1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Potentially dead graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nedsbeds, 5 May 2014.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Bake and pray... worth a go. You would be the board hero for a week if you pull it off

2. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I'd be surprised if you had any success with the Sale of Goods Act or s75 to be honest. If it had been more expensive or you'd only had it a year or two then it might be a good route to go down but all you're likely to do now is waste your own time writing letters. Personally I'd just bake the card, see if you can get a few more weeks/months out of it, and then look at getting a cheap replacement.

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Never understood the resistance against using your rights given by law! Takes no longer than 5 minutes to write an e-mail using the template letter in my signature thread. I'll leave an example of success just here to inspire some SOGA action...

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2897730&postcount=63

4. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

While it may only take a few minutes to write the initial letter using a template it's not going to be as simple or quick to write responses when the seller refused the claim and you have to start providing a sound rationale for why the SoGA applies. And it still leaves you needing to get hold of a new graphics card in the meantime so you can still use your computer, which usually means buying one.

So you can either accept that you got a fair amount of use out of a £135 graphics card, try and get it working a bit longer by baking, and then buy a new graphics card. Or you can spend time writing letters and fighting to maybe get a small amount of money back, and have to buy a new graphics card anyway.

Using your rights under law is something everyone should do but its not always the appropriate or best route. Just because something fails within 6 years of purchase doesn't mean you should automatically be entitled to a refund or replacement, or that it's worth taking the time to try and get one.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Agree with the point you're making about consuming time.

I advise not to get emotionally involved or aggravated by the process of making this sort of claim. Just spend the minimal time and expense seeking reparations for faulty goods and then forget about it and see how it plays out. The cross that I have to bear is that PC components are not cheap. In this case £45 is around about what somebody could earn in a day on the minimum wage. The possibility of that £45 for under an hours work Vs flipping burgers for 8 hours is worth gamble. Not suggesting that Nedsbeds flips burgers or would consider the task menial! :thumb: