1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics PCI Express x4 GFX Card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Buzzons, 9 Feb 2012.

1. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

EBAY. You will have to ask the seller if they will ship it to UK though... They are easy to find in the US.

2. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Awesome.. apart from clicking on "shipping" gives

US $53.40
    United Kingdom
    USPS Express Mail InternationalTM
    Between 4-6 business days
    Seller ships within 1 day after receiving cleared payment .

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Oh, that's what I meant, to ask if they would just send it as first class so shipping should only be like $10.

4. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

5. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

There's a 1x Quadro card for £60 at Scan here. I'm pretty sure a Quadro would play nice driver wise with a GeForce card.

6. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

True, but that's dramatically more expensive than what is really needed. Plus Quattro cards might not. I'm not sure if they run on ordinary Forceware drivers.

7. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I couldn't find a decent pic of your board, so I have had to resort to this:

[​IMG]

You are trying to achieve what ASRock have done for you on this board, as expalined further up the thread simply take a very sharp craft knife and slice the thin plastic tab off the back of the slot.

Just take your time, it's all too easy to slip and knock the surface of the board if you're not in a good position with good lighting, but it can be done relatively easily.

9. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

sweet :) Will probably have to remove the other cards from the mobo to make sure i don't much it up but it seems easy enough. Hopefully my stanley knife will be sharp enough

10. .//TuNdRa

Just take it slowly. that's the best advice I can give here. Don't go sawing away wildly. Just a little bit at a time.

11. Shirty

Since your card must have arrived by now, have you had a go at this yet? I need closure! :hehe:

12. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

It arrived today.. I'll be cutting up my mobo later... if i don't post after this...well....... xD

13. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

weeeeell pc still turns on but i can't cut the back off the pcie slot. tried for ages... (about an hour) and got about 2mm deep into it. so i'm giving up, sending the card back to play.com and trying to find a pce1x card :/

14. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

Don't give up yet! Just use a sharper blade and more force. If it helps, try removing the motherboard from the case. Alternately, do you have a normal PCI slot free? Because there are PCI graphics cards available.

15. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

16. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

updated plan - even though we've seen these earlier in the thread it appears that I totally failed to realise that ZOTAC were doing pcie1x and PCI cards.. so I've gone and ordered one of these to sit on my PCI bus at the bottom of the case and be silent and out of the way. I've got no use for PCIx slots so hopefully it'll just plug in and work :)

http://www.zotac.com/index.php?page...9&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=100257&lang=en

17. Shirty

Sorry the slicing didn't work out. But looks like you have solved the issue now.

18. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

borrowed a pcie1x card from a mate at work today and put it in - seems to work ok. However, my Xonar D2x now seems to not want to put audio out :/ (or at least at level i can hear - if i pump the volume up as high as my speakers can go i can just about hear it)

19. .//TuNdRa

Does that card not have a floppy connector on the back for dedicated power? If something starts leeching the motherboard's power; it would drop without that extra input.
    I get exactly the same effect if I unintentionally jog the power cable to my DX, it doesn't cut out, just goes ultra-quiet on me.

20. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

humm could be that then, i'll double check the power cable:(