. In saying that I feel there's little point in buying an SSD until my next system build which isn't for a while yet so I can hold off. Been looking at SSD's loads lately though but I think I can resist.
yeah ive been holding off for about a year now, to be honest though i see no reason to upgrade at current prices, 128GB @ £100-150 is the sweetspot for me.
in the end i just bought an F3, and now im glad i did
I'm still stuck with my WD 7200RPM Caviar Blues.
I wouldn't bother waiting for cheaper bigger drives, all you need on your SSD is your OS and program files folders.
Games run fast enough off something like an F3 to not need to fill my 128GB Crucial SSD.
You only save a few seconds in game load times but having the OS on an SSD makes it so much faster and smoother.
yes if you have the F1 or F3 already. BUt SSD is a must for those used to slower 7200RPM drives like 500GB or so.
My computer spends roughly 40 seconds to join a game of Left 4 Dead 2 and that is very much related to slow HDD speed.
So a Samsung F1 would feel like a SSD to me. Also maybe faster RAM as I only got PC2-6400 speed RAM now which is not fast enough for most tasks today.
As a student, the price is still way too high for me.
Not interested in less than 128GB (For my desktop at least, I have an 8GB SSD in my netbook) and that'd have to be definitly under £100.
128GB @ £75 would be my buy point. £100 or less and I might treat myself if it had some nice other features (6Gbps, particularly fast access etc.)
Lol I just now decided to try a 10k rpm drive let alone an SSD. Until the price drops I wont even think about leaving my physical drives.
I just splooged for an ASUS R3E with support for SATA6Gbps ... arghhh ... now I have to wait even longer for a decent SSD that supports the new interface. Oh well, that's life!! But at least when I do pull the trigger on a new SSD, the potential bugs will be ironed out and I'll be ready to roll big time!
I was going to buy an OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB once I finalized my slipstreamed Win7 disc, but then I saw this drive: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/SSDMXE050/
I will be buying that drive once I have the money.
I am waiting for PCI-E Based SSD to become mainstream. SATA 3.0 is too slow.. ( For SSD's Potential )
Even a 1x PCI-E 3.0 would give 1GB/s compare to SATA 600MB/s
that would be pretty awesome
Asus R3E and a 6Gbps SSD.. that sounds like a plan.. 12GB of RAM... gobble gobble... now where is that six core not super expensive CPU.
Separate names with a comma.