1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Fluttershy - Almost Finished!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by AK71, 10 Nov 2011.

1. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

2. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

Thanks Razer. I should have put that link in somewhere :D

3. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Sweet! Cannot wait to see your vectors - so keep the updates coming. You've got at least one subscriber now, so try not to disappoint eh? ;)

4. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

I actually drew the picture of her in my first post. And thanks for subscribing, should be a big update coming tomorrow if my post arrives...

5. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Seriously? Sweet beans that's good! Be sure to submit this mod to EqD at some point, as I'm sure they'd love to feature it - seems right up their alley, and would get you a ton of exposure in the community.

6. FiXeL

FiXeL What's a Dremel?

This mod would be considered a bit fruity by some, maybe even weird. I must admit i did'nt know what to think of this... Cute theme, mean looking case... But you did a very nice job sofar. Not sure if you are into anime, but this definatly has Kawaii (cute) written all over it.

7. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

@Malvolio Thanks! I've already emailed Equestria Daily about this case, I've been told it's going to get a post all to itself when it's done :D

@FiXeL Thanks for the compliments. I like some anime but Fluttershy is definitely cute.

Marcio Luiz de pai likes this.
  8. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Can't profess to be a 'brony' myself but the paint quality and clever use of colours is brilliant; it could have been very easy to make it a horrible mass of clashing but the tones are spot on :thumb:

The wife on the other hand is a bonafide horse mentalist (she even has Horse and Country channel on regularly to watch carriage driving and dressage and brags about having met Desert Orchid) and loves it regardless of the work quality since it's MLP inspired. I'm sure she'll be wanting something similar when I'm able to get around to modding a case for her.

9. TotalGaos

TotalGaos Stainless steel.. hmm..

You are not alone, AK71! Loving the mod. Subscribed!

10. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

I'm sorry, but you seem to have misspelt your mod's name. Clearly you meant Rarity. perhaps you may need an eye exam too, you appear to have not painted in the correct white and purple.

but good luck none the less, subbed and brohoof /)(\

11. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

I'm sorry, but you seem to have misspelt your mod's name. Clearly you meant Rarity. perhaps you may need an eye exam too, you appear to have not painted in the correct white and purple.

but good luck none the less, subbed and brohoof /)(\

12. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

@Throbbi Thanks! Looks like you are going to be busy making your own MLP case at some point then...

@Wing Zero Yay! Another brony. *Brohoof* White and purple would look good as a case theme but Rarity is quite a way down the list for me, she's too much of a drama queen :D

Hooves crossed I get my stuff in the post tomorrow, I want to finish off what I've started so I can make an update...

13. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

@TotalGaos sorry for missing giving you thanks too :( I typed it but it vanished for some reason when I hit submit!

14. TotalGaos

TotalGaos Stainless steel.. hmm..

Thats OK, AK! I'm not here to receive thanks, I'm here for updates!

15. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

16. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

Update 16th Nov

Update time! Progress has been a bit slow over the past couple of days as I've been trying a couple of different versions of what I'm about to show. Also STILL WAITING for delivery of ATX pins, heatshrink and some more LEDs. Once they finally arrive I can finish off the fans and get them installed, change the LEDs in my fan controller and get to work on finishing the wiring...

But for now some pictures!

[​IMG]

PSU installed

[​IMG]

and a shot of the rear of the motherboard tray to show the wiring. This case has so much space behind here, makes it so easy to hide all the wiring so no wires coming from the PSU will be seen. I even managed to stuff the Molex cable that I won't be using right behind the frame on this side.

Continuing with the theme of only making what wires I want visible, I have fabricated three of the four covers I need from sheet styrene. I prefer using this stuff to acrylic for a number of reasons. The standard styrene glue can be used as a filler as it actually melts the plastic together and with all the different thicknesses available I have control over how it's mounted. Besides this, there is very little clearance between the top of the PSU and the bottom of the PCI slot section.

[​IMG]

The three covers so far, almost ready for paint apart from the PSU cover which still needs sanding and a couple of tweaks here and there. From left to right - main PSU cover, cover for the rear of the 5.25" bay and one for the area between motherboard tray, 5.25" and 3.5" bays.

[​IMG]

This shows what I was saying about getting the thickness perfectly right on the mounting points. This extra bit fits perfectly in the tab on top of the 3.5" bay :D

And here is where they will go when completed.

[​IMG]

PSU cover. The last cover I need to fabricate will cover the large hole at the bottom of the motherboard tray and the wires coming out. I'm still looking around for the last piece I need for this one though...

[​IMG]

5.25" bay cover. Still needs notching for the SATA power and data cables. And yes, I've managed to find yellow SATA data cables! DVD drive is unpainted at the moment, it's just in here at the minute as a mock-up.

[​IMG]

And the main cover for the area where the main HDD bay used to live. This one will actually be bolted in place using the original fixing tabs, the others will be fixed using double sided tape.

I may need to add some holes for graphics card power cables at some point. I am currently trying to find sponsorship or get some money together for a new motherboard, processor and graphics card. I only have the hardware in my current PC available at the minute and obviously can't keep switching things between the two cases. My current graphics card is a 7600GT :( so it doesn't need any more power than it gets from the slot.
    I may need to soon though so I can work out where the power cables and stuff are going to be situated.

17. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

Update 18th November

Time for another update! Now that a lot of the painting is done, it's time to work on some details that will actually fit the case to the theme, rather than just being a yellow and pink paint job...

First, I started by drawing this in Photoshop

[​IMG]

The some of this

[​IMG]

The black circles are just so I can see the edge of the piece I actually want and cut to the proper size.

Time to cover the ugly stickers on the fans!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Front 200mm fan. I have replaced all the LEDs with 5mm pink ones, wired with pink and black wire then sleeved. I did it this way so I can control the lighting without it being based on the voltage going to the fan. I also had to run the wires around the edges as there was no room to fit new wires alongside the main fan wiring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top 200mm fan. This one was wired in the same way, although using yellow LEDs this time. The main compartment will mainly be lit in yellow with just a subtle pink glow coming from the front fan. Hopefully with the way the case is designed, I shouldn't get much light shining inside from the front fan...

As soon as my other LEDs arrive I'll be able to finish my fan controller and optical drive and do a full lighting test.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear 120mm exhaust fan. This time I have used a fan that's run from a separate controller, I can also pick the colour of lighting to get it the same as the other LEDs I'll be using. It also has a remote control to turn the LEDs on or off, although I'll probably keep this one lit while the PC is turned on, the light from this position will be less obtrusive. I also didn't want to wire in my own LEDs as the wiring would be visible.

Not finished there, I added some more details to other areas and sealed them with lacquer.

[​IMG]

Optical drive front panel.

[​IMG]

Fan controller front panel.

[​IMG]

And a full version of Fluttershy's cutie mark on the main cover plate.

I then fitted the two 200mm fans and cover plate.

[​IMG]

Front fan.

[​IMG]

Front section cover plate.

[​IMG]

And a shot of the top fan showing the butterfly sticker is still visible through the fan mesh.

Hopefully I will get some more deliveries tomorrow, I'm getting desperate for those LEDs and also need some more black fan screws to get the rear fan mounted. Should soon be able to get the front panel back in place and get more of an idea what this is going to look like!

18. RedManc

RedManc What's a Dremel?

I think the colour combination looks superb especially on that front panel,
    As someone who had just painted the internals of their own case I would strongly advise
    taking your time with it and making sure you cover all the surfaces in an even coat.

If you leave patches unpainted like inside the 2.5inch bays it will weaken the paint job and be liable to chipping even though you may never touch it :)

Nice work on making everyone search Brony I still don't understand it :D

19. AK71

AK71 What's a Dremel?

Thanks RedManc! I have painted a number of cases before and one thing I have found with this one is that tolerances are incredibly tight. Even with just 4 layers of paint (primer, two colour coats and a lacquer) and things just don't fit! I've already scratched the inside paint on the 5.25" bay when I mocked up the DVD drive, I'm going to have to be super careful getting it back in now the drive is painted too :worried: At least I'm making sure that everything that will be seen is painted properly.

Tolerances used to be so much higher before manufacturers started painting their internal chassis!

20. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Got to admit: looking fantastic! Do you think you'll end up incorporating anything with Angel or the FlutterB****/FlutterGuy aspects of her into the design?