1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia sued over GeForce GTX 970 specifications

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 23 Feb 2015.

1. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

From where? Because the prices don't appear to have dropped, despite all the claims that the 970 is now 'worthless'.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm guessing you haven't heard of the saying about cutting off the nose to spite the face then.

If you can buy a GTX970 at bargain basement prices any chance you could point people in the right direction ?

While i never claimed I'm a "big deal and all" I'm certainly intelligent enough to take advantage of others folly.

3. Jinjue

Jinjue What's a Dremel?

Probably because a large number of etailers are taking nVidias crackerjack line of not accepting returns.

Give it time......they will start appearing but it will probably be too late to be worthwhile.

A few starting to dribble through on OCUK and getting there price wise

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BG-118-IN&groupid=595&catid=683

J

You cant see sarcasm?

Well.....not much point in talking about it then.

Not really folly though is it when I didn't lose out, at all. is it?

Out of curiosity.....why the defensive line on nVidia's part?

Do you think.....that what was done, what was not done and how it was handled, was acceptable?

Ignoring the internet tsunami that happened, you think its ok?

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Feb 2015
  4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That's odd because most of what i have read says large numbers of retailers are taking returns and even giving money back to 970 owners.

Not when the supposed sarcastic comment doesn't comes with a emote to denote it as such, no.

Well that depends on if people consider you lacked good sense, my betting is returning a card that performs the same as it did when you bought it and using the iGPU instead would fall into that category.

I'm not being defensive on Nvidia's behalf and i don't think what happened with the 970 was OK, mistakes happen, I'm just making fun of the people that (imho) are overreacting.

5. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Bravo, well played. Borked price for a borked card, sounds fair.

6. Jinjue

Jinjue What's a Dremel?

Not most etailers bud....just some.....as its on their own backs and I would guess that nv are most certainly not supporting them with that.

Do i really have to accompany a sarcastic comment with a notification that it is sarcastic? wtf.

And "returning a card that performs the same as it did" yes.......bought in November and returned for full value now after it has been deemed a mess.......i actually think that is bang on.....and i am grateful for it.

And dude.....if you think this was a "mistake" then you are very.....very naive. nVidia had to

No more banter about it....its done.

On another note, I acquired a GTX570 today to tide me over..........used to have one and got this nutbags cheap from a friend.

Sweet

Mothers

Milk

I used to think that was quick....LOL.

Had to dial the old BF4 settings WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY down.

7. Jinjue

Jinjue What's a Dremel?

you concur that it is borked?

8. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Yes, in so much that its specification is not what I was led to believe. If I had one, it would be going back for sure.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry but when did your large number of etailers become most ?

Well that's what emotes are for, no ? To help convey the intent of what your saying, be it serious, sarcastic, or any other emotion you wish to convey, otherwise there's a danger that what your saying will be misinterpreted, or that someone will accuse you of changing your intention to suit.

Sorry but do please provide us with evidence that it was anything other than a mistake.
    Otherwise your claim that I'm "very.....very naive" will be taken as nothing more than the rantings of a prepubescent teen with an axe to grind.

You really need to get the hang of this typing and forum thingy you know, you don't need to make multiple posts one after the other there is an edit button for a reason, you don't need to have everything you say on separate lines, and you defiantly don't need to go around calling other forum users princess or naive.

If you can't get your point across without having to result to name calling and trying to sound like a prepubescent teen then perhaps you need to think more about the point you're trying to make, lest it come across as nothing more than the rantings of a mad man/woman.

10. Jinjue

Jinjue What's a Dremel?

There you go....you got there in the end pet

All you needed was a good whine.

heh

Oh, while we are at it......you were the meat post that started citing that I was, what was it...."people like Jinjue who are willing to cut their noses off to spite their faces."

When you really have no idea.....it works absolutely fine for me. You get that? No spite. No noses. No faces.

I have lost nothing.

No-th-ing.

I could go and buy the same card again.....y'know.....seeing as it is so epic.......but I wont. ok?

And that is a good decision right now. isn't it?

Just asking because you are a big deal....and obviously know.

Seeing as you are in the market.....OcUK are shifting 970 G1's at £229 inc. vat as and when they appear.

Mine is just in through the door so there you go. They are appearing.

And just to be cur-aaaa-zaaaaay

I could go and buy it and put the 70 quid straight back into my bondage equipment or similar

Sense?

Much

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

TBH after read your posts I'm not surprised in the least that you choose to send back a perfectly working GPU, if the way you use the forums is anything to go by your not the most computer literate, polite, or affable person are you.

12. Jinjue

Jinjue What's a Dremel?

not the most computer literate - I class myself as wizzard level computer literacy (FAO CORKY> THIS IS NOT SARCASM, OK?)
    polite - marginally
    affable person - nope

Out of curiosity....what way do you use the forums? The thread was related to a GTX970 and as a day old ex-owner....I thought it prudent to share my thoughts and experiences.

To which you huffed and puffed up with a rant about faces/noses/cutting......yet and please do correct me if I am wrong, you aren't nor have ever been a GTX970 owner

Get over it....Nexxo and me have...look at us, we are basically husband and wife now.

Had you perhaps laid out 300 of her majestys finest on a card.....by far from the entry spec model.....then i would be interested in your opinions.....however, as you have not....and you are essentially on the outside looking in......everything......each puff of pap coming from you about what you might have done.....is irrelevant.

I'm sorry.

I am.

But.....that's the way i see it.

y'know. As an prepubescent teen.

So.....Corkys fuss aside.....what do you thing of Jen's response?

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/02/24/gtx-970/#sthash.7N0z7iVc.dpuf

"GTX 970 is a 4GB card. However, the upper 512MB of the additional 1GB is segmented and has reduced bandwidth. This is a good design because we were able to add an additional 1GB for GTX 970 and our software engineers can keep less frequently used data in the 512MB segment."

Basically.....512Mb of VRAM is gimped........for all intents and purposes........it is a 3.5Gb card......with 0.5Gb caching memory.

That is what he is saying.

Right out of his fingers. On his hands.

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Jinjue please use the edit button rather than multi-posting. I've been merging your posts bit it's getting tiresome. Thanks :)

14. Jinjue

Jinjue What's a Dremel?

Sorry Shirty......enjoying the DOUBLE MERGES

Sounds like "MULTIKILLLLLLLLLL"

But I will do better

I promise.

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I class myself as a wizzard level brain surgeon, but I'm not sure you would want me digging around in your skull.

And unlike you i know what the edit button does and how to construct something resembling sentences without resorting to hitting enter totally unnecessarily.

Last edited: 25 Feb 2015
  16. Jinjue

Jinjue What's a Dremel?

Please.

Try and keep on topic Corky.....you are making a mess of this thread

*sigh*

*SIGH*

17. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

It's such a "good design" that they didn't tell anyone about it until now. Such modesty. :)

This brings me on to something else I don't understand - the spec tables published by the various hardware review sites. Who provides the data? Why was the 970 quoted as having 64 ROPs when it only has 56? Why was there no mention of the "good design" above?

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'll leave that to you as you seem so adept at triple posting, being unable to use sentences, exaggerate use of the enter key, caps lock, and full stops.

After all you're the one that has ranted on for three pages, calling people names, and being a general ignoramus.

19. Jinjue

Jinjue What's a Dremel?

You done?

You know.....grammar attacks......are, well.....pretty much the last resort buddy.

Look...I want to be your friend, I really do. but I don't like you.

Sorry

x

20. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Jinjue, please rein it in, else you're looking at a temporary ban at the very least...