1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project : eye-tx 29th Mar -Third update today and it looks like a case .... at last.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bugeye, 21 Nov 2011.

1. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

So while my other project , Zotac Rebox is under going a bit of a rethink I'm making a start on another project :)

Inspired by a few of the itx builds on here and the realisation that not all cases have to be square boxes :duh: I thought I'd have a go at something more ambitious ....

End of the long PAD process .

[​IMG]

First former , from 4mm acrylic . I'm going to us it to cut the main former from 10mm .

[​IMG]

Last edited: 29 Mar 2012
  2. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Routing the 10mm former . The big piece of mdf is to stabilise the router .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shiny new former :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

While waiting for some glue to dry I thought I'd post a quick update :)

As I've got a lot of fiddly routing to do I made up a router table .

First job was to true up some bits of acrylic .

[​IMG]

Seems to be a good fit :)

[​IMG]

I'm going to use my first template to make two more , one for the bottom and one for the top parts of the case . Where the top and bottom parts meet there is a mitre . I made up another ;) template to cut them so I could get them all exactly the same .

[​IMG]

Three parts of the top template glued together and the lower one cut .

[​IMG]

4. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

So cut cut a long story short , after a couple more templates I have these .

[​IMG]

Then these .

[​IMG]

An finally some parts :clap:

[​IMG]

And they fit :)

[​IMG]

Angel OD likes this.
  5. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say this is going to be EPIC! :thumb:

So very very subbed! :)

6. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Thanks for the comment & the rep Angel :) and thanks to the other people who have left rep too :thumb:

Can anyone recommend an internal ir receiver , smaller the better .

Something like this would be good , although I would have to remove the receiver from the board to fit it . This one comes with a remote that I don't really want . I would have a go at a kit if it was cheap enough to throw away after I'd broken it :lol:

[​IMG]

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

8. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Thanks for the link talladega . That looks a better bet than the one I found , it was on the American Ebay site and was $30 inc the remote . The HDPLEX one is $12 and supports power on from complete shutdown . Only thing is it seems to be out of stock .

Having looked a bit more I don't think I'm going to find one that I can use without rewiring the sensor so the pcb size isn't so critical .

9. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

So now that Rebox is done and Raspberry Rebox is waiting on the hardware I though I'd make some progess on this one :)

I want to fit the front rear formers to the base with some machine screws so that I can take it apart to work on the various bits as I go along .

The formers need a 3.5mm hole in them for clearance on the 3mm screws I'm using but the base needs 2.5mm holes for the thread . I didn't want to drill a 2.5mm hole all the way through and then try and drill it out in the former after as I find the acrylic tends to splinter when doing that .

The other problem I had was holding everything true and square while drilling the holes , I don't have a milling machine just the pillar drill .

So I came up with this contraption :D

[​IMG]

I set the depth stop on the drill to go just through the former and leave a little mark on the base , you can just seem them with the former removed .

[​IMG]

Action shot , drilling out the 2.5mm holes in the base :)

[​IMG]

Bit of tapping .

[​IMG]

And countersunk and screwed together .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

10. motorsportcfd

motorsportcfd What's a Dremel?

Awesome build! Great craftsmanship!

11. peteski

peteski long live the pc

nice work mate cant wait to see more :rock: :rock: :rock:

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

This shows a lot of promise. The amount of skill that has gone into just the few parts so far is impressive.

13. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

That is really cool. Very original idea, and a great start. I look forward to more, to see how well you pull this concept off! :thumb:

14. J3!!3

J3!!3 What's a Dremel?

Looks great, i hope you can keep up the good work. Also a nice workplace to do some modding.

15. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Looks really interesting! Love the low profile.

16. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Going by the quality of your build I'll take that as a compliment and a bit .... love the mouse by the way , as Homer Simpson would 'mmmmm shiny ' :)

Thanks Cheapskate :) I decided it was worth spending the time to get these bits spot on as the quality of the whole build rests on how well they fit .... even though none of it will be seen .

I had a bit of a geek happy moment when I realised that the bits of the formers were interchangeable the top from one fitted perfectly with the bottom of the other :)

Thanks KidMod' :) no pressure then :worried:

Thanks :) I'm going to take my time with this one , make sure I can keep the quality up . Having the workshop is a definite plus :)

Thanks :) went through a few drawings to keep it looking low and still clear the cpu fan etc .

17. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

Little bit of progress today :)

Running around the curved parts of the formers I need a series of strips of acrylic ( set inside like the base ) to support what ever I use to cover the top and undersides with . When I was truing up the base I made it over length that gave me an off cut the same width as the depth of the base . The idea is to cut thin strips of about 12mm and true them up using the table router landing up with a 10mm square section that is exactly the right length.

To do this I need some jigs ... two reasons , 1 so that I've got something straight to follow with the router and 2 some way of holding the rather small strips so that I don't remove my fingers while doing it :)

Here's the first jig / holder .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the second on I need to cut a profile into the aluminium . For some reason I can't remember now I decided that it would be nice if the acrylic strips weren't just square :rolleyes:

18. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

This mornings progress :)

Finished the jig with the profile in it and cut the blanks .

[​IMG]

Blank held in the jig with a bit of double sided tape .

[​IMG]

Lots of routing later :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't mind admitting that these were a real pain to get right . They were really difficult to get square . The first pass on the non profiled side worked well enough but the problems started on the other side . Because they had a slightly smaller area of the tape to grab on to and I was removing slightly more material the part would move in the jig meaning that they came out a touch out of square . The solution was to turn the router speed up to full and run the part through more slowly . This meant less pressure on the part so it didn't move :)

Took me a few goes to figure it out :wallbash: ..... squint ones .

[​IMG]

How they will work with the rest of it .

[​IMG]

Next is some wedge shaped bits for the ends .

Got myself a new router bit :) you'll see why soon .

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Feb 2012
  19. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

So wedge shaped bits :)

First blank in the jig .... I've run it through the band saw already to take some of the excess off .

[​IMG]

Being routed .

[​IMG]

Finished bit .

[​IMG]

You can see it a bit better if I cover it , they are symmetrical to about .5mm just the camera angle .

[​IMG]

Where they fit .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next thing is to figure out how to fix them in place , I can't decide between screwing or glueing them :confused: probably land up as a combination of both :)

20. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I love the design, and the manufacturing is very well thought over! :thumb: