1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Office Chairs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WarrenJ, 8 May 2018.

1. WarrenJ

WarrenJ Well-Known Member

So after suffering a bad back for a few months the only thing I can attribute it to is sitting at my desk with bad posture.

Can anyone suggest a good office chair? Are the gaming chairs any good or just over-priced rubbish compared to other brands?

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Super Moderator Super Moderator

Everyone has their preference, and that's just what it is - preference. No such thing as a best or worst office chair for you (okay, so there's probably a worst).

Try as many as you can out and pick what feels best, particularly if you've been suffering back pain.

Herman Miller and Steelcase make well regarded, ergonomic chairs, though can get expensive. The Ikea Markus chair isn't hugely adjustable, but it is hugely cheap and can be comfortable if you happen to be the right size for it. Looking at the "gaming" chairs seems to suggest they value form over function (all seem to be a car seat on a post for some reason?), so I'd steer clear. That said, I've never tried one out so could be wrong.

No-name ergonomic operator chairs can be fairly inexpensive, though not exactly pleasant looking. I personally don't find some of them all that comfortable either (ergonomic != comfortable)

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

This chair is one I always get my workplace to get me. It's adjustable in every way imaginable and very comfortable. It's not what some may call pretty, but I'd rather have an ugly chair than be a cripple.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

This. I wuv my original-gen Aeron. Yes, they're the sharp end of a grand new, but you can pick 'em up second-hand for reasonable money: they show up here for £240 (but are out of stock at the moment), and eBay has 'em for under £300 - or less if you're close to one of the collection-only offerings.

5. David

David RIP Tel

Gaming chairs are largely terrible in terms of ergonomics. I've heard people (mainly owners) claiming otherwise - probably confusing adjustable bits as proof of quality - but my son's GT Omega was £250 and is frikkin awful, IMO.

I'd like an Aeron myself just because they look so bloody cool, but I can't imagine it'd be significantly better than my Steelcase Leap v2. I'd probably jump if I saw a good used one at a bargainiferous price and maybe donate mine to my son, but I'm happy as I am.

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I bought a Vertigear gaming chair on a black friday deal, and it's miles better than my old chair (which was just a bog standard office chair, I'd bought from Staples about 15+ years ago) although I'm sure that all these chairs are severely overpriced for the amount of comfort they offer.
    Saying that though, I found the lumber support cushion didn't quite agree with my back and have since swapped it out for a memory form pillow. Also, as it's a leather, you do tend to sweat a lot while sitting on it for long periods.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Without knowing your financial circumstances it's tough. I would not recommend a single cheap chair. Herman Millers are nice, though I had a problem with the arm flaking on my Sahl. I did want an Aeron but sadly I could not find it in a size C without selling my spleen. If you are well off then this.

https://www.2ndhnd.com/collections/...man-miller-embody-task-chair-new-black-fbaric

Is about as good as it gets. Do check out the site, they offer great bargains and I have had a Steelcase Let's B from them that was nice.

I wish I had known before what I know now. IE - stop putting all of my cash into things like GPUs and sitting with a bad posture because I was cheap and bought a crap chair. I still suffer back pain now, from the many years I sat with an awful posture. I currently have a Humanscale Freedom Headrest with a couple of upgrades (gel arms for example) and it's fantastic. However, if I was not so wide I would get an Embody. The good thing about the Freedom is it forces you to sit in the correct posture. And I gotta say, it's more comfy than any chair I sit in anywhere, including my mother's leather sofa which hurts my ass and my knees because it's too low.

But yeah, do it once and do it right.

8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Like they said above, it’s all down to personal preference. My gaming chair (OPSEAT) is freaking fantastic for me. I can easily sit in it for hours upon hours without any issue. It has optional back support with cushions as well, though I don’t use them.

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Say that when you are into your 40s. I could sit on a box until about five years ago.

10. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

True. I forget how old some of you folk are. :rollingeyes:

Vault-Tec likes this.
  11. iggy

iggy Active Member