1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Actually I meant to ask about that.... did you just drill a hole near the size of the bulkheads and then use the bulkhead itself to tap the threads? I picked up some P&C black myself for FrozenFire, but for a slightly different purpose *cough* Hopefully Dan will get/ship my order soon and I can divulge my secret.

2. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

You are giving me more credit than I am do Sho, but thanks just the same..Black H20 tube kicks A**. Why be a sheep, break the color barrier!!
    The cut- MB-side mod is perhaps the best mod I came up with on this project (Patent Pend)..With a small case like the V1000, wiring is a problem. That dremel mod makes lots of room. I am glad you like it. Your using it is the highest praise you can give me. (better than a 5-star rating).
    ShoNuff/Firehed:
    The acrylic washer deal is not that hard.
    -Cut an over-sized acrylic piece (center-hole to fit inside the bolt hole).
    -Sandwich the acrylic between two metal nuts, dremel the acrylic to conform to the size/shape of the nuts. Then sand/polish your acrylic piece's edges to remove any scratches. Then drink a beer and smoke a cigarette.. FINISHED.

3. Razor_cut

Razor_cut What's a Dremel?

Im impressd! First of when you showed the black tubing, I thought badly shosen stuff, but afterwards it looks exelent! :dremel:

4. dgkulzer

dgkulzer What's a Dremel?

I am very impressed with this build so far :clap: I first found this thread when I was doing a search for aqua computers stuff and have been lurking ever since. Now all I need is for Dan to send me my stuff and I can get started on mine.

btw, the acrylic washers were nuts :D

5. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

Nice wiring job, personally its one of my favourite parts in a built (I have tiny fingers so :hehe:) and I enjoy a challenge!

6. modsquad

Wiring Part III

With the molex leads routed into the side of the case, it was a matter of plugging stuff in. But that is not as EZ as it sounds.
    The connections for the two hard drives;the two molex plugs for the video card and the DVD drive are all in a 3"x3" area of the case. I bet I spend an hour just "plugging stuff in". The Aqua-Computer 120mm grill also complicated things.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That is majority of wiring needed. The rest is the small gauge stuff ( power switch, temp probes ect.) as well as the SATA cables for the hard drives. I am looking for short (less than 6") ones without much luck. :waah:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Sep 2008
  7. Cowinacape

Cowinacape What's a Dremel?

Nice clean look there, I really like the black hoses with the crome fittings very very sharp looking! :rock:

8. Razor_cut

Razor_cut What's a Dremel?

Just a quick one, is it the black reservior (aguatube)? Or is it blue?

Cheers!

9. modsquad

10. squeck

squeck Lurker

very stealthy wires :cooldude: looking fantastic!

11. Firehed

Looking great! I'm thinking perhaps if you have any spare red acrylic left over you could stick some over the wiring in that area (not that it's obtrusive as it is) to hide it even more.

12. unrealhippie

what you using to shrink heatshrink? hairdryer or you got the heatshrink gun? I tried soldering iron and thats horrible.

13. modsquad

[​IMG]
    My newest toy.
    As for the ColdHeat soldering iron, it works but is less than great (IMO) and it eats batteries. I like my little 25watt Weller better.

14. Firehed

they're technically ment for stripping paint so referring to it as a heatshrink gun is just plain wrong, but that being said it works for heatshrink very well :thumb: Yeah, a soldering iron is NOT a good idea for heatshrink... at least not in a case mod. If you don't melt it and ruin your iron you'll at least get black spots which is natrually most ungood for case mods using colored shrink.

15. modsquad

I was referring to the ColdHeat's soldering abilities. I never even thought of using it on heatshrink.

16. unrealhippie

I tried it on the 400w generic, and its hard to position the iron so that the tip isnt near anything, basically I ended up with tight heatshrink but the sleeving was burn and nearly wasnt attached anymore...

Personally if you have the patience then a hairdryer does the job well!

17. Firehed

It doesn't work on anything nonmetal, it relies on the conductivity of the thing being soldered. He meant a normal soldering iron to do heatshrink, which just tends to give poor results.

18. Bilbo Fraggins

Bilbo Fraggins What's a Dremel?

Looks great and all :D
    ... but if you dont mind me saying.. by the time you get this done it will be out of date hehe.

19. modsquad

It is taking a long time, but I am getting close.
    [​IMG]
    Wired up the new Bulgin Vandal switch.
    [​IMG]
    and sleeved/shrinked it. I should have all I need to 'fire-up" this thing!! Perhaps tomorrow.
    My "out of date" gear:
    AMD Athlon 64 FX-55
    BFG GeForce 6800 Ultra
    160GB Raid 0 (striped disk array)

PS:
    As I needed more red acrylic from Firehed's buddy, I purchased a few of these as well
    http://www.cuttingedgecasemods.com/lighting/sunbeam/lazerbeam.htm
    If they work as advertised, I could drop the CCFL altogether. We will see.

20. LordFeaR

LordFeaR What's a Dremel?

The mobo is well out of date as well... Pity the new DFI NForce4 mobo has that funky green **** all over it, otherwise it would definately belong in there :p The FX-55 isn't quite out of date, it will be in the next few months tho :p