1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Playstation 4's System Update 3.5 allows you to play PS4 on your PC and Mac

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by JakeTucker, 5 Apr 2016.

1. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

Last edited: 5 Apr 2016
  2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

What possession of Blu-ray are you watching in peace?

How fast a connection would you need to be able to use this outside the home? I'm guessing that most twitch games would be useless as the lag would be too high...I don't see this as anything more than a gimmick - the only reason I use the Xbox Smartglass is so that I can see when updates have finished installing...

3. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

PS4 setup on TV, Mrs wants to watch TV, I'll play on the PC, thanks

Many uses for this and something I can see myself using is/when I get a console.

4. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I'm curious if this can be used to have one person play directly on the PS4 console on a child/sub account and the other person on the PC with the primary user to remove the need for split screen... something like that could be a huge benefit as sometimes the split screen make seeing things a little difficult in fast paced games.

5. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

I don't believe so unfortunately. It basically just mirrors the PS4 screen to whatever you're accessing it on.

6. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

That'd be a shame, though I guess if you could play a game without it purely being a mirrored output then it'd make the console itself semi-redundant as a device.
    If the update's live before I get home tomorrow I'll give it a test.

7. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

Dunno about this, but Steam streaming + VPN takes <8mbps at 720p@60Hz. Been playing Witcher 3 this way quite comfortably. Should work for majority of consoles games.

8. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

This is exactly it. My wife and I get about half an hours to ourselves after the kids go to bed when she wants to watch something god awful on TV and I'm relegated elsewhere. If this means I get half an hour on the PS4 I will be more than happy. Interested to see how Destiny will run.

9. Xir

Xir Modder

together or each? :D

Same here though, the evening becomes very short after the kids finally sleep.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

3rd. I'm actually very tempted by this. I've been looking at a PS4 as media player as well and this might tip the balance.

11. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I tried it out last night, set to 720p and refresh set to high..... felt like I was watching it on a potato!

Bit of a gimmick if I'm being honest, the chances of us wanting to watch something on telly when my lads are on the PS4 is pretty slim.

If they can increase the stream output to 1080p then it might be better, but I won't hold out for it.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Via internal network that should work fine, over the internet....mwaah, not in my country anway :D

13. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I had problems maintaining a steady connection over wifi, PS4 is approx 15ft away from router and it kept dropping. Had to use cat5e instead so it wouldn't drop out.

Just to add, I don't know whether the client routes internally by default. The amount of compression/lossy image quality and lack of high framerates compaired to what the PS4 was doing (Rocket League) seemed to suggest it was going over t'internet.

Last edited: 7 Apr 2016
  14. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

CONSOLE HERESY!

Infecting a superior gaming platform, the PC, with Console Trash!

NEVER!

15. trig

trig god's little mistake

and....no

Last edited: 10 Apr 2016
Tags: Add Tags