1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 1 - Complete - see Stage 2 thread

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 1 Nov 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ajhayter

Ajhayter What's a Dremel?

Are we allowed to submit more than one entry?

I have an idea that I'm already sketching up for tiny watercooled HTCP/Gaming rig, but I'd also be interested in submitting a more traditional tower design.

2. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

You can post both designs and get feedback on them, but on 28th Nov only one can be nominated I'm afraid!

3. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

I am doodling now! Got some ideas :D

4. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

My concept is based around a case with 3 separate chambers, the motherboard section, the radiator section, and the (for lack of a better term) other section. i'm not quite sure what size class this would technically fall under, but i can't really see it being no taller that a Antec 1200 (Before this contest, i was actually considering making this design anyway, basing it around the new Antec Lanboy Air, so maybe some design cues from that will emerge later), just a bit longer and a bit wider than normal. my basic paint drawing have not really taken into account clearances needed for cable routing, but this can be expanded on at a later date, this is just proof of concept and to get feedback

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Motherboard section:
    The motherboard section is a completely square section of the case (my paint drawing does not show this off as completly square, but it will be on the final design), and is built around a removable motherboard tray. the reason for this is for complete customization. you can either have the motherboard tray pointing in 4 different ways
    *a normal configuration, with CPU at the top and window panel on the left side of the case
    *a 90 degree rotated position, IO panel coming out the top of the case and window panel on the left side.
    *a flipped configuration, with CPU at the bottom and window panel on the right side of the case
    *and finally, a flipped 90 degree rotation, with the window panel on the right side of the case.

in my diagram, the roof panel, with 2x 120mm fans (could be bigger fans, unless they clash with motherboard) is the same length as the motherboard tray, and so, if the motherboard tray is rotated to the top of the case, it should fit on the rear panel.

the windowed and back panel of this section, being a square, should be able to fit in any of the configurations without difficulty. the window panel has 2x 120mm fan mounts and air slots, like the CM Storm Scout case. and this would be the primary air intake for this section.

contained in the section is the case's 4x 3.5" drive bays. these are attached to the dividing wall between the motherboard and radiator sections. they are in the middle of the wall, to allow a path for tubing both above and below the drive cage.

Radiator section:
    The radiator section will be a sealed box from the motherboard and other sections of the case, and will contain the 2x 240mm radiators (could be 360mm rads, if case is enlarged to fit). these are arranged in a wind tunnel, sucking in cold air from 1 side of the case, and expelling it through the radiators and out the other side (the user can configure the direction of airflow to how they think will work best, my recommendation would be whatever side has the windowed panel be classed as the intake side. this will avoid hot air being expelled from the radiators being sucked back inside by the window fans)

between the radiators will be a large enough gap to install a pump/res combo. a fill port will be located in the roof of the case that will connect to the top of the reservoir. and to see what you are doing. the front panel of the case will have a window running the full length of the reservoir to check your levels.

A set of lighted vandal proof switches provide the power and reset switches, along with the power and HDD activity LEDs. below these will be 2 exposed 5.14" drive bays. this can be used for optical drives, fan controllers or with a converter bracket, 3.5" external devices such as card readers.
    a possible upgrade to this current design would be the ability to remove the framework inside the case for those 2 drive locations, and install longer radiators. this may need to have optional replacement side panels with longer mesh sections to account for the longer radiator

Other section:
    The other section is where the PSU will be contained. this should also be able to accommodate much longer than standard length PSU's (like the Enermax and Corsair series) and will also hold another set of 2x 5 1/4" drive bays. these drives however can be mounted sideways on either the left or right side of the case. by removing a clipped on faceplate, the drive can be slid into place. the side panels for this section can be removed and thus cables can be plugged in. a simple tooless locking switch (once again, like on a coolermaster case) should hold the drive in without the need to get a screwdriver in there to tighten screws. that or thumbscrews, pretty simple enough to use with minimal fuss

External appearance:
    My simple paint drawing is basically boxes stuck together. this will change at a later date. mostly because sharp corners on a PC case is not a good idea if you do happen to headbutt one by accident (long story..) i know there are a lot of Antec P18x and Fractal Rx fans out there, and while black monolith looks good, it's not everyone's cup of tea. i think also it will need a few things added onto it. undecided with case feet vs case wheels. but i think it needs a good set of shoes to lift if off the table a good inch and/or a bit. also will incorporate a set of carry handles. i don't know about the rest of you fellow PC people. but i think a handle on a case is a godsend when you need to move it. especially one with a lot of WC gear inside, since that can get pretty heavy.

right now, the basic paint drawings above has the case with a black finish. personally, i wouldn't use black, everyone seems to use black nowadays. nowadays White seems to be the new black. i say nay to both of these colors. i'd rather have this in a bitchin' Purple color.
    depending on the material used, this could be done in a polished/brushed silver and look pretty nice.
    the case window could have a tint applied to it, to not only help blend it into the side panel, but make it look a little different too. combined with lighting (which i can detail in at a later date) it will have a nice effect.
    however, Blue lighting is definitely off the menu. EVERYONE seems to go with blue lighting for their PC nowadays. last time i checked, not every PC was from TRON. there's just no love of Red, green or even white lighting nowadays IMO.

5. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

Nice concept, waht about if both the rads could bring in cool air and you could extract it through another way or atleast have the option to do this?

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I just remembered how I hate with a passion modelling motherboard trays with I/O slots.

(note i am not a sketch-up user, never will be)

7. Demolisher

Demolisher Bear building modder

He guys (and girls)

after the heads up that i got, i went to work.
    This was the first time i used annything like sketchup or annything, so manny foults are included.

this is, again, just a firt sketch. all things have to be thought over and over again. BUT, i want to show you some progress, and get some feedback on the way :)

here we go :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

let me hear your thoughts.

OHW! before i forget. The dimensions of this thing are, as already been noted, enormus.
    front to back is 55 cm
    left to right 44
    hight: 68 cm

Last edited: 18 Nov 2010
  8. Demolisher

Demolisher Bear building modder

well, i thank you for calling me dumb, a fool and stupid. You are really bringing this topic to another level...

When you don't want to participate, don't. Simple as that.

We, and srry if I offend someone in one way or another, like to share these idea's. And maybe they even will be manufactured. Your name on it, your fame.

I personaly don't do it for money, or fame, BUT, just think of it... how cool would it be to see your case in the international stores?

Last edited: 18 Nov 2010
  9. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

understood demolisher. I agree with you.

but heres a new idea/concept I made

[​IMG]

10. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Well here Is another little update. I added a side window as well as the bent plate at the bottom that will serve as the case feet. I still can't come up with a top door that Im happy with but ill get there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. danitgeek

danitgeek Designer

I wondered what the biggest size you can make the midi tower?

WxHxD

and also are you limited to sepecfication they tell you or can you have like an extra

12. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

the most effective way to do this would be a blowhole in the roof of the radiator section, but not only would you lose the optimal position for the fillport, but also you'd be completely reliant on 1 fan to extract all that hot air. granted, hot air rises and the one fan may be enough to do this but without an actual prototype test, i can't say for certain.

the motherboard section and the radiator will be isolated from each other, bar 2 rubber grommets for tubing to pass through. my initial thoughts was to connect both radiators in series and thus warm air coming out of 1 radiator won't really affect it passing through the second radiator (i have a similar arrangement in my WC'ed Antec 1200. hot air from the internal 240 is exhausted inside my case. where the 200mm fan in the roof extracts it, on the way, sucking air through the 200mm radiator underneath it)

the only other alternative would be to install an air intake in the front of the case (spoiling the clean look, and losing the reservoir window) and have the radiator fans exhaust the air out the sides

13. aquatuning

Love the look of this, what about the palcement of optical drives will these be side mounted?

The base on this is very sleak cant wait to see the design for the fake roof now.

make it as big as you need it to be, remember we are trying to create something new.

how about if the res was free standing at the front of the case and you sperate the rads with mesh wall could be in the shape of a V with the res in the middle for example held inplace at the top and bottom?

14. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

something along the lines of this? (not to scale)
    [​IMG]
    I can see it working well, but i'm not to sold on how the front of the case will look now. unless a cool looking tube reservoir was used (like the old FrozenQ ones) or perhaps if a curved piece of mesh was used, removing the angular point/crease in the middle

15. aquatuning

Yeh good mockup lol, im sure you can play around with the looks :)

16. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 17 Dec 2010
  17. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

yes, side mounted at the top. facing the other side, but I didn't do that yet.

18. Tyetree

Tyetree What's a Dremel?

Here is the start of mine [​IMG]

I would like a super clean build no fuss no mess in the main conpartment there would only be the Mobo ect and the 2x tube reses
    bottom part would contain hdds and PSU pumps ect
    2 quad rads and thats the lot notning on the front of the case apart from a small slit for a led strip.

will post more when i have made it :p

19. aquatuning

Nice sketches, So is this one case where the user can move the PSU and the rads around to suit what they want?

Will the optical drive cage not hinder the airflow if the rad is placed vertically?

Looking nice and clean what about optical / hard dirve placement?

20. Tyetree

Tyetree What's a Dremel?

Hdds will go in a cage that i am still to render ad that fits in the slot at the bottom next to the fans I use external optical drive so i didnt make anything for that :p.

edit: cage added and allso a veiw from the top slits will be the vent for top of case
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Nov 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.