1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 1 - Complete - see Stage 2 thread

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 1 Nov 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Thanks! I will see If I can squeeze some more fans at the back, bottom or top. The TJ07 was the inspiration for this case, since so many people love that case. I just wanted to take it a bit further. hehe. And yeah It' nice to DL all the hardware.

And man, your renders look good.

2. DeadMan

DeadMan Betterer

Love this design very well thought out to maximise the use of space, 2 things I dont like about the design and its taken me along time to think of any tbo..

1, Cable management is going to tricky with components in such close proximity

2, I dont like the position of the res/pumps perhaps something can be done?

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I don't there'd need to be more fans, as long as there's enough vent holes, then the positive pressure from that many intake fans will just get forced out of the case.

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

OK, guys. There's some great stuff here but you are missing an important point. You have a watercooling company breaking into the case market, and you are still designing with bolt-in parts in mind...

Let's see some integrated reservoir/pump combos!

5. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

:duh:

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'm still believing, that we should design a case with mass-production and lot's of different people going to buy it in mind.
    So it has to be a quiet simple design making it possible to cut, fold, bend etc for machines and it has to be a rather flexible layout, so that people have different options to integrate hardware.

Integrating water-cooling-components is not really going well with this point imho, as this would make the case uninteresting for everyone not going to watercool their components.

But that's just me, and I know that most people in the forums don't think about it this way, but are drooling over crazy designs and lot's of bling-bling. :worried:

7. Razer2007

I agree with you. I hate rivets and stuff. I want everything to be able to be my way.

8. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

I think you both make good points. Yes the case must be simple enough to produce for small production runs. But Cheaps has a point that we are designing for a water cooling company and that the case could feature a built in cooling system or pump/res combo. You could always remove the built in system and replace it with a bolt on one.

As for people drooling over crazy designs, yeah why wouldn't you!? I love seeing crazy designs and even though they may not be manufacture able. Its like a concept car you want to take those wild crazy ideas and turn them into a production ready vehicle. Yeah you may loose some of the more outlandish design elements but you can still keep the attention getting attributes. So far i think most of the cases submitted would be fairly easy to make with a laser and bender. (I do think the rules are a little vague on that so there may still be some confusion regarding this.)

Anyways, small update...

-Added removable Rad. compartment for easy cleaning and work.
    -Added center divider
    -Changed socket head cap screws to countersunk
    -BLACK!

(I didn't update the vent slots yet so don't yell at me! :D)

[​IMG]

9. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

now all you need is nightrider style leds round the front and your set!

lol

10. Razer2007

The removable res is a good idea. But I preferred the silver version.

11. ĿªЪяεġø™

ĿªЪяεġø™ Rabbit Modder !

Decided to make a couple of renders :rock:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost ready for Stage 2 (i wish) :thumb:

12. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

Just plain old sketchup. The pics are screencaps with shadows turned on. Nothing fancy.

I got the motherboard model from here. You should be aware that if you use it though the guy who modeled it got the dimensions backwards (length x width)... seems like he modeled it the right way most of the way through then resized it for some reason. It's easy enough to fix with sketchup's scale tool though.

Personally, I wanted to design my idea of an "uber" PC case... which means support for the largest components on the market. I realize few would likely ever use the capability, but it's nice to have the option, no? ;) Besides which, in my design moving down to a smaller MB means you have more room for drives, reservoirs, fans etc. I should also point out that it's smaller than some cases that don't support the SR-2, like the Raven RV01. It's pretty close in size to the RV02, actually, just a bit deeper.

Hm... well as it stands, my design is over 20% smaller than the ATCS 840 (70 litres vs. 89 litres), so :p

I mentioned I usually stick to SFF designs, so effective use of space is a habit. That's actually one of the main reasons I enjoy doing this - it's a challenge.

Bear in mind I'm showing it pretty maxed out - the SR-2 is a huge motherboard, and tends to make the case look small, and the eight slots worth of video cards don't help. A more modest component selection would free up quite a bit of space.

Res/pump placement is something I'm not entirely happy with either, and struggled with a bit. There's not a defined place for them, but there are lots of potential options. Not using all ten expansion slots free up the case floor. There's the second power supply location that few will likely use. Smaller mobo frees up some five inches right in the middle of the case. A bay res is always a possibility. An early thought I had was to integrate a small res into the end of the rad like the Swiftech MCR Drive series. So lots of options really, and what you see is pretty maxed out so expected to be a bit cramped. I'll keep thinking on it though.

Thanks for the comments.

13. Razer2007

@ĿªЪяεġø™: Kerythea? did you use the MLT render setting? if so, you should complete more runs to eliminate that noise on the inside. overall deign is good.

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Just some food for thoughts of integrated designs and what can be easily done, if you have access to the right materials and tools.

I designed a watercooling-case some 3 to 4 years back in time, where the idea was to have the outer shell made completely out of finned profiles, with waterchannels in the sidepanels routed into the profiles and sealed with another plate ontop working as passive radiators.

I call it: The Fridge :D

[​IMG]

15. ĿªЪяεġø™

ĿªЪяεġø™ Rabbit Modder !

Yes and yes :thumb: i know that MLT needs more time , but I don't have it :wallbash: I'll try it again tomorrow 'cause today I couldn't get anything more done :grr:

16. Razer2007

Yeah time is a bitch. I have used Kerkythea, but then found VRay. it is directly integrated to SU and renders faster, and better. it's only 30 day trial though. :( try it. much better than Kerky.

17. Razer2007

More renders. still working on the res' placements and tubing arrangement...

these came out well :D

[​IMG][​IMG]

18. aquatuning

Is it me or does this look like the gateway out of Tron?!

[​IMG]

Couple of well place light strips :D

19. aquatuning

Nice design but you do bring up a good point, I was waiting to see if anyone would include water channels in the case itself maybe for a minimalist tubing and wire setup.

20. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Yeah, and damn you solidworks people with your perfect rendering and awesome looking previews! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.