1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL *NSFW* *The new Demote thread*

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 8 Jul 2011.

1. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Well-Known Member

I came here to post the exact same sentiment....Now it's all over my keyboard...

2. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

No. Just... no.

3. asura

asura jack of all trades

But... but... but... what's wrong with the original?* This wave of ruinous attempts to recreate the past has got to stop. It seems like we've got a sociological longing for a golden age that happened only thirty** to forty years ago!

*we're all fully aware - nothing - I was purely being rhetorical.
    **I'm looking at you Ghostbusters.

4. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

They've rebooted Superman, Spiderman and Batman TWICE in the same time period.

The Shawshank Redemption and Saving Private Ryan must be up soon, swiftly followed by Twilight as this rate. *shudders*

5. Freedom

Freedom Member

While we need more original Holywood blockbuster that the current steady flow of adaptations, sequel and reboot.

I don't have huge problem with them as long as there enjoyable.

I would to see more original content

6. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

the issue i think, is hollywood are afraid of taking risks and losing money, so they reboot old franchises for a guaranteed buck

Yes most reboots are critical flops, but Hollywood doesnt exactly care, Most Recent Reboots have earned the studios their money back and then some, riding the nostalgia train. So Hollywood is happy to crank out reboot after reboot as fans go to see it ( and PAY to see it ) then get outraged, post about their outrage over social media, and morbid curiosity gets the better of people and they often pay to see it as well. Ghostbusters will most likely be a massive critical flop, but i think enough people are going to PAY to see it, just to see how big of a train wreck it will be. so i think overall it will be a Commercial success ( especially when you add in Toys / Sponsor deals ) that hollywood will see it as a good investment and look for other treasured classics to re-boot

7. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Hollywood has always made remakes and reboots, we just forget about them (or forget some films were actually remakes). It's nothing new.

Instead of making a fuss about every bad looking or unnecessary reboot I think we should collectively try not to care about them. Just ignore their existence. By giving it so much attention we're only giving studios incentive to make more of them.
    The mere existence of a terrible reboot you don't watch won't ruin the original film.

8. WarrenJ

WarrenJ Well-Known Member

So, do you forgive them for the abomination that was "Total Recall"? I almost asked for my money back and compensation for the 2 hours of my life I will never get back.

9. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Well-Known Member

John Campea follower? Reboots in isolation are fine, but when it becomes such an overwhelming trend then it becomes a problem.

Yes, spectacle has more return on investment than story these days due to international dilution, so you churn out a retelling of a recognizable brand name, structured around the "Save the Cat" template, and make millions, but that only looks at film from a capitalist perspective. It serves other purposes.

Film, these days, has also been democratized. There are probably more good films out there now than there were back in the day, but you really have to go looking for them and this is where the theory of benign reboots fall down. You see, our media provide us with our common cultural references, thus dictating the intellectual spectrum of discussion around them - So, we have kids growing up these days thinking The Winter Soldier is pretty high-brow

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

It gets worse! CBS has decided to reboot MacGyver as well! :duh:

This is the new MacGyver:- With CSI's George Eads as his boss/bestie:-

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: 18 May 2016
  11. jrduquemin

jrduquemin Member

Is nothing sacred to these people? :nono:

12. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

While there has yet to be a documented case of a trans person accosting a cis-gendered person in a bathroom, we now have cis-gendered people accosting each other due to baseless suspicion that they might actually be trans.

From HuffPo

13. loftie

loftie Well-Known Member

Yep, still looks....yea.

14. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

Cis-gendered?

15. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

True demote.
    (And I can't imagine how anyone could ever mistake that woman for trans, even with the cap on. How paranoid are these people?)
    ---

---

A lot better than the first trailer though IMO, technically and content-wise. I half chuckled at the first joke, which is an improvement.

Last edited: 18 May 2016
  16. legoman

legoman breaker of things

That said, BFG on the other hand actually looks good, doesnt appear its been messed with too much.

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Not all remakes are bad... but if you're celebrating the 40th anniversary of something... just show that something... don;t make a half-arsed remake of that something

18. Alekoy

Alekoy Ostekake!

Well, I just watched the trailer for the MacGyver reboot thing..
    The good; the new MacGyver is the son of the original MacGyver, and not THE MacGyver (lets just HOPE that he is named Sean)

The bad; It`s a remake....

19. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Well-Known Member

I he's explicitly stated to be the son of MacGuyver then it's a continuation of the original story timeline, so it's a new series, not a remake or reboot.

Whether it turns out to be any good or not...

Of worth note is that if it's a continuation, that leaves space for Richard Dean Anderson to appear, for extra MacGuyveriness.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo Queue Jumper

You want proper demote? Read people's comments to online news item (usually via Facebook). You wouldn't think it's humanly possible to be as dumb as that and still know how to use the internet.

I blame Facebook (For everything).