1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Onlive??!!!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Whalemeister, 24 Mar 2009.

1. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Turn based games would work...

2. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

:hehe:

Yeah, for that I wish them the best of luck!

I imagine this company will tank when their idea fails.

Or they will just have to settle for less.

3. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I laugh at you everytime I read that, Windows 7 is older than Vista. Vista is a tweaked version of 7, not the other way around. What was supposed to be a cut down version became a victim of feature creep.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Ah, that explains why Vista is kernel 6000 and 7 is 6001! :eyebrow:

From Wikipedia:

5. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

I think the only way this could work (an God I hope it does) is for their servers to be on the internet back-bone, dealing directly with ISPs.

The fair use policy is gonna be their biggest hurdle in the UK, but then if they are dealing with ISPs direct, that problem could be solved at the source.

Part of their plan is to offer cheap dev-kits that run in the onlive system, so you can develop on PC, Mac or even TV if you wanted, so depending on the cost I think the mod scene could actually thrive.

6. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

7. AQNFX

AQNFX Twist The Grip, Let It Rip!

I think it will be like Saga Dream Cast. Many will swear by it but in the end it just did work towards the masses.

As many of said, I love my hard copies and I love to build my own system and be able to look over at my accomplishment.

Hehe it made me think of the Virtual Boy.

And if you truly think about it, if it was all that good, why isn't Microsoft or Sony trying to buy it. After all Microsoft is trying to buy Nintendo (because of the success of the Wii).

8. Major

Major Guest

Well you learn something new everyday. ;)

9. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Er, what? Don't be absurd - Windows 7 is still not final code, whereas Vista was released over 2 years ago. They share a lot of common features and code, but Windows 7 is very much an evolution of Vista, not the other way around.

10. Major

Major Guest

Is what I thought, oh well.

"Onlive Will Work"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7976206.stm

11. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

lol i had that link copied to paste it.

hes very definsive over it in that article

12. Major

Major Guest

If "anyone" works on something for SEVEN years, and the same day you reveal it, without any testing or real life usage, the majority of the technology world, the people who will be "using" your service, thinks it's all rubbish, you're going to be defensive!

:)

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

must be some ace algorithm and massively parallel, only need less than 100Mhz to compress the data! and less than 2w of power!

well, if OnLive fails, they should re-market those into codec cards, eg, encode 1080p on the fly. i'd love a programme like that so all my videos can be viewed on my iPhone. currently, i have to encode ones i want to watch with my CPU (or GPU using badaboom) first.

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I don't mind using Badaboom at all. 720p in real-time? I'll take that, thank you very much!

15. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

Interesting article here shows the lag in some console games, very few are below 100ms, so assuming the power of their cloud servers could get the in-game lag down, they've then got a healthy overhead for network lag.

Also check out the heavenly sword video on linked in the article, 300ms lag, completely unplayable if you ask me

16. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

very interesting article, so for console crowd it'd probably be a huge step.

but for PC gamers, i have to say i did felt the "167ms" in GTA4 when it was first released on PC and on PS3 (less on PS3 due to analogue stick). only after patch 1.0.2 did Rockstar managed to smooth out the gameplay for an enjoyable experience.

see if you can feel the 100ms lag, go and try out GTA4 on highest your card will allow without any patch, i am 100% sure you'd feel it when moving around with the mouse.

as long as we don't attach a mouse to OnLive, no one will notice the input lag :) Heavenly Sword was okay on the PS3, felt no lag when using the controller.

17. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

I think that this is going to be horrible for FPS games. In those games since a lot of times it comes down to ms to determine whether or not you die. I have my reservations about this. I think I will stick to normal buy the game gaming. :blah:

18. Red Eye

Red Eye Minimodder

I agree C-Sniper, you could say the same for Quick Time Events, I can imagine the frustration and amount of OnLive hardware attributed to the lag.

Just imagine, your playing resident evil 5, boss encounter you have a trickle of heath left and so does the boss, all you need is one good shot, you leap out of the shadows, aim your reticle AND...

*Buffering... please wait*

19. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

One of the biggest things that draws users to pc gaming is that you can make it suit your needs. From selecting the best settings to equipment to reduce lag in FPS games especially every millisecond counts. If people did not care about these things they would be using a console in the first place with perhaps a mouse hooked up to it. To me this tech seems only directed at people who already play consoles and do not use there pc for much. Also unless they can deliver a constant 100+fps that is going to cause problems too as now users will not be able to take advantage of high tick servers and thus suffer from even worse shot registration.

On another note, think of current remote desktops or even some of those lcd screens that have super high processing lag. Even using regular windows desktop on those is very slow and something like gaming to any degree is laughable.