1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Old games revamped

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Stef, 14 May 2008.

1. Stef

Stef What's a Dremel?

Having just built a nice new comp. I decided to play through some old games. Unfortunately, most wont even install or start before they crash.
    This got me to wondering, what games would I/you like to see being remade and updated with support for all the hi res/widescreen/fast cpus/enhanced sound now used, keeping all the gameplay/story elements from the old.
    For me, these are mainly old single player based games that I played before getting a net connection.

- Terra Nova
    - Dungeon Keeper 1 or 2
    - Terminal Velocity
    - TIE Fighter
    - Aquanox
    - Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall
    - F22: TAW
    - Wargasm
    - Crusader: No Remorse and No Regret
    - System Shock 1 and 2
    - Deus Ex
    - Thief ... all of them (for some reason 3 installs and starts up, I play 5 minutes and my screen turns off :sigh: )

2. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Someone needs to remake Deus Ex in the Source engine, now that would be awesome.

3. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Theres a deux ex hi-res texture remake. Every few months or so they release a new set, its not exactly a complete overhaul in a new engine, but it does add to the game. Check it out: http://offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

agree with deus ex, it's deserving of a revamp. improve the ai too, it desperately needs that. System shock could do with an update, just so i can actually have a go and see what the fuss is all about. and terminal velocity....i have fond memories of that game! loved it! only ever played the shareware demo so i'd love the full version.

5. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

I second the notion for system shock 1 and 2 to be remade. However if you're having trouble with old games why not grab a copy of virtual pc from the microsoft site? Then buy or otherwise obtain of copy of windows 98 and start playing some retro games!

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

System Shock 2 is a pain to run on any system. There's all sorts of issues with it, though the -lgnt force parameter often helps it run native. Once it is running there are some hi-res mods already out there.

I also found System Shock 1 Portable recently - improved compatability for new OS', runs off a USB stick and has increased texture resolution. Well worth a look.

http://www.strangebedfellows.de/index.php/topic,211.0.html

Thief 3 just doesn't work in Vista. No old Eidos games do and the publisher no longer supports them. It's the main reason I'm going to downgrade to XP as soon as possible since I really want to play Riddick, Thief and Fahrenheit again.

7. Major

Major Guest

MDK2, just installed it, still an awesome game!

8. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

alien vs predator and road rash spring to mind

9. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

aahhh... Golden Eye Source .... so near, so close... yet so far away! :sigh:

10. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

I'd have to say the longest journey, or any of the older Lucas Arts adventure games

11. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

DIABLO 2!!!!!!! Or make a diablo 3

12. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

omg simtower! :)

(though it does work on vista!)

13. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

would quite like to see a remake of fallout and fallout 2 (thou i havent played 2 yet)

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

There's a remake of Maniac Mansion out there somewhere and the Sam and Max episodes are pretty good.

15. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Thats tonight sorted, :thumb: not got round to buying the Sam and Max episodes, I know the fourth is free on steam but I do'nt want to start part way through.

Thinking about it there are so many games I'd love remade, the list would be huge. I can happily go back to a game I've played in the past, but I have difficulty playing an older game for the first time, psychologically I seem to shy away from the dated looks/graphics. I've lost track of the amount of times I've tried to play through beneath a steel sky, fallout, or deus ex but I can happily play through 7th guest, half life or day of the tentacle.

I also got a bit addicted to Pssst on the spectrum as a kid, I'd love to see an updated version of that, or chuckie egg.

16. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

classics that need to be revived:
    SimTower
    RoadRash
    DK 1 & 2

And Deus Ex in a new engine would be fanastic.

Why isn't there a game company that buys up these old gems and revamps them?

17. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Make Diablo 3 and i might have to sue Blizzard for taking away my life.

18. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Warzone 2100.

19. Neoki

Neoki Minimodder

Golden Axe :D

20. Stef

Stef What's a Dremel?

Heh, found some more, should really think about clearing some of my storage boxes out:

XCOM ... all of them
    C&C Renegade (I wanna play with Tanya next time round :D )

Tags: