1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: "Building Better Worlds" by E.E.L. Ambiense - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 2 Feb 2008.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Thank you kindly for the nice words. I appreciate it, man.

Thank you! Glad you decided to look in on the mod.

Good question. :hehe: I'm basically waiting on when I can get some time on the Trotec laser to lasercut my acrylic. During 'season' right now, so the business is BUSYness. I'm hoping in the next week or so. I've been doing little odd things here and there like sleeving cables, etc., but I don't think it's worthy of an update. I'm getting antsy!

I've also been messing around with my new X38 DFI board for my main rig. I hope to get that up and running soon so I can unveil it to Bit-Tech.

Thanks for inquiring as to what the hell is taking so long though! :hehe:

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

For the first time seeing it I gotta say it looks great

Congrats on MOTM

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks, bro! Glad you looked in!

4. The_Beast

I'll glad I looked too

your PSU looks really sweet (high voltage :D)

5. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I hate this mod... :lol: Congrats on the nomination M8! :thumb: I hope you win it! :)

6. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks, man. LOL. High voltage indeed.

I know you do, Angel! :hehe:

Thanks, brother. I won't win though.....It's obviously cooler to slap MDF on a computer case instead. :hehe: :hehe:

I'm only kidding! Relax! I'm not bitter! Zwik should enjoy the praise. :thumb:

7. E.E.L. Ambiense

Small Update Again - March 9th

Hey guys/gals. Just another small update. I've been doing odd-n-ends things here and there on the case. Sleeving; dremeling; you know...the usual. ;) I had a small problem with the new PSU, in the fact that the cords hang and run right into the PSU frame that these CM cases have. I got a little peeved, so I drilled out the rivets on the frame and removed it. And proceeded to mark out and dremel out the area where the wires run into it coming off the PSU. It solved the problem, to say the least. After dremeling it off and sanding/smoothing the cuts out, I decided to powder coat it again. So that meant removing my little cutout sticker on the side of it. No biggie. After coating it, I made a better more suitable sticker for it.

[​IMG]

Looks better, IMHO.

The problem with the bracket is below... The cuts were made where the red circled stuff is. You'll be able to make out the problem I was having.

[​IMG]

And just to show the build in the current form a bit, even though I'm spoiling it IMO.

[​IMG]

Like I had said before, I was away last weekend and I had some problems/issues with the CPA and getting tax crap for the business taken care of. Ugh pretty much sums it up, :lol:.

Here's a pic I snapped off the hotel room balcony at night close to the Disney World resort area. Relaxing....especially with cold orange juice and a bottle of Grey Goose to keep me company. Oh, and a woman too. :D

[​IMG]

-------------
    Until the next update, I got nuthin'. :thumb:

8. MShort

MShort putting the "i" in team

[​IMG]

the hotel your in wouldnt happen to have a marina next to it, i spent some time down that way on my boat, and that walkway bridge seems oddly familiar, sorry to be off topic, your work ,by the way, is of some the highest quality ive seen, great stuff

9. E.E.L. Ambiense

No, not that I know of. It's in the middle of the state, lol. I don't think there's a marina, but I could be mistaken!

Thank you kindly for the nice words, by the way.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2008
  10. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

E.E.L.
    Looking verra fine indeed.:clap: One question - the black angled bars like a Police barricade tape don't appear as precise as the lettering. It might be the angle of the picture but they look sort of wavy and not "crisp". That make sense?
    I am just pointing this out since the rest of the lettering and the case is so tight(learned that from my granddaughter).

John
    P.S. When you get home file a police report because someone stole your ceiling

11. E.E.L. Ambiense

Hey, John! Yeah, makes sense. But nope....straight as...well, I'm not going there. :hehe: They're straight though. Might just be the pic's angle or something. Thanks for lookin' in!

Edit:

LOL! Hey, they gotta cut costs somewhere! :hehe:

12. meddish

meddish What's a Dremel?

so forget the mod where are the pics of the woman!!!!

great to see th mods its going great.... dont know about the colours but..... that are a.... wired match.... it WILL stand out @ LANs that for sure!

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

LOL.

Yeah, seems to be the common response when it comes to the colors, because it doesn't look like everything else out there.

Last edited: 10 Mar 2008
  14. The_Beast

I'm going to be honest

I don't like that color orange of the front of the case, it doesn't seem to got with the case

15. E.E.L. Ambiense

With an orange mobo tray, and green side panels, the colors balance out quite well IMHO. I appreciate the opinion though! :thumb:

16. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

So - No worklog of the MicroFly now we have no pictures of the lady:wallbash:
    "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" So share.
    John

17. E.E.L. Ambiense

LOL. Well....you know the old saying...a gentleman never tells. Besides, I never takes pics of my true mods! :D

18. tssen

tssen What's a Dremel?

I love your mod! Especially the colors. There's just something about that new industrial feel...
    This log makes me want to paint my case orange.

19. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thank you kindly for posting. I appreciate it! Your opinion on the colors is definitely in the minority though. :hehe:

20. E.E.L. Ambiense

Text Update Mar. 11th

Hey guys. Bad news to give... My DFI Expert board is belly-up. I don't know how, or why, but it is. I even tried a different BIOS chip after thinking maybe the BIOS got borked. But no. Nothing. I tried different PSU's, thinking maybe the one that's being used in the mod is what isn't working, but nope. Different processor too. I have two CPU's; an X2 and a single-core unit. Same issue with both. Different RAM, etc. Nothing. It'd at least power up in some way. But when I hit the power switch on the board, I get nothing. No fans spinning; no beeping; nothing. And that's both in the case and on a phonebook with antistatic bag underneath it!

Now the question I pose is this: should I pay the $30, plus shipping, to send it in to DFI to look at for out of warranty repair with no guarantee of fix, or just cut my losses on the hardware and go with a new AM2-based board? The problem with a new board is that my RAM cooler won't work because basically all the AM2-based boards have the RAM slots to the right of the CPU instead of the left (where the Expert board is...), and the cooler requires mounting on the exhaust fan. The exception being the SLI-capable NF590 board from DFI, that I know of, and coincidentally has been deactivated! I'd also have to buy a new processor as well.

Anyone have any ideas? Anyone? Hello? :confused:

THIS SUCKS! :(

Tags: