1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 1 - Complete - see Stage 2 thread

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 1 Nov 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

look at the back of the case (2nd pic) at the bottom, there are the plugs. just use an extension.

2. Blackbriar

Blackbriar What's a Dremel?

Here is a model, its not the final ^^

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Feedback please :D

the rooms are separated for the reduction of the noise.
    My english is not the best, but i hope one of you know, what i mean :D

Last edited: 7 Nov 2010
  3. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

This is where I am at now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

managed to rip the backplate and hdd caddy off a design I did about 6 months ago, will save quite a bit of time lol. Its starting to progress nicely now :)

4. Razer2007

Looks cool. looks big too. you could call is fishy (gills?)

Taking shape now. looks good. still like TJ07. but em both are cool so no worries :)
    :thumb:

5. Razer2007

6. geort45

geort45 What's a Dremel?

Ohh ok ok I understand, I just didn't see the connectors on the back haha :)

7. Kryss2k

Kryss2k What's a Dremel?

Okay I realised some of my measurements just wouldn't work so restarted and building the case around the components... this is how it currently looks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

@Razer2007- Looks sick! I love me some renders :thumb:. What are the overall dimensions? And do I count 4 res in there?:eyebrow:

@Trance- It does look like a cross between a TJ07 and a CM 690. Looks good though, that has to be one monster case!

I have a contest related question. I know it was said that we should design base on having a laser cutter and bender as the method of fabrication but would we be allowed to design components that could be made on a CNC mill?

9. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

CNC is a possiblity yes, what were you after being CNC'd?

10. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I thought i'd show my progress too, though my progress is still mostly on the conceptual level, i'm pretty -BLEEEEP- far off from rendering it, as you can see:

The main idea is to have one main box on top, with one (or more) expansion boxes below. If you want, you can build a complete system in the main box, without any expansion. One such expansion box can hold (for instance) 18 HDDs or 2 360 radiators. I'm still working on how to structure them exactly, but the main idea is clear i think.

[​IMG]

Nitrix, it turns out you were right about the PSU, i did have to flip it upside-down. Left in the orientation i originally drew it in, it would simply be impossible to reach all the nooks and crannys of the expension box, let alone the second box. I'll try to compensate by allowing for a smooth path for the PSU main power cable down the side to where the mobo backpanel is, so it can join the other external cables smoothly. This picture still shows the 'wrong' orientation by the way.

[​IMG]

I drew this basic shape up in a hurry, it might change around later.

11. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

There is a lot of comments here on other people's designs such as "That looks like the TJ07" that has me wondering. what aesthetically, do people like on a PC case?

I know there's fans of the smooth, solid monolith look (Antec P180/Fractal R2)
    Obviously, there's fans here of the unibody, curved shape of the TJ07
    Some prefer the cases consisting mostly of mesh/grill panels (CM690, Antec 1200)
    and the strange few that prefer the HAF series.

i know it's different styles for different people. some want their PC to blend in with the rest of their furniture/media center. others believe the motor car analogy of 'more grills/opening = looks faster' and others don't care for aesthetics so long as it does a job of holding the PC together without falling apart

So, in need of help with coming up with a good front panel for my case, i'm asking for a bit of help.

12. Razer2007

Yeah 2 at the back is built in, the other 2 optional, because there is a possibility of 3 rads, ant will ad another later. dunno of dimensions. will check.

13. casper410

casper410 What's a Dremel?

Sorry but i still dont think the effort, knowledge and experience, can be sold for a "an awsome PC".
    Its got nothing to do with greed. Do you realise how much money is being turned over in the Case Industry. You come up with a fab design, low cost, effective enough for most reviews to rave about it, and you could win a giant market.
    I got a great design, and i`m not giving it to you lot !

14. Razer2007

Then don't post here. we want to design a case.

15. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Do you have a possibility to make money off your "great design" ?

Are you going to sell licenses to LianLi or to Silverstone?

Don't fool yourself man... you won't make any money of your "great design" if you've got no design-studio backing you up, as no manufacturer will buy something you made.

If Phobya mentions the name of the lucky winner as the designer of the case, then that's allready the maximum you can ask for, if you're not a professional industrial designer like Colani, Pininfarina, etc...

16. Kryss2k

Kryss2k What's a Dremel?

Casper410

Some of us have the imagination but lack either the money, tools or ability to actually create the case we want - I've had a vision stuck in my head for months on an awesome case design but can't make it myself... thought entering this might help me gain a better insight (even if I don't rank anywhere in the competition).

And it's not just the physical prizes you get but also the bragging rights "I've designed a computer case for Phobya" etc.

P.S the design I have stuck in my head is not the design I'm entering... the idea behind the one in my head is completely different to what's required in this competition.

17. Razer2007

very true jrs77. I agree. In fact, I would love to make designs for manufacturers, at no charge!

18. Trance

And we would rather have it built than just sitting on our computer never to be seen.

On another note, literally as I was typing this, I realised that in its current state you can't remove harddrives with the system built from my case... looks like I'm gonna have to come up with some revolutionary hard drive cage after all :p

19. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Alright guys lets not get off track here. :)

Anyways, the reason I wanted to know if we could use a CNC mill is I would like to try and make a Neptunes Trident style water channel.

[​IMG]

Make an acrylic block with several channels and threaded holes in them that can either be plugged or have a fitting to remove a lot of the tubing necessary.

Just a thought, what do you guys think? (This is just a quick mock up to illustrate the idea, no plugs shown)

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 Nov 2010
  20. Trance

I was thinking of doing a similar thing to bring the tubing from the bottom compartment to the top.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.