1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Once you taste water you don't go back??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M_D_K, 7 Nov 2003.

?

Once you've tasted water, air just don't cut it

1. Agree

150 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. Disagree

53 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Phase change baby. Yeah!!!!

35 vote(s)
    14.5%
  4. Other [please state]

4 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Buff6969

Buff6969 What's a Dremel?

Could you all bash heads and come up with a water cooling kit for a WC-curious guy like myself? Id like a Danger Den RBX kit as i hear there the best atm .
    looking to spend 200-300 notes .
    Im runnin an AthlonXP system with 5 case fans and an Aero 7 !! its really noisy . I want a quiter PC , and i want to really push hardware to its limits . I wouldnt mind having some parts outside the case , I could make an aluminium box for them + secure it to the top of my case .
    I want to cool my CPU and NB , il leave my 98xt with its HS on as it cools the RAM .
    Where in the UK can you get distilled water? i wouldnt no where to being looking .

2. olv

olv he's so bright

www.coolercases.co.uk will be able to sort you out no problems although i'd definately go with a whitewater over an rbx, they are difficult and crappy to mount on AXPs.

I just bought 5 litres of deionised water from halfords for £4, you can get it from any garage/car mechanic type place in the car battery section.

[/hijack]

3. Buff6969

Buff6969 What's a Dremel?

hm , ok and ok! When i buy it im gonna install , fit pipes , remove +test before actually running it , what else should i be aware of? i dont want to have to ring the govt coz theres a new life form in the tubes !!

um , I cant see a 'white water' kit , does it have any other names?

4. olv

olv he's so bright

It's a D-Tek block, just buy the parts, it's not so hard. You need CPU block (D-tek whitewater), Northbridge block (danger den z-chip), a pump (eheim 1250), a radiator (single 120mm fan size will be fine) + fan, a resevoir, some 1/2" tubing, hose clips and some water wetter.

start a new thread if you need to know anything else. this shouldn't be in here.

5. toss

toss What's a Dremel?

For this computor my budget wasnt high enugh for good water cooling so i went with the SLK-900a with 92mm evercool high speed fan and i have to see i like it more than cheap water cooling... When i get some money ill go watercooling but it wil have to be high quality

6. Heavytank2

Heavytank2 What's a Dremel?

If I happen to go A64 I will be sticking to air. Why? Well, you can only OC via the FSB. So why even bother? I know that sounds silly.. but its already 400 FSB and you can get maybe 210-220 out of it max. So pfft..

But, for a socket A system, definately staying water! So much OC headroom its not funny. Especially with an NF7 + Mobile proc.

7. olv

olv he's so bright

ahhh you make me laugh.

with a decent motherboard with pci/agp locks and decent ram you'll easily be looking at 250fsb. I've seen many a64 benches at 280fsb+ so it's just as worth while watercooling a64 as it is any other cpu. That's like saying it's not worth water cooling or even evaporative cooling Pentium 4 which people have been doing for years.

8. Heavytank2

From what I have seen on forums, you need a decent stepping to think about going past 220. Thats why I said that.

9. olv

olv he's so bright

10. Simonsnet

Simonsnet What's a Dremel?

I will take up that challenge good sir. My watercooling is as silent as it gets, I ran my mobile barton @ 2.4ghz at an acceptable temperature when I had it, with absolutely no change in noise levels.

What watercooling setup have I got? Zalman Reserator of course :D

PWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNED!!!

11. KniFenForK

KniFenForK Minimodder

What temps are you getting with the Zalman Reserator? I can't see it outperforming a custom setup tbf!

12. Simonsnet

Simonsnet What's a Dremel?

41 degs load with a P4c 2.8ghz. Using stock cooling, that chip was hitting 64degs during the height of summer, and was generally at 61degs.

When I was running my mobile barton setup I had it at around 48 degs load @ 2.5ghz.

Pretty impressive in my book. Bear in mind, that is completely silent as well :D

13. Heavytank2

1.8Ghz @ 1.65v XP
    23C Ambient, 33C Idle, 37C Load

One fan, 7v on a dual 120 core.

14. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Ok, I have to say that water is way different from air due to something that a lot of people aren't mentioning, aside from Nexxo:

Water is an art form.

Air can get some really good results (I have a zalman CU7000 on my main rig for now, and like it a lot for its functionality), there is no question. So when it comes to function, unless you're truly going extreme, air is fine. If you do go extreme, a TEC is a logical next step to truly beat air, so water becomes just an addition.

But true water cooling, man, that's an art. Look at Metaversa. Look at Coolmiester's wavemasters. Look at Orac. Go on, tell me they're not pretty. Just tell me that the box you have sitting there with its fans spinning loudly, overclocked to heaven but ugly as **** can compare. The greatest modding setups use water and make it look beautiful, because only water can provide that certain fluid, bionic look.

Phase change can do extreme clocks (albeit with a whole air conditioner on your floor), and quality air cooling (read: loud, big, or both) can be as effective as water. But nothing, NOTHING looks as pimpin'.

15. d0z

d0z Minimodder

absolutely agree, the performance is fantastic and its really fun to do.. not only that, it looks really good inside a modded case aswell.

16. zackbass

zackbass What's a Dremel?

I can't imagine going back to air cooling from water. The only fan in my system is inside the PSU and I'm running my 2.4C at 3.0Ghz. Maximum performance, minimum noise, and absolutely beautiful looks.

17. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

Although I agree with Nexxo that H2O can evoke the inner engineer in us all and occasionally rise to the level of art, blind adherence to the method seems silly.

As I've risen from socketA through 754 and finally to 939, processor temps have dropped.
    My 90nm 3500 Winnie is the coolest CPU I've ever run and an AC Freezer64 kept it under 30C no matter what.
    Video cards on the other hand, have turned into infernos.
    Especially SLI rigs.

I seriously considered running only the vid card in the waterloop, but decided to go the distance and do the whole package.
    GPU temps dropped and, as expected, CPU temps rose (a bit).

OK, that's all fine, but moving totally to water has had an unexpected consequence.
    Now my RAM needs some sort of fannage as it no longer benefits from the backwash of air from the CPU cooler.
    It doesn't help that socket 939 boards all seem to cram the DIMM slots as closely together as possible.
    [​IMG]
    This is the initial setup.
    I can already see room for improvement, but no matter what, I expect to install some booster fans for the RAM .

18. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

I'm glad you can because i can hardly see a thing from that pic :D

Is your system unstable due to your RAM overheating???

19. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

I picked up a couple 60mm x 20mm fans a while ago, 1 for my NB and 1 for my R9800Pro. I wanted to get "name brand" ones but all they had were the generic ones made by Startech. They were cheap enough so I thought I'd give'em a go. I gotta tell ya I am really impressed. At 7V they are damn near silent and at 5V totaly silent. At 7V they move enough air to allow me to clock my 9000pro at 490MHz consistently.

Now back to the thread at hand...
    I understand the argument pro-air peeps make. And in a non OCed or mildly OCed system I think a good air solution is just fine, except for the ones who are just after the "bling" factor (not that there's anything wrong with that). But beyond that... I just dont see how any air solution can compete with say a chevette HC with a 120mm at even 5V in both noise and performance - assuming ofcourse you have a good quiet pump. IMHO water is a huge improvement over air in every category except maybe complexity, but some (myself included) would consider that a plus. It looks awesome - if done right, and an almost guarantee of better performance with less noise. To me wanting to go back to air is like saying... I dont like that BMW, I'd be happier with a Chevette. Just my opinion :worried:

[edit]
    I forgot to compliment Clocker on his rig! Very clean setup!
    [/edit]

20. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Highly doubtful. It takes a LOT to make ram overheat to the point where it becomes the source of the problem. The probability there is very low.