1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Green Cube

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nath, 31 Jan 2004.

1. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Hi Guys!

This is my first mod but I've been planning for months so hopefully everything will go smoothly!

Basically I aim to create a cube case similar to the Yeong-Yang server cubes that cost more than most people earn in a year. It will have a number of mods to it but instead of buying a cube I've bought two Casecom 9970 midi towers which will be grafted together.

Mods Include:

-(maybe)LCD built into one side of case (one whole midi case will be empty so lots of room!)
    -Big storage area built into same side as LCD (for foldable keyboard, mouse and cables etc.) with proximity sensor which should open the sliding door leading to it when you put your hand near.
    -Network hub built in for easy lanning with mates.
    -Windows in both sides (if cannot scrounge LCD for one of them) with blowholes (blue UV fans and cathodes with either unreal or biohazard grill)
    -Hand-made fanbus and light controller

Probably a load of other mods if I think about past projects of different sorts (not mods but you get the idea)

Some Pics taken with my grandma's (she built my pc) digital camera:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit:there were more pics but my uploadit account got flushed down the loo, and I haven't got enough room on my new one for all the pics.

Anyway progress will start in the week when I get all the stuff into school and the CDT teachers let me loose with powertools! *cackles evilly* :naughty:

Last edited: 27 Jul 2004
  2. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

looks promising, cant wait too see some progress

3. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

Oh, I saw this a while back, someone did a simliar case! Who WAS that? Anyways, if I can find it, I'll point you to it. You might get a few ideas from it.

On a side note, do something different. Like, have one case right side up, then flip the one next to it upside down. Or maybe turn the 5.25" bays to the side so that they sit facing the side panel.

Or, just, you know, keep it simple. :rock:

4. SJH

SJH Minimodder

No offence or anything, but your Grandma built your computer?!?! Wow, never heard anything like that before.

Your 'all-in-one' idea seems like a good one - instant LAN party with the built-in hub! The fan grills look great :D

Using a school DT workshop is the best way of building anything. I'm always getting help with random stuff from the teacher who taught me during my 2 GCSE years. Brilliant tools, and expert help (when needed). Great subject to do ;)

-Sam

5. Nath

Thanks!

Hey everyone!
    Thanks very much for all the useful comments.
    3N1Gn4 thanks for that hopefully more updates soon.
    Providence:Yes I did get some kind of inspiration from the same project and it was two old mini-towers which had been fixed together in the same way this one will be. Yea I'll think about doing something out of the ordinary, could be interesting.
    Shastings: Yep my grandma built it and has built about 6 I think for various people. Mine was the first one so it was a bit buggy at first but after some upgrades it's ok. Also the main reason I'm not doing this project at home is because the most complex tool we have is a hacksaw lol :sigh: :hehe:

Slight update (no actual work just pics):

The reason I'm building a big pc is because I've got no room left. If you look at my awful cable management you'll see why.

*Pics edited out cause I can't find them on my pc*

And that was before getting some cathodes and other gadgets (eg network card etc.)

Hopefully getting some new rounded cables soon.

-Nathan

Last edited: 27 Jul 2004
  6. barbz

barbz What's a Dremel?

hey, just an idea, im working on a cube case atm, what i think u should do (cus i cant in the cube case im making) is to have a draw mounted into the left side of the case. to get like those slidable draw mounts and mount them into the side then stealth the draw mabye by cutting out the side of the case to act as the front of the draw, just an idea.

well atleast i thought it was a good idea

-BaRbZ

7. Nath

Very interesting. Do you mean for the storage bit?
    Anyway thanks for the ideas and I'd be grateful if you could elaborate a bit.

:thumb:

-Nathan

8. barbz

barbz What's a Dremel?

yeah, to like hold keyboard/mouse/network cable/power cable, stuff like that for going to lans. if u were really daring u could get a special compartment to hold caffine based beverages (i know i would)

9. Nath

Sadly I don't drink coffee or the like but do have quite a liking for pepsi so that could be quite interesting lol hmmmm

thanks for the idea

10. Nath

Update

Sorry forgot to mention this but I'm planning to stealth the drives as well and put some plexi on the front bezel.

-Nathan

11. lizard.boy

lizard.boy What's a Dremel?

i like it

lol -http://generals.50free.org/my_pc_small.jpg
    waiting for xp to install?

you could build a fileserver or hardware firewall into one side if you have empty space.

12. Nath

So many ideas!

LOL! Yea that was when something went wrong in my comp (trojan) and I had to format. Anyway I've got so many ideas for this spare side. Can people please tell me what they think is best or suggest more? Thanks.

Ideas:
    LCD screen
    Window & Blowhole
    Storage
    Network hub

I could probably get a combination of a few in.

-Nathan

13. barbz

barbz What's a Dremel?

what you could do (if u intended on spending ample money) is to buy a car lcd, u know, u can get big ones like 9 inches or somthing, and they run off 12V DC (cus of car battery), and just hook that up as a seconday monitor, with the TV out OUTPUT thats found on most decent vid cards these days, then u can run winamp on it, hardware monitoring software or something cool like that.

-BaRbZ

14. Nath

Sorry mate, on a budget. I'm 13 and it's all my own money so I can't afford to be extravagant.

15. lizard.boy

lizard.boy What's a Dremel?

me too. it suxs i cant even build a cmp to mod so i just keep getting ideas and reading up on stuff :sigh:

16. Nath

?

Do you have like a family computer? Maybe your parent(s) would let you use that?

17. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

hmm....my idea:

Strip down both two case completely. Cut off all of the metal parts of the case untill its just a frame, then weld the two frames together to make a big cube frame. Then make the sides all out of plexi. This would make it much lighter, making it easy to take LAN parties and whatnot, plus I think it would be big on the cool factor :thumb: (In fact, I might do something like this with two old cases :D...thats if I can salvage them from somewhere)

18. Nath

Great!

I definately like that idea, sounds good!

At the moment I'm having trouble sourcing plexi for just the windows( :wallbash: ) never mind the whole case! lol but if you know anywhere in the uk which sells it then could you let me know?
    :thumb:

19. Nath

Guys I need an opinion.

Would it be better to get an expensive adapter for laptop - vga so i can run a laptop screen out the side or just use my normal 17" crt?

20. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

My advice is to stick with the CRT for now, and save your money so you can get something better later. I know what it is like to have ideas, but lack funding and materials to do them... Im only 16! I like the cube idea... I actually plan on building one myself sometime, but as more of a high powered do everything rig, from graphics rendering to extreme gaming and even to bieing a dedicated server. Kind of an all in wonder machine, isnt it :p :naughty: Fortunately, I am going to have a job this summer, so at the end of it, Ill be able to afford all this stuff :D

So, as I was saying, stick with a CRT for now. Save your money, and then when the time is right, buy a nice LCD instead of having to use your laptop's screen. (Those things suck in comparison ;))