1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News NVIDIA Vista shenanigans roll on

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 7 Feb 2007.

1. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

This is true. My graphics professor had a chance to see the source for one of the versions of their drivers and he said it's just a complete mess. It's incredibly hacky, really hard to read and find and fix bugs. So it's not surprising they're having a hard time finding/fixing the problem.

2. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I'm curently running an SLI BFG WC 8800GTX pair and I did not expect to have full vista support for a while anyway.

lets review the facts:

1) The ENTIRE driver structure has been completely re-written in Vista

2) DirectX 10 is a new animal and 9.0L is a different breed as well in comparison to 9.0c

3) Nvidia is dealing with 2 new codebases and for any bugs has to track to see whether it is a DirectX adressing error or a driver code issue. (for either version)

combine these with the fact that the finalized code was released shortly before RTM release, and that graphics are handled by the main OS in a completely different way and you come up with the ideal conditions for a driver coding nightmare.

3. fannypad

fannypad What's a Dremel?

Why is anyone defending nvidia in this case?

I'd call it a pretty comprehensive **** up when your top-end product is not working properly with the most significant consumer software release in years that everyone's creaming their kecks over... and Dell won't be too chuffed having their £3K box sales scuppered by this.

I'm with whoever said it's a hardware issue, I hope it gets blown out of the closet Inquirer style.

I like drama.

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the thing i hate the most when someone codes is spaghetti code, it is better to make it all again than to try to fix it.

5. Steven Tarise

Steven Tarise What's a Dremel?

People cry foul when nVidia cant get a full driver our for a new OS, yet when Netgear flat out state that they're not planning on supporting 64bit systems for the forseeable future, everyone just turns a blind eye?

I've kept my old XP install on a different HDD because I knew Vista would have problems, but I was curious. Now, if I want to play games, all I do is change the drive, and I'm back. Some people will find this a difficult concept to accept, but when you're dealing with systems this complex, you have to expect some niggles along the way.

I just feel sorry for MS. You know the boys on the anti-Windows bandwagon are gonna spin this any which way they like.

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

I would imagine that the Vista drivers are a bit cleaner than XP drivers. The latter have been through thousands of revisions and supported many different product cycles over the years. :)

7. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

So how bad does it work for you tim? Have you experienced any crashes yet?

8. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I would hope so. But when you already have bad practices... :sigh:

Tags: Add Tags