1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project :blingGreen(04/03/2005 - MaximumPC's June issue! Rig of the Month!!!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tech-Daddy, 21 Apr 2004.

1. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Wow, thanks for ruining the moment. :duh:

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Er, OK people. Can we get back to modding now? I was really enjoying the enthousiasm in Tech-Daddy's project log. Mod it to the max, dude! :rock:

3. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Sorry I was gone so long... this last week @ work has been horrible! Last 72 hours I've slept roughly 15 hours. Keep getting woke up @ 3am to support our London office... ugh. That is tough.

I'm catching up on my sleep, and plan on storming into this full steam this weekend, starting tonight.

I ordered the parts for the other PC that will need my current temp home, so the clock is now ticking for me to get my permanent home finished!
    (where is that burning rubber smiley? ;) )

More later tonight or tomorrow. Depends on how much I get completed (Under a Tornado watch right now, so weather defines how much I can open my garage! :wallbash: ...

Thanks Nexxo, I'll get my energy flowing again!

:dremel: :dremel: :dremel: :dremel:

Last edited: 30 Apr 2004
  4. Tech-Daddy

Ok, just spent the last hour planning out the case cable colors and the internal lighting.

Just dumped $120 into Jab Tech and with those prices... that is saying something! :hehe:

I'll purchased more than I needed, so that I could pick and chose some fan options and lighting options on this one. I also took the liberty of purchasing some of those fan dampeners and PSU dampeners to try and isolate the fan noise. I'm hoping they work... I'll let you know!

Went to the local hardware stores tonight and picked up a big bit for my drill, so that I can tap holes in the case where I will cut with the Jigsaw. Needed a bit big enough to let the jig blade slip through. I also picked up another heat gun. Blew my first one out in 30 minutes (you get what you pay for... that is all I can say on that one. :wallbash: )

Now I have one with a good warranty. I also got some spackle for the wall in the study (completely unrelated to the mod, but just thought you would want to know that too... ermmm... *ahem*)

Moving right along!

Anyone know of a good, ready made multi LED controller that is a throbber effect? even if it is a cycle effects, that I can cycle through, I'd like any options you all know of. I do not have a soldering iron, so I cannot make my own. Looking for a ready made kit. If anyone is interested in building one for a nominal fee, I'd be willing to pay for a controller to be built. Just let me know either way. I'll explain the effect that I am looking for, if interested. Email me here.

Well, I'll start tapping holes and using the ol jigsaw and dremmel :dremel: tomorrow. I have a company picnic to hit prior to any mod work that I might want to do :duh: :wallbash: , so updates will be later tomorrow.

Adios, and have a great night.

5. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

Man this is some great weather for a picnic we are having. Cold and wet (i say cold....its ~50f).

JEEVES

6. Hephaistus

Hephaistus What's a Dremel?

how much degrees is that???

here it's 18° degrees and i call it almost hot outside..... :D

7. Sheik

Sheik What's a Dremel?

8. Tech-Daddy

55f = 12.7 c
    18c = 64.4 f

For comparison, our summers here in Plano, Texas (Jeeves what part are you in here in the Lone Star State?) are usually averaging 90 f - 103 f (32.2 c - 39.4 c).

It gets nasty/oppressive hot here. I love the cold weather, and I have no clue why I have stayed in Texas as long as I have... except for the decent business climate, no state income tax, low cost of living, low cost housing, central location nationally... I have no reason to stay here! ;)

I do despise the heat, and the polution in Dallas. :sigh: :sigh:

Having cool weather this late in spring is Divine Intervention in my book! :thumb:

Just got back from the company gathering. It was nice. They had moved most of it indoors, my kids got to play lots of games and play in the inflateable bounce house. Lots of good BBQ. Yumm...

I'm sleepy now! But that will not keep me from my mods!
    Hello RedBull!!!!

More later!

9. Tech-Daddy

Yep, that is pretty darn close!
    Any idea of the manufacturer of the case?

10. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

I live like 10 min north of dfw airport. So yeah your weather is my weather :D. I too love the cold, coming from rhode island and all. Altho I think that this cold front has made me sick.....i am starting to get a cough (god i hate the weather changes here in texas). anywho you get anything else done today? I seemed to not do anything with my case today:rolleyes:. Had to build a pc for a client, and then didnt want to do anything all day long.

JEEVES

11. Tech-Daddy

I believe the saying is, "Don't like the weather? Stick around a few minutes... it'll change!" - and that about sums up Texas Weather, folks! You honestly never truly know what you are going to get!

As for the update, I did manage to get some cutting done. Not nearly as much as I wanted, but it is progress none the less! I'm uploading the pics now. Have an update in a few minutes.

:dremel: :dremel: :dremel:

12. Tech-Daddy

Ok, figured I'd better see if this flame thing is gonna work, and if I Have the patience to cut it! So I started working on the window panel tonight.

Wow!
    Steel cases wear out disks!!!! I am using a combination of skill saw and dremmel cuts. My arms hurt! ;)

Need a shower... but FIRST... (drum roll) updates!

This is me tapping a few holes in front of the flame work to allow for the jig saw to manuver and start cutting.
    [​IMG]

Here is the case, early on in my jig sawing. Mind you, this is the first jig work I had done, and was trying to learn and plan my cuts at the same time. Kinda like learning to drive while reading the book...
    Well, you are going to make a few mistakes!
    [​IMG]

Lots of filing and cleanup to do, but the cuts are coming along nicely...
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, and one other thing. I had sent a note to Bondo Customer Support asking to see if they had any tutorials/FAQ's that I could read. (I think that is what I said...)

NE Way, look at what came in the mail today! Nice people over there!
    [​IMG]

I'll try to finish up the rough window tomorrow, and start prepping the case frame for painting.

More tomorrow!
    :dremel: :dremel:

13. Xeno

Xeno What's a Dremel?

Nice flames :) I like 'm. And :thumb: for the bondo! :hehe:

~Xeno~

14. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

lol with as much bondo as i have used on my case, i should try and get them to sponsor me :hehe: . Hey what does that video say about the hardner ratio. I have been told that i am using too much hardner, but when i look at others it looks like I am using too little. I was just wondering what bondo them selves had to say about this. Oh and about the weather, that little cold front made me sick(i hate texas weather).

JEEVES

15. Tech-Daddy

I have not watched the video yet, but I'll let you know once I watch it!

Sorry to hear the cold front messed you up, been there too many times myself. I got lucky on this one.

You have allergies too?
    I have them like a train in the Spring time!

16. Tech-Daddy

Started painting the frame!!!!

K folks....

I beg forgiveness on the non activity... ESPECIALLY in light of the fact that we just had 3 outstandingly beautiful days in a row, and 2 of those 3 got me hauled into work... :waah: (I had already asked off for Monday, so that was the 3rd day if you were keeping track of my rambling...)

Oh well, here is what I Was able to muster in the form of progress on this @ the 99'th hour!

[​IMG]

Rough it up a bit with some sand paper and my dremel flap wheel, and get ready to lay down the metal cast base coat to give that nice and even color!

[​IMG]
    A nice, constant colored base with little shiny pieces mixed in! Gives off a kind of Testors model paint "Silver" look... :thumb:

[​IMG]
    Letting it dry now after 2 cans of Duplicolor MetalCast Green. Nice, shiny, and even!

[​IMG]

A little bit of front detail (even though it will be covered up by the bezel) shows the reflectivity of the paint.

Ya know... I have to wonder, since this paint is effectively a translucent paint, how would metal cast work on plexi/Lexan painting?!?! Someone willing to give this a shot with some spare plastic? I dont have any laying around. If I have not heard any experiments, I'll try it on this log later on when I start looking at the window treatments. :naughty:

More in a bit! Headed out to see how it is drying!

17. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

you should just run up to home depote, they will sell you scrap for dirt cheap. Or if you want i have plenty of extra plexi (you cant have my lexan :grr: tho) laying around i would be happy to give you.

And that color is great, I am happy to see someone else doing a green themed case(my case now has a green/blacklight blue theme), blue is realy being overdone now a days.

JEEVES

18. Tech-Daddy

I'm surounded by HD's and Lowes, I'll follow up! Thanks for the tip!

Thanks, I'm kind of keen on it too!

Ok, just so we don't get in to the whole "where did you get that idea from" , I'm planning on a similar cabling UV'ness in my case too!! :thumb:

UV Blue IDE cables
    UV Blue Power Supply cable sleeving with UV green Molex replacements

We cool on this? ;) (totally kidding!)

Question for you, where do you get your Lexan from?

19. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

No prob

Its kool i didnt do uv case sleeving :p , mine are just the normal black sleeving.I do realy love the blue/green combo, on the case i have now i went with all the lights on the outside blue and everything inside green. so my uv lights are realy just lighting up the window so it has a uv blue to green fade looks realy good, well hell here is a pic of it.

[​IMG]

I got my lexan from hd, For prety cheap too it is just alittle bit more money than the crapy plexi (you know that thin blue kind that always cracks). i got a decent size sheet for 5 bucks.

JEEVES

20. emwee

emwee What's a Dremel?

:rock: great paintjob :rock:

looks really cool - keep it up :clap: