1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project F40

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by lamcdonald, 14 Mar 2004.

1. daba

daba What's a Dremel?

Nice stuff! :)

Very nice mod so far... I like the whole concept.

2. AlaskanModder

AlaskanModder What's a Dremel?

:thumbsup: /me click subscribe

very nice work. makes me want to go racing =-)

3. emti3

emti3 What's a Dremel?

very very good :) :D :D :baby: :thumb: :jawdrop:

4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I definitely think you should put some grille pieces in the back of the ducts. If I'm not mistaken (it is entirely possible that I am), the real car has grilles in the ducts, correct? After the amount of work you put into the gearbox and gauges, it would almost seem a shame to miss that little detail.

Overall, this is coming along quite nicely. I think whatever red you choose will make or break this project, as they say. Not that the wrong red will make it look bad, per se, but the right red will make make it that much better.

I'm even more anxious to see the final result. Great work!

-monkey

5. lamcdonald

lamcdonald What's a Dremel?

supermonkey: Yeah I'll put the grille bits in. It would look weird without them :D I don't know if the actual F40 has them, but I know some other Ferraris do, including the F50 and possibly the 250GTO.

I'll just have to hope the red I have is near enough... I don't have a real F40 around to compare, unfortunately :/ :) I have used the Cherry Red before (10 years ago :p) and it was very bright, so I think it may pass for Ferrari Red :)

I decided to try the Cherry Red paint, just in case it wasn't too dark. I'm fairly happy with the result :)

This is after one thin test coat:
    (2nd pic is without the flash. My cam is totally pitiful at capturing shade of red :()

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dusted off a couple of my F40 models for a colour comparison :D I have 4 each of the F40 and F50, 1x 550, 1x 360 and one Enzo

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Quick rough test fit :p

[​IMG]

Drying in the sun... One coat of red on each piece.

[​IMG]

After the 2nd coat...

[​IMG]

I tested some other red paint on the spoiler, but it was darker than the cherry Red so I sanded it and tried to re-prime... Didn't work too well :waah:

[​IMG]

I looked through some pics of the back of the F40, trying to decide how to style/paint the PSU. I eventually settled on black PSU with silver fan (non-LED)

PSU bits ready for primer; after primer

[​IMG] [​IMG]

After one coat of satin black

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fan bits drying

[​IMG] [​IMG]

You can't see it in this pic, but the paint on the top panel is a bit uneven, it will probably need at least another 2 coats :/

[​IMG]

What do you think? Is the colour near enough, or should I try something else? (If I can find the $$ :/)

Project Stats

Date: Sat 15 May 2004
    Cost to date: $230.35
    Working Time: 75hrs
    Dremel disks used: 13
    Dremels killed: 0.9375
    Parts discarded: 2
    Parts destroyed: 0
    Next: Finish PSU and spoiler
    Looking for: Nothing at the moment...
    Next update expected: Tues 18 May 2004

6. PsychoI3oy

PsychoI3oy Minimodder

allowing for discrepencies in monitor and digital camera color, i'd say that color definitely screams ferrari red.

very nice, keep up the good attention to detail :)

7. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

NICE! I'm going to do something like that just with a shuttlebox after the project im working on now :)

8. lamcdonald

9. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

the f40 also has a vented window over the engine(must have been thought up by a modder :D ) i think u could encorperate this into ur side panel alos the outermost tailight is orenge not red and you could encorperate fake exaust(the farrari has them in the rear bumber oops stupid me was looking at an f50 well maybe u could still use the ideas
    :wallbash:

10. lamcdonald

I've been thinking about the window since the start :) But the case has a similar vent system on the back panel, so it already has basically the same effect. Also I'm not sure how I would go about moulding the vents into a piece of acrylic without messing it up, otherwise I'd give it a try :)

The shop didn't have any orange reflectors :( But I want it to be semi-symmetrical anyway, so I'm not too upset :)

I hadn't thought about an exhaust, but I may be able to include one somehow. There's not a lot of usable room on the back panel though :/

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

OK, so I didn't get anything done today :/ I've got a cold/chest infection so I've got to take it easy for a few days. I did do some work on the page though:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/lamdesign/ProjectF40/

Any comments/suggestions? :D

11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Two words:

NICE COLOR :thumb:

Seriously, that red is fantastic. I'm not sure how it looks in person (given the camera -> monitor -> internet discrepencies) but from where I'm sitting it looks great. Keep it up.

-monkey

12. Andrewv

Andrewv What's a Dremel?

Very Nice

13. emti3

emti3 What's a Dremel?

extra color :) :thumb: Your Computer casing looks how ferrari

14. Corg8d

Corg8d What's a Dremel?

A man after my own heart. :D

Great job so far!

15. wickyman

wickyman What's a Dremel?

I have to say, that looks so close to "Enzo Ferrari Red" it isn't even funny! Knowing my way around the ferrari myself, I know exact colors and such they would have used, etc. To an untrained eye it looks perfect, but me knowing that the camera angles, monitor colors, and light refractions could cause it to look perfect. It's very close though, i give you many a props on this whole project, it takes guts, and skills to achieve such a nice outcome!

I like the way you made the "tach/speedo?", look! It's awesome! Very very unique. I have seen a few other ferrari degin cases, but none compare to this. Most of them actually are just red with a huge logo on the side, and maybe a case badge. Could I suggest to you, that I think you should make yourself a painted window, with the ferrari emblem covering most? Try and get clear hobby paint, and spray it, so that when light shines through it comes out nice and crisp. Or you can also get some of that clear overhead projector paper like teachers use, and print it out on an inkjet! those are nice!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

16. lamcdonald

No, I'm not dead :p

After 4 system rebuilds, I finally built a new server, and the board I used is a mATX which settled the question of whether the wheels would be usable or not :D There should be heaps of room below the board to fit the right rear wheel :) [I haven't checked the clearance yet, so I've probably jinxed myself now... :rolleyes:]

I worked on Project F40 again for the first time in weeks. I'm 99% recovered from the flu, but I've had heaps of other things to do plus the weather has gotten pretty cold lately :(

Not much text this time as it's 2:50am here :sleep:

These bits only had 1 or 2 coats of paint and got a bit scratched in the couple of weeks I didn't work on it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now for some metalwork! :dremel:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ouch :waah: Angle grinder caught the edge and ripped it up :(
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it's :sleep: time for me.

Project Stats

Date: Wed 2 June 2004
    Working Time: 78hrs
    Dremel disks used: 20
    Dremels killed: 0.95
    Next: Wheels and window
    Next update expected: Thurs 3 June 2004

17. ginguskahn

ginguskahn What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Love that m8, looks well authentic :)

Good fun mod this :D

18. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

*sniff sniff do i smell a prancing horse window? loving it the paint looks like the paint on the ferrari in the ati demo cd :thumb: but those ducks scare me they dont look to strong :sigh:

19. lamcdonald

I still haven't decided on the window design. I'll probably end up having a window on each side, probably with a logo on the RHS one.

Yeah the ducts are rather fragile :( I've had to re-glue one of them, but now they're painted they should be OK :)

I didn't achieve a lot this week :eek: Foir some reason I've been sleeping 10-12 hours every night for the past couple of weeks :(

I applied a 2nd coat of Cherry Red to the top and front panels, and Satin Black to the PSU and rear grille. I also made the NACA duct grille pieces (from an old speaker grille of course :D) and painted the tacho needle and surround. I also put the CF vinyl on the tacho surround, but broke the corner off the acrylic while drilling the holes for the decorative screws :waah: I glued it back on, but it'll never be the same again :(

OK, the pics!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sanded and ready for window marking & cutting :D

[​IMG]

Disaster struck the spoiler too :( I was wet-sanding it and one side came unglued :waah: (not pictured sorry) but the other side stayed solid as a rock :confused:

[​IMG]

Duct Grilles!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Just test fitting. Please excuse the finger :eek:

[​IMG]

Project Stats

Date: Fri 11 June 2004
    Working Time: 85hrs
    Dremel disks used: 28
    Dremels killed: 0.95
    Next: Side Panels
    Next update expected: Tues 15 June 2004

Last edited: 11 Jun 2004
  20. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

<!-- eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwww JavaScript --> :D

Naah looks good. Not a fan of red in web pages (makes my eyes ache) but this isn't too bad. Just subtle enough to be easy on the eyes. At least you are not using Dreamweaver rollover code (AKA The Most Bloated Code In The Known Universe).

Oh yeah and the mod is cool too :D