1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Pete J's thread of Lego building (current project: 76210 Iron Man Mark 44 Hulkbuster - Alternate)

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 21 Sep 2019.

1. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

Well I got another Lego model for my Birthday, total build time about 20 hours over 10 days (still awaiting 2 missing pieces but that didn't really slow the build down).

Not the best location or picture but that will change once I build some display shelves in the near future......

keef247, Pete J and IanW like this.
  2. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Daytona SP3

Well, she's done!

[​IMG]

Here she is with her siblings, having displaced the Defender (don't worry, it's been moved to my study):

[​IMG]

A fun build. The 'Pimp my Ferrari' upgrades are definitely nice to have (spring loaded doors that stay up, gear selection indicator, Hand of God steering, slightly improved rear cover holding open mechanism). There's a fair amount of pieces left over, but these can go into other projects, so no worries. How does it rate compared to the Lambo? Perhaps a teeny bit better in terms of incremental improvements. I have to say that the way the doors open is pretty cool (look it up on Youtube if curious).

If there was one negative comment I would make, I think it's time Lego updated the humble engine/cylinder block. Because it's so large, it's out of scale with everything else. There's always the '2L with half bosses' approach as seen in the smaller scale cars and the Defender, but a bit of refinement wouldn't go amiss.

Now all I have to do is wait for my friend to visit mid year from America as he's kindly bought me the additional booklet that goes with it...

Sauron

A tiny bit of progress, but nothing really worth showing, and progress has also been halted by a couple of missing DBG wedge tiles.

Razor Crest

John Lewis has a sale a little while ago, knocking £105 off the retail price, so...

[​IMG]

Don't worry, there's a MOC upgrade for it! Specifically:

75331 Razor Crest Upgrade

Features added:
    - add a toilet next to the sleeping room
    - removable front landing gear
    - retractable rear landing gears (they're strong as the original)
    - add a display stand (229 parts)
    - tidy up the front panel
    - add more details to the laser cannons
    - entirely flip the boarding ramps
    - enlarge the rear entrance so that blurrg can walk through it
    - fill gaps and holes around the body and engines

Don't hold your breath though - I want to build the Millennium Falcon first...

Weekly_Estimate and IanW like this.
  3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Thought I'd give this thread an update as it's been more than a month.

I've been busy this month, dealing with a broken down car (which I'm unfortunately calling it quits on and going to buy a new car - Volvo V40 Diesel manual, because I like having a car with a 500-900 mile full tank range depending on how I drive it) and having an awesome holiday.

Not much to report. I found the missing parts for Sauron, dug through my spare parts again to see what bits I already have for the Razor Crest upgrade, and finished counting out the last delivery I had (remember, the one that went missing for a while?).

There are a few potential future projects that have caught my eye however...

Hulkbuster upgrade

[​IMG]

Gives a much needed overhaul to this much maligned set, but there are still some bits that aren't quite right - for example, the knee arc reactors are actually better on the original. Maybe I can mix and match...

Executor Class Star Destroyer

[​IMG]

Looks better than the official version.

Ferrari F90 Stradale

[​IMG]

I've actually looked at this mod before, but the designer has released this Mk2 version, which looks GOOD. Might add this to the list of MOCS I'll do if I complete all the ones I currently have in my sights.

Anyway, progress will continue to be non-existent as I want to focus on the absolutely MASSIVE backlog of photos I have from previous holidays. The downside of travelling with a group is that they all assume you take good photos with your camera, and therefore want you to share...

Last edited: 3 May 2023
    IanW likes this.
  4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Now I have a UCS Razor Crest on the way, I'll be looking at that MOC myself.
    Meanwhile, my wallet is becoming concerned:-

[​IMG]

Byron C, MadGinga and Pete J like this.
  5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I missed out on Curiosity, I am not missing out on Percy.

Pete J and IanW like this.
  6. keef247

keef247 Modder

You'll have to hold your breath if you want to sleep next to a shitter! :hehe::naughty:

Last edited: 3 May 2023
    IanW and Pete J like this.
  7. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Just built the original VW camper van, and mirrored it so its a UK layout.
    Lovely build.

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

9. keef247

keef247 Modder

I hope you informed the DVLA, that counts as a modification and could void your insurance if not declared...

MadGinga likes this.
  10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Whelp, it was a nice, sunny, Sunday, so I stayed indoors and started the AT-AT...

[​IMG]

And Sauron is progressing:

[​IMG]

Dot_Kappa and IanW like this.
  11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Same story as last weekend...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IanW likes this.
  12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

[​IMG]

YES

PLEASE!

To be released June 1st. There's also a Wolverine and a Captain America, but The Dark Knight is clearly the best.

Byron C and BeauchN like this.
  13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Sauron complete!

[​IMG]

I completed this faster than expected as I needed to clear the table for some WH40K assembly and painting. Nice model, only remotely difficult bits were the bits around the shoulders.

I was shopping at Tesco's this morning, and noticed this for £27 (RRP £45):

[​IMG]

Last one too. Might even get around to building it this weekend.

keef247, IanW and MadGinga like this.
  14. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Soon your shelves will need shelves :jawdrop:

15. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

Have you seen this alternate build on rebrickable...
    [​IMG]

Noice. is that on rebrickable?

Pete J likes this.
  16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Must be a bigger scale version. The standard LEGO set looks like this:-
    [​IMG]

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Yup, Ransomfern excels again! I'm currently kicking myself for not picking it up when I found it for £100 off, and the MOC is so popular that the model may actually never be that cheap again. Regardless, I shall be keeping my eyes open.

Yup, Executor is on Rebrickable.

You are correct, sir.

IanW likes this.
  18. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

My daughter has so many lego just sitting un made as she's got a very small bedroom, plus she was building the f1 maclarn but she's had so many parts missing though lego are great with sending out the missing parts but this has now happened 3 times now.
    She's so jealous of your collection though :)

19. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Got Groot finished up:

[​IMG]

And I gave in to my impulses and bought this for £75 less than RRP:

[​IMG]

As @MadGinga has already posted, I will be building a MOC alternative build:

[​IMG]

I did also pick up this little chap cheap on eBay to go inside:

[​IMG]

IanW and MadGinga like this.
  20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Over two months since I last updated this thread! Let's see:

UCS AT-AT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was aiming to finish it off this weekend, but it would've been rushed and a late night, so better to leave it for another relaxed weekend - one more should do it.. Anyway, very sturdy, and moving the head via the little lever is pretty cool. The head is also exceptionally easy to open up, revealing Veers and his two crew members.

I've also purchased a couple of other sets:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lego news

42159 Yamaha MT-10 SP

[​IMG]

A follow up to the 42130 BMW M 1000 RR, I like the look of this one much more (I still haven't picked up the BMW, but never say never...). Reviews say it improves on the weaknesses of its fore comer, stiffening up things here and there, as well as tying in with Lego's augmented reality (AR) app, which is worth checking out for the novelty factor. Going to keep an eye on the price - give it a few months and it should be found for at least £50 cheaper (it's already £10 less on Amazon).

10318 Concorde

[​IMG]

A nice rendition of a phenomenal aircraft. Dunno if I'll pick it up or not, we'll see.

Captain America's Shield

[​IMG]

Definitely a display piece - reviews say it is one of the most repetitive builds out there. Still, it'll look good on my Avengers/comic book Lego wall. I've already seen it for £20 less than RRP, so a bit of waiting and I'll pick this up.

And biggest for last...

Liebherr Crawler Crane LR 13000

[​IMG]

Yes, I will be getting this, but nearer Christmas, when hopefully at least £80 (if not £100) has been knocked off the price! This should be able to fit on the same cabinet as I have the 42100 Liebherr R 9800 Excavator sat upon, with the crane arm overhanging it, if things go to plan.

boiled_elephant, IanW and Yaka like this.