1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress ****** PHINIX CUBE ******* - the one and only:)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by phinix, 3 Dec 2007.

1. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Let us know how you get on with the IDE-Sata converter. I'm thinking of using one of these becuase I really want a slot loader for my masterplan, and oddly nobody makes a SATA version.

2. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I'm using the same slimline IDE->SATA converter in my project and it works just fine.

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

SATA converter works fne, just installed it and works perfect!

Anyway - here is finished dvd cover / box... all in chrome tape, looks a lot better in real, photos dont show it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course dvd is coming out 5mm in the front for a reason - it will be moved in front 5mm clear panel and touch the black tinted one on the front that is why it doesnt have to look pretty in the front or rear - as you see I added small pieces of chrome tape on both sides from dvd to the end of cover (left and right side). It looks cheap but it will be covred with front panel so it wont be seen. Rear also will be covered later, so only sides and top is what is actually matters. I hope you like it - I love the way it looks now and soon I will screw it to the top main panel...

4. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

So to sum up this project, after I finish tray and mount it, here’s what needs to be done:
    - mount radiator on his frame
    - attach my new shiny PSU I bought few days ago (!!!!!) - Termaltake 850W Modular !!!!!
    - make a back panel for PSU (since it will come through the 5mm rear wall and stop on 5mm small panel made of red acrylic.. thats the plansmile)
    - figer out how to mount drive cage
    - make a junction box with switches from behind for controling the lights in Da Cube
    - make led lights (under the cube, side lights, tray lights...)
    - build water cooling loop and test it, then mount it in Da Cube
    - install side panels and glue those biohazard logos on sides with the signs
    - make a front panel - that means cut and drill all necessary holes for all the stuff - a lot of measuring and cutting…
    - cables management + sleeving
    - attach the dvd to the top panel

A lot of work waiting there…

Last edited: 20 Oct 2008
  5. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Although you still have some work to do, it already looks nice ;) Glad to see some progress in this topic.

6. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Remarkable plexi skills mate, looks really good.

7. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

I liked the drive cage better with the aluminum and red plexi look better, but it still looks great either way. Keep up the great work! :dremel:

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

QFT

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Chrome tape? Does it happen to look like chrome on both sides? Do you think it could be used for electromagnetic sheilding? -Or is it faux-metal mylar?

10. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I know it could look nice with plexi only, but the problem is this is not red at all - I wanted to have a nice red plexi but this one ended up orange/pink version in direct sun light so that is why I covered it. The real red plexi I'm using in the cube (biohazard symbols) would be better but I spent too much money in this project and need to keep last pieces of it for few other parts I will make:)

11. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Yes, both sides chrome, but don't think it would work as a shield..

12. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Working on front panel lately. Wanted to ask: what do you guys think about new version of front panel? Small hex shape cuts, two color plexi parts - black frame and red inside... it may look nice... ???

[​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Sep 2008
  13. The boy 4rm oz

Looks good. I especially like the center ring. I dunno if it goes with the rest of the theme though.

14. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Well.. its suppose to be same like in Crysis EA lgoo;) All those hex as well - Crysis hex mesh thing...
    Is that better than that first front panel?

15. The boy 4rm oz

Do you have a shot of the old design? I can't seem to find it.

16. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

page 13, black one... that was the latest... was that better? What could I add red in that old one?? I would like to add sth from red acrylic on the front too...

17. The boy 4rm oz

After taking a look at the old design I must say it does look cleaner, not as busy. However it does look kinda dull in it's simplicity. I have no idea how you could add red to that design, it would just look out of place.

The new design would tie in very well. The honey comb pattern matches the side panel design. The red ties in perfectly with the rest of you red plexi and ads contrast to the bio hazard logo and text that will be on the sides.

I would go the new design. It will be more work but worth it.

18. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Not good... project going so slowly like a blood from a nose and I'm finding problems with everything. Now when I have found how I'm gonna do front panel:

[​IMG]

..I found out that I cannot put dvd on the top cause new GTX280 with its 2 cables coming up will take whole height of the second level... that mean I had to get dvd back on first level, where is so small space that its hard to put it in... 220 radiator moved to the center of the cube because of that 3mm frame, taking that 3mm. Dvd can be fit only with that aluminium frma I made before. But now I need second radiator, at least 120mm for cooling OC'ed e8400 and GTX280. So I have two options:

1) put 120mm radiator onside, on the back right corner of the cube, cutting 80mm round hole for it, then screwing 80-120 fan adapter, 120mm fan and then rad... I alraedy bought the fan, Yeate Loon red led - very pretty, so now I would need a clear acrylic fan adpater. But this way 120mm rad will stick out pretty far from the cube...

2) Reorganise everything in first level, that means build new drive cage - this time cage for 120mm radiator with fan, dvd and hdd...

Already created sketchup for this cage.. would look sth like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BUT! For this cage I would have to chaneg front panel, and that means chrome ring is going bye bye...:(
    ..or moving it higher and making ring in the middle of second level and then long hole for dvds almost in the middle of the cube cause dvd will land up on the top of new cage, which will be in the center of cube actually...

I'm going on 2 weeks holiday now, so have time think what to do when come back...
    Last week bought a lot of stuff. Spent huge amount of money... Got GTX280 XSPC water block, more hose, new black t-line, 120mm fan Yate Loon red led version, new ram - Corsair Dominator, some more red leds, well, and what is most important and didn't mention here - GTX280 card:)
    So... now need to decide what to do with that 120mm rad...

EDIT:

I'm just bored on my night shift:)

Here's idea for new front panel with dvd in the middle... How cool is that ??!!! :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Oct 2008
  19. The boy 4rm oz

That is a cool panel but the Crysis esque one takes the cake IMO. I would go will mounting the radiator as option one BUT only if you can cut a 120mm hole, not an 80mm one.

20. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Problem is I dont have 120mm square space on the back panel:( there is max 90mm... just above mobo I/O panel...

..and what does it mean?:) "Crysis esque one takes the cake IMO" ??:)