1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Piercings

Discussion in 'General' started by Alekin, 27 Nov 2004.

1. Alekin

Alekin Minimodder

I know there is a job lot of these threads already but i dont have the time to search for them..
    I want a piercing it will be the first, i wanted a wrist or nape surface done but now they are a lil diffucult. Im kinda on the idea of a forearm surface piercing. How long do these take to heal and are they easily rejected? Ive spoken to bodyworks in croydon and they advised against the wrist. and said nape is better. Please Penski can you give you opinion?

Thanks, Alex

Last edited: 27 Nov 2004
  2. dom_

dom_ --->

AVOID BODYWORKS!!!!!!!

they are the worst piercers i have eved had the misfortune of using

3. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I would suggest taking your time, before getting a piercing..
    And if this thread is aimed at penski's opinion, then why did you not PM or Email him... the forums are public and aren't meant for person to person talks...

L

4. Alekin

Alekin Minimodder

Thanks for the heads up dom, Sorry Lovah i had already been searchnig for about 15 mins and come up with nothing, im usless with useng the search. I was gonna use a pm but thought if used a thread i would get mixed opinions. Again sorry *Changes title

Alex

5. penski

penski BodMod

I'm rather busy at the moment so I'll answer when I get home :)

*n

6. penski

penski BodMod

They can be difficult to heal yes but then again they are also difficult to pierce correctly. You have to make sure that you go to an artist who can show you a portfolio of succesfully healed surface work - not fresh piercings.

They can take a long, long time to heal. The only surface piercing I ever bothered with was a Madison (front of neck) and I had to retire it after a couple of months - I was far too clumsy with it and it was refusing to heal in any manner. The important thing to remember with regards to rejection is that it is minimised by the surface piercing being done correctly. If a studio offers you a bar without measuring you up, walk away. Surface bars should always be bent and measured to fit on a per-instance basis - there is no 'standard' size for surface bars, they need to be custom made for each application.

I'd agree with them that nape would be easier to heal than wrist - a lot less movement and generally easier to place. I'd look for someone with a lot of experience with surface piercings first of all.

An important thing to consider is that this will be your first piercing - you will find it hard. I would advise that you get practice at healing a few other piercings first so that you get to know your body, how it reacts, how well it heals and so on before you go into something as hard to heal as a surface piercing is.

Links:

http://encyc.bmezine.com/?Surface_Piercing
    http://encyc.bmezine.com/?Surface_Bar
    http://encyc.bmezine.com/?Scalpel_Surface_Piercing
    http://encyc.bmezine.com/?Surface_Piercing_Rejection - most important to read
    http://www.bmezine.com/news/pubring/20041015.html - a good read. I only know one person in the UK doing this and it will certainly ****ing hurt ;) - PM me if you want her email address.

*n

7. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Sorry OT : But do these piercings actually hurt during the process I mean do u use anaesthetics or whatever the painkillers are called if no then you are pretty brave to have em :hehe: :thumb:

8. Alekin

Alekin Minimodder

:D Nope anesthetics arent used. I was looking at some scarification work too but read an account of the process... They look good but i dont think ill be having one.
    Cheers Penski for the reply, in the process of reading now :)

Alex

9. penski

penski BodMod

Pain is subective...What would make you roll on the floor in agony may be no more than a slight annoyance to me. Then again, I've conditioned myself to highten my pain threshold.

My personal preference is not to use anaesthetic as I prefer to experience things. My madison was done freehand and took about ten seconds...thats a very slow, very intense piercing...the needle passing through about an inch of flesh in ten seconds...

What kind of scarification were you looking at? They all have vastly differing types of pain. Cutting is a beautifully sharp, intense pain. Branding is an aching pain...

*n

10. Alekin

Alekin Minimodder

It was a scapel scarification, no pictures but it did sound extremly impressive, basically a flaming phoenix taking up most of the guys back. I read it on BME a few days ago. Pictures ive seen look bloody amasing.

Alex

11. penski

penski BodMod

12. Alekin

Alekin Minimodder

That punch and taper method was an interesting read. It certaily seems the most sucessfull. After reading the other pages, especially the one about rejection i must say im a little put off of the normal method.
    The pictures of the brandings i think arent that good but the scapel scarificarions are fantastic.
    I especially liked this one
    *Maybe not for the squeamish*
    http://www.bmezine.com/scar/A40915/high/iam00063592.jpg

Alex

13. penski

penski BodMod

14. KingofHearts

KingofHearts What's a Dremel?

wow I have seen scarification designs before often thin lines like tatoos but never seen anything like this before

http://www.bmezine.com/scar/A40915/high/dsc00241.jpg

that is wild. :jawdrop:

I admit I dont know much about this art but holy crap. whoever that was that cut that should have been like a surgeon ehe. even the first few raw days the depth of the cut and accuracy looks perfect to me.

15. penski

penski BodMod

It (and the 'do it' one above) were both done by an extremely talented frenchman called Lukas Zpira.

The man is a genius with a scalpel.

*n

16. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Those are going to sting in the morning. I imagine it is hard to keep those free of infection.

17. penski

penski BodMod

Infection is an issue...If you spend your days working around raw sewage.

If you are going to get such a modification then you would have a strict aftercare regime.

Read some of the scarification experiences for aftercare techniques - they're quite a good read.

*n

18. MrDT

MrDT fapfap

i'd always assumed that a surface piercing at the nape of the neck was done in much the same way as regular piercing just using a needle. i guess you learn something new everyday.

had been considering one for a little while, but now that i find it's not as simple as just popping down to one of the local studios and getting it done there and then i might reconsider.

so how come some areas of the body are more prone to rejection then? also, would a ring through the lower part of the scrotum be classed as a surface piercing? and does that type of piersing have a shortened name along the lines of the pa/rpa/ampline?

19. penski

penski BodMod

They are quite often done with a needle. The difficulty lies in the positioning of the jewelery and the jewelery used.

With surface work it is important to see well-healed examples by the artist in question and educate yourself about the technicalities and the risks involved.

Thickness of the skin, positioning of the jewelery, movement of the area, likelihood of the area experiencing trauma...loads of factors.

Not usually, unless it is pierced in a very strange manner...

A ring on the upper part of the scrotum, to the side, is known as a Hafada. On the other hand, if it is on the centre line, it could be known as a Frenum piercing (as it would sit on the frenum that runs down the middle).

*n

20. MrDT

MrDT fapfap