1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project :blingGreen(04/03/2005 - MaximumPC's June issue! Rig of the Month!!!)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Tech-Daddy, 21 Apr 2004.

1. SMOVE

SMOVE What's a Dremel?

I like this colour, it's so green :clap: :hehe:

And you also made some very nice flames, so keep it up :D

2. dastt

dastt What's a Dremel?

my bro has that same paint on his case and it looks awsome, he didnt even wet sand it or clear coat it and it is still pretty shiney

3. Hephaistus

Hephaistus What's a Dremel?

Nice color choice you have there

4. Xeno

Xeno What's a Dremel?

Agreed! I like it :hehe::thumb:.

~Xeno~

5. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys!

I waded into the side window some more last night, and have the flames @ about 75% completion of cutting. I have not filed them out yet, but will have pics up tonight on the flame progress.

On another note, I was in Home Depot yesterday, and noticed that Dremel is now bulk packing the reinforced cutoff wheels! 20 wheel pack! YAY!!!!!!

6. ReikoX

ReikoX What's a Dremel?

Did you use an adhesion promoter for the metalcast?

I think in your post you mentioned that you used the base coat. I used the same color in my computer and didn't use anything but the metalcast paint. It scratched and chipped very badly. I am not too worried about it since it is inside of the case, but I wish I would have spent the extra $5 on the adhesion promoter. It seems like you and I have similar tastes. I've done the 'bling-green' and I'm working on flames right now. Funny thing is I even called the color 'bling-green' like you do. Like I said, similar tastes.

And I think everyone uses motorcycle gas tanks for the flames ideas. Bikers seem to be the best flame paintjobs. :hip:

ReikoX

7. Tech-Daddy

"bling-Green"... hehehe, funny how great minds work alike!

I had used the straight MetalCast Blue on my previous project, BluV, and found the same problem that you experienced. I'll let everyone know how durable (or not) the MetalCast is with the basecoat. See if it acts like good primer and sticks the paint to the case. <fingers crossed>

And "agreed" on the "best flame painters being cycle guys" comment. At least, in my meager online browsing... some of the best work that I have found is from different cycle paint shops.

Oh well, more later! Thanks for all the compliments! :thumb:

8. Tech-Daddy

Side window flames and *drum roll*... PARTS!!!!!

Hehehehe, joyful day! Felt kinda like the dog when he gets one of those "super special" dog bones! ;)

My parts order came in today! :clap: :clap: :clap:

But first... to the progress on the flame side window, I've roughed the flames, and I still need to take the straight edges of the window with the Jig Saw, to complete the window, but here are the flames thus far (and in need of some good detail filing I might add!!!!)
    [​IMG]

SSSSSSSSSMOKIN!!!!! :D

Now, on to that parts order, yum!
    [​IMG]

The order, all laid out! Parts to notice are the ATX Power Molex tool on the right side, as well as the plunger plug tool for male molex connectors! The UV Blue cable sleeving, and the UV green Molex replacements... this is going to be fun!
    [​IMG]

An assortment of fans, and the silent PC add ons to insulate the fans and the power supply, and a UV LED cannon!
    [​IMG]

Whee! Now is where the fun REALLY STARTS!!! :naughty: Cant wait to start putting this together!

I feel like that bladder control commercial... ya know?
    "Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now! Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go!"

Hehehe, the other parts for my friends PC should be arriving tomorrow, so I have to really push it. :wallbash:

Off to bed, more updates tomorrow after I pop out those straight lines, and maybe get started cutting the top window flames! :dremel:

9. emwee

emwee What's a Dremel?

hehe good work luck with your work then :D

looking great so far :thumb:

10. Xeno

Xeno What's a Dremel?

That's some nice stuff you got there dude! :thumb:. You'll aways mannage to use it in a good way, because it just kicks ass! :rock:

~Xeno~

11. Tech-Daddy

Side window cuts completed...

Small update. I'm very excited about this part of it, and can't wait to hit it with the high fill primer to smooth out all of the knicks on top.

I need to pull the tape off the back of the window (that is the ragged edging that you might see).

Once primed and ready, I'll post up some better pics! Now I'm off to start working on the top window!

[​IMG]

Hehehehe, this is getting more and more fun, the closer I get to build time! :thumb:

12. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Looking good... but are your cuts straighnt on the sides?

Interesting Project... Keep It up! :rock:

13. Tech-Daddy

Good question!
    I had traced the cut lines onto the case using a level, to try and get the sides as straight as possible.
    Entirely possible that I slipped the level on the side. Are you talking about the side opposite the flames? I think I see what yo uare talking about. I'll measure and find out!

Thanks for looking, good eyes! :thumb:
    Mine are a bit fuzzy lately. :sigh:

UPDATE: I measured the corners on the left, and your are correct. My top width is 5mm different than the bottom. I'llget that evened out!
    Thanks again!

Last edited: 8 May 2004
  14. atv_freak

atv_freak What's a Dremel?

How sturdy are those flames? I mean they look like they could bend/break really easily.

Looks great by the way! :thumb:

15. Tech-Daddy

The steel on this case is of good quality (a testiment to the number of wheels I have simply worn down doing all of my cuts). :dremel: :waah:

As for the flames stability, they are surprisingly sturdy! They will be more so after they are backed up with plexi/lexan and glued to it's surface.

They have a little spring to them, but I have no fear of them just breakng off, due to the thickness and durability of the steel used.
    :thumb:

Last edited: 8 May 2004
  16. Tech-Daddy

The base coat makes the color MUCH more durable! On this fram, finger scratches are quite difficult. Hightly recommend that any MetalCast you plan to do, work the MetalCast base coat into the mix, and make sure the metal is scuffed b4 the basecoat!. :thumb: :thumb:

(edit: 07/06/2004 - There is a clear adhesion promoter that can be used in between the base coat and the color coat for even more durability. It is mentioned on the Color can, I dont think it is mentioned on the base coat can.)

Last edited: 7 Jul 2004
  17. ReikoX

ReikoX What's a Dremel?

Sweet, I'll have to go out and get some for my next one. I think Beast is going to get metalcast blue on the skeleton. Once I get to it. And good work on the flame cutouts. I've debated cutting mine out, but don't want any windows on my case.

18. Tech-Daddy

Ok... I'm hitting the shower!
    Hehehee, I am covered in little bits of metal and fiberglass reinforced wheels!

This steel is something else! It ate 5 wheels tonight! 5!!!??!?! Not broken, flanged or splintered, just ate them down to nothing!!! I'm not pushing, I'm not speeding... I'm just cutting! I flesh out my path on the straights of the flame work letting the wheel completely pierce the metal, and then I work from those various points - forward and backward - to connect to other points.

Glad I just bought a bulk pack of the reinforced cutting disks! ;)

I evened up the side window, and started on the top window. I accidentally came up with, what might be, a really cool cutting effect if I can get it to work right. More later....

I'll post up pics tomorrow after I get the flames on top fleshed out. Made good progress on them tonight!

Ah well... I'm all itchy! Best 4 me to get clean and not bring it 'tween the sheets with the wifeypoo! ;)

MOD ON!!!! :thumb:

19. Chrizzle

Chrizzle What's a Dremel?

I love it. It reminds me of Pimp my Ride on MTV. All you need now, to make it rdiculously ostentatious, is to wrap it in velvet. Great work though. May your dremel wheels rest in peace man.
    I may have skipped over it, but what kind of lighting are you planning for those flames? Green?

20. Tech-Daddy

Velvet.... hehehehe, NOW you are thinkin'!!! :naughty: :naughty:

OOoooooo, that is giving me some ideas! :clap: :clap:

As for the flames, I am comtemplating etching in the flame work and lighting it somehow, but space under the lid is @ a premium, but I have some ideas for some uber bright LED's "sidelighting" the plexi/Lexan. Either clear/etch or clear/with side lights(green LED's) , or colored (possibly UV reactive plexi) with UV side LED's... dunno yet. We'll see how it pans out!