1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project 7" LCD Video Projector (+ some of home theater)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by nick[x1], 17 Jan 2005.

1. nick[x1]

nick[x1] What's a Dremel?

hehe

the lcd + ohp projectors are not that good because the edges are not a very sharp picture and quite a bit of light is lost

2. Yaik

Yaik What's a Dremel?

very kweeuuull :thumb:

3. nick[x1]

front with a 92mm fan fitted :)

[​IMG]

from the back you can see the 92mm fan fitted on with the ballast next to it which is mounted sideways
    it all fits sorta nice :)

[​IMG]

Opened up the lilliput psu
    which gives out 12v 1200ma
    [​IMG]

Mounted the pcb onto the base of the projector using a cut up old drive bay and it works perfect :)

[​IMG]

and after 25-30 mins the temp at the rear fresnel havers around 39-41

[​IMG]

thats it for now

4. Joungne

Joungne What's a Dremel?

Hey nick,

very nice project.
    I really want to see some pictures when the whole thing is finished from the projection. I think your reflector is placed ok, there should be a gab of about 1 mm between the edges of the reflector and the lamp.

Just a quick note : be carefull with the heat on your LCD, they can go dead at about 50 degrees, so keep an eye on that thermometer :)

greetz,
    Joungne

5. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

Looks good, no.
    Looks, wonderful, no.
    Looks GREAT :clap:

6. nick[x1]

Well after bordom strikes i do silly things lol like this

getting a plastic cd wallet and drawing on it and putting it in place of the lcd :p

[​IMG]

lol

and it turns out that a 92mm fan at the front is not enouth so i changed it to a 120mm which dosent look to good and the wood strength isnent to good now

[​IMG]

On the top i mounted a 92mm fan out which dosent actually push much air but it is better than none i think lol

[​IMG]

Might have another update today, just waiting on lcd still really

7. nick[x1]

And with the 120mm fan and 92mm fan pusing air out the temp inside never really goes above room temp + 8oc :)

which is great :rock:

still noisy but i am using cheapo fans :jawdrop:

8. Protius-X

Protius-X What's a Dremel?

Wow this is an awesome mod. I hope this is only a prototype and you're gonna make a really nice looking shell for it. :D

9. nick[x1]

well for now it will have the horrible cheap box for it lol until i have saved up more money

mk2 will have a aluminium/plastic shell and will have no manual adjusting bits :p

10. Protius-X

Protius-X What's a Dremel?

Ah good. Make sure you do an excellent job of the new box when you start though.

11. nick[x1]

It will be amazing :p i dont intend it to be off in any way as soon as this projector is done i will start building the rest but only put the optics in until its finished

12. lux44

lux44 What's a Dremel?

13. nick[x1]

14. bobbo

bobbo What's a Dremel?

Hope you will post some reports on the image quality when you are done.

15. kongen

kongen What's a Dremel?

I dunno if you posted this somewhere or what, and I should read the whole thing which I will but quick question. Is this beast loud? I considered doing one at one point, but I was afraid that it might be loud enough to require me to have some massive speaker output going. I like my neighbors and I like my apartment I dont want to make an unexpected leave in the middle of the night.

Bottom line is it loud? :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

16. nick[x1]

Mine is quiet loud but i can lower the voltage of the fans to about 7-8v before they become useless

two points to make, i am using cheap fans which are loud anyway so if you get expencive ones it will be quiet, and i am using a 400w bulb so it requires almost double the amount of cooling

if you go the 250w route you can have 2 12v fans running half speed and it will keep the air stone cold almost and be pretty much silent :)

hope this helps

(i hope to get some decent fans in the future when its all finished so it will be better :rock: )

17. Isuo

Isuo What's a Dremel?

As I'm looking the prices of the DIY projectors and a shop projectors I see that the DIY projectors are much cheaper, but still too much for me. Anyone know where I could get some poorman parts for these?

Anyways, I'd love if you'd post some pics of the quality when you are done with the project.

18. nick[x1]

Well i still havent finished this project, but i have made a new case, which is better but its not great :p, i am not that good with wood work and when you have a jig saw which is stuck on max it makes life hard.

I will post some new pictures of the case, I have had it running with a working lcd but somehow overnight the lcd fcc cable stopped working so i have to get a new one. :(

19. nick[x1]

Great frame constructed :p

[​IMG]

Covered in blackout cloth which cost £9 :O cd should give you an idea of how big it is

[​IMG]

Added some wilko duck tape to the edge to make it stand out and well its not great but its better than before (haha just noticed the guy on tv)

[​IMG]

Thats it for the screen

20. nick[x1]

My first layout of the projector was badly designed as it had very poor cooling and with a 400w bulb it overheated.
    So i went for the upright style (hillbillys design from diyaudio)

And its great, alot bigger though.

First of all the rear panel

[​IMG]

New light box with has no bending involved so it is pretty much square and the distances are better this time (my cutting hasent improved though)

[​IMG]

Rear panel in which the mirror will be mounted to

[​IMG]

And from the back

[​IMG]

Will get some more pictures later after 24 :p