1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News NZXT H1 sales stopped due to "fire hazard"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 30 Nov 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Staff Administrator

Read more

2. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Well I just had a quick look at mine and cant see anything that looks like a screw that might short onto a circuit board but it's not clear which 2 screws they mean. It could also be a batch issue with only some cases using a too long screw but who knows. I've emailed them anyway to get in the system but I don't intend to stop using but will limit its on time to when I'm next to it.

The way its described and from some of the customer reports/reviews it sounds like it would occur on first use rather than after a while (mines a couple of months old now)

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

4. Vault-Tec

These ones.

[​IMG]

Spraduke likes this.
  5. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Just had a look at mine, the screw is straight onto the circuit board and then through the steel of the chassis. Cant see how the screw length could cause a short. At first it sounded like the screw was so long that it was touching a circuit board behind it but there is only air behind the tip of the screw.

Could the head of the screw be too big? Or overtightened damaging the PCB?

Either way it seems to be a instant and rather spectacular failure rather than one caused by time so I won't loose sleep about it bursting into flames. However will fix this in the fullness of time!

Edit: A bit of reddit reading suggests it might be too large a diameter screw which is digging into the PCB rather than just going through the hole (as per mobo screws).

Last edited: 30 Nov 2020
  6. Vault-Tec

I reckon it's the head. If they had used a smaller round head (m3 perhaps, like the other risers I have) it would have been fine. If that is a gripper screw it could be damaging the PCB area on the riser if done up too tight.

7. Goatee

Goatee Well-Known Member

I have some nylon screws I tend to use to fix risers. Hard to cause a short with nylon. :D

8. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Quick update:

My repair kit just arrived but obviously took the best part of month. 3 nylon screws and nuts (1 spare) and clear instructions. My screws were bloody tight and it produced a grey/silver dust on removal. No doubt this was PCB residue. Easy fix but make sure to blow out the dust clear of the case on removal of the original screws.

Vault-Tec and blackerthanblack like this.
  9. Vault-Tec

10. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Yeah saw that this morning. Kinda confirmed the various suspicions I had read. I'm fine with plastic screws as it will probably need a pcie 4 riser in the near future

Tags: Add Tags