1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Pardon My Ignorance, But...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Darmoe, 24 Jul 2010.

1. Darmoe

Darmoe What's a Dremel?

In looking at some lists of games "compatible" with Windows 7 I keep seeing notations such as MOH Airborne @ x64... makes no sense to me... what is x64?

I've looked all over that program and can't figure out what kind of setting that is supposed to be or what the trick is to making Airborne play properly

HELP!

2. c0rnzey

c0rnzey What's a Dremel?

x64 means using a version of Windows that is 64-bit rather than 32 bit which is x86.

It allows you to address more memory and get better performance out of 64-bit processors using applications/games which are optimised for 64-bit.

3. Snaek

Snaek What's a Dremel?

If you're not sure which you have, press the Windows key and Pause on your keyboard at the same time, and the system info window will pop up. Look at the line labeled "System type." It will either say 64-bit (x64) or 32-bit (x86) operating system.

4. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

Also, 32 bit programs should work fine on 64 bit operating systems - there are some exceptions (I haven't found any yet though).

Drivers have to be 64 bit for an x64 operating system though I think, and 32 bit for x86.