1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Portal 2 released early

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Apr 2011.

1. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

But what's wrong with that?

I for one would be happy to see indie developers get some publicity , and it's not like those games are expensive. Portal 2 is an extremely anticipated game, and this is no different to those people who queue outside Game for a midnight release of the latest COD, except that this ARG requires some intelligence.

2. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Those who are complaining about not getting to play it as they are at work, I am as well, but I didnt preload as I only bought it this morning, missing out of the £3 discount cos I was away.

But it means when I get home it will have downloaded and be ready to play, as no doubt the steam servers are going to be busy

Kimbie

3. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

I played for about an hour this morning and I'm not disappointed, so far it's the perfect evolution of Portal 1.

4. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

Likewise - I got a bit of playtime in before work this morning and am so far most definitely happy with what I've seen. Looking forward to carrying on this evening. \o/

5. Pieface

Pieface Modder

I'm looking forward to when the price drops on this game. I just don't see it as a £30 game :/

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

A lot of people seemed to also be having some good fun. Just look on these forums to see the excitement as everyone was watching the countdown and building up potatoes.

Didn't get involved myself, though. Would rather just spend time playing games I wanted to be playing and passing the time faster.

7. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

My initial reaction of annoyance (surely the few potatoes I have should get me at least one game!) quickly faded as I realised that there aren't any games in that pack which I wanted anyway.

The only problem is that Portal 2 seems a bit over-hyped now, and I don't know if I will enjoy it so much... only one way to find out ;)

8. AFX

AFX "Bling" Silver Mountain 2

Where the sh*t is E3!

9. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Below E2 above E4 and between D3 and F3. Its ok my sub is in J5.

I assume your talking about the show E3 and google reveals its 7-9 June

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Should've got it when it was available for £24 then :p

As someone who's completed the game, I would be quite happy if I'd paid £30 for it. I really don't understand people complaining about it being a full priced game while comparing it to Portal 1 - it's at least 3 times as long, far more detailed and polished, and much funnier with an unparalleled script and voice acting. And that's just the single player, I haven't even started on the co-op yet which promises the same again with the added dimension of another player.

Portal 1 was an experiment (pun intended) - this game is the full realisation of that experiment.

11. alf-

alf- Minimodder

agree, portal itself was essentially a bonus game included in the orange box, and considering it contained 5 awesome games for little over 20 quid, i don't see me paying 30 quid for its sequel, its not going to be better than all of games in the orange box combined.

so yeah it looks good, actually it looks very good, but im happy enough waiting for it to fall in price, and as its a valve game it will likely fall quite quickly.

on a side note reviews on sites like meta-critic are really mixed, the critics are in universal praise, whilst users seem split down the middle, some hating it because of short length, DLC and the potato sack promotion, whilst others are saying its the best game ever.

i'll definitely be waiting for the price too fall

12. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

I can't wait until BestBuy puts this in the Buy 2 for $10 bin! :rock:

13. Faunus

Faunus What's a Dremel?

So just to clarify, you'd be happy to pay £30 for a game that you completed in less than a day?

o_O

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

so would I. It's just that good. There are several activities in life that that are more expensive than that and much less fun

15. Matticus

Matticus ...

I really don't understand this attitude. You didn't have to buy the Indie pack, you didn't lose anything by not buying it. It whipped up a bit of excitement and interest for those directly involved, and those who just watched it all unfold did so without having to spend an extra penny. So in my eyes, absolutely no one lost out.

The game is great, and the release time made no difference to me as I didn't get to start playing it until 9pm anyway. But I still enjoyed all the pre-release craziness and I wish more games would release like this.

16. Toploaded

I got the game for free but would not have been disappointed with paying £30 for it, it's much better then the original Portal. Not touched on the co-op yet but even before that it's a very nice and solid game. Pretty cool that it looks great with the settings cranked up but also runs pretty well on my 2007 MacBook pro under MacOS (I never use MacOS, but I figured I would because I could).

Still, I'm sure those of you that are in no rush will pick it up at a very reasonable price come the summer and next to nothing during the Xmas holidays.

I'd be interested to see how Steam on the PS3 is working out and the whole cross platform co-op is going.

17. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I completed the game in 7.2 hours. While it is an awesome game and I enjoyed every minute of it, I can't help but think that at £27 or whatever it was a little overpriced. I also thought it felt a little bit unpolished (little details I can't quite put my finger on) but then maybe I'm looking back on Portal 1 with rose-tinted glasses - and that was free, too, which obviously made it feel more special.

Saying all that, I haven't touched the co-op yet, and I reckon there could be bucket loads of fun there if you play with the right people.

18. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Well, I've not finished the game yet, although I've given the co-op a fair bash. It's mind-bendingly hard sometimes. The difficulty curve feels slightly wonky sometimes.

Secondly, I got all 36 potatoes, and then in the last 6 hours of the ARG, proceeded to get them for my girlfriend, since I'm a completionist (and I owed her money for the second part of a Portal 2 two-pack). We both got gift copies of every game we owned, meaning we have 2 gift copies of Portal 2, Half-Life 2, and she has 3 gift copies of Portal (2 from pre-order, 1 from potatoes). Which is funny.

Thirdly:

Double the price and strip away 2 hours of single-player gameplay, as well as any initiative, advancement in the series, or genuine fun... And you've got Modern Warfare 2. Go ask the Xbox crowd if £27 is overpriced. Heck, ask the vast majority of the PC crowd if £27 is overpriced. ;-)

I always rate games by the "cinema experience". I'll pay £7 to go see a ~2-hour film (and that's not counting drinks, snacks, transport, etc). If a game works out similar or less (and it's more often than not less), I'm happy with that. If I walked to the cinema and bought nothing else, Portal 2 could about line up with that, based on 7ish hours gameplay. However, I've already racked up 8, and that's without finishing the story - co-op is, indeed, for the win.

19. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Minimodder

@Tweak

I completed the game in 7.2 hours.....I can't help but think that at £27 or whatever it was a little overpriced.....I haven't touched the co-op yet......

So you've completed the game without actually finishing it?

20. Toploaded

And I have a feeling there is going to be free additional content too (at least, for the PS3 and PC versions). Not to mention the fan made levels.

Quality not quantity after all, and my 5 hours have so far been an awesome experience. I work as a game dev so I suppose I'm more aware of the man hours and care that went into this title, but even so saying this game is overpriced at launch is clearly incorrect, and knowing Valve it will only be a matter of months before you can pick it up cheaper anyway.

Tags: Add Tags