1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROJECT: Green Dragon | major delay | Updated 10/2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Acid Burn, 12 May 2004.

?

Should I Insert an engraved window in my front door?

Poll closed 7 Jun 2004.
  1. Yes! Yes! Yes!

27 vote(s)
    61.4%
  2. No... just bondo the door smooth

17 vote(s)
    38.6%
  1. ^R3CoN

^R3CoN What's a Dremel?

Try resetting your bios. If that doesn't work, put you mobo on you mobo box, en try to boot then.

You said it happend after you sleaved you psu, maybe you putted a cable at the wrong place ?

(sorry for my crappy englisch)

2. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

Thanks prepare 2 die :D

I have restarted ccmos but nothing happened.. the thing is. that when I press Del to enter the bios, it just makes clicking noises... and the same happens when i press tab to enter POSY screen.... the only times i mannage to enter the POST screen is when i hold the button from the start. this does not work when i try to enter BIOS.

I have checked, double checked, and tripple checked the order of the whires... and all of them are placed correct... The first time i turned on the computer i had reverced some of the molexes (red whire to the left instead of to the right) but none of these where plugged to anything so shouldn't have caused any problems.

By mobo box... do you mean the box the mobo came in?

3. ^R3CoN

^R3CoN What's a Dremel?

Yes, so you are sure it doens't shortcircuit ( did i type it right ? :)). Maybe you motherboard is touching the alu ( metal ) of the case.

Or else take off all the extra's such ass fans, extra pci cards. If that doesn't work, try to remove you cpu and put him back in the mobo.

4. AutoExec

AutoExec What's a Dremel?

are you sure the IDE devices are pluged in in the exact same order as it were before? I've found that some combinations will prevent the computer from booting..
    have you tried different plugs from the PSU? (of course you have :) )
    can you hear or feel if the harddrives are actually running?
    does the light on the cd rom start flashing when you turn the computer on?

5. vortex 69

vortex 69 What's a Dremel?

Ok, this might sound stupid but have you tried reinstalling the CPU??
    Sometime ago i had a similar problem and that solved it...after 8 hours messing with the cables, wires and every other hardware except the CPU :wallbash:
    I know it says the problem is the IDE connection, mine said it was the graphic card... :D

Well, only trying to help, good luck...

Last edited: 17 Jul 2004
  6. AutoExec

if everything else fails you could always take everything apart and put it back together :D

seriously though.. it might work..

7. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

For a machine to completely POST, you need CPU, RAM, VIDEO, Hard disk.
    :idea:
    Now, you can forgo the RAM and the hard disk, and simply make it CPU and video, the POST will complete, but a message will be displayed regarding the missing items.

But at least it should POST.

Get another power supply and attach it to your system. If you POST, then your wiring on the sleeved unit is mismatched somewhere. Then you can either use the working PS as a template to repair the wiring harness on your sleeved unit, or you can leave that working one on the computer.

If the new PS does not work, take it back for a refund, and check all of your mobo jumpers. Make sure the FSB did not get set too high (if your board has these types of jumpers.) . Make sure you are not shorting out against something. Take the mobo out and put it on a nonconductive material (foam or the anti-static backing that ships with the motherboards) attach your power and a video to it and see if it comes up. If it comes up here and not in the case, then you are looking at a short in the computer. Recheck all IDE cables for fit and scan their surface for any splits or exposed wires within the IDE cable. I had a Shuttle do this to me once, it was a mess....

Also, make sure that your standoffs for the motherboard tray are only touching the motherboard where there is a hole. If you have a metal screw in type stand off, and there is one that is mismatched and not on a hole, your motherboard could be resting on it with a circuit, or a solder point. And that shorts out you case too.

Have you checked the ASUS forums or support sections of their web site?
    This could be a warranty'able fix, if some revisions of their motherboards were suceptable to this failure. It is worth loking into.

Good luck!

8. LabRat1

LabRat1 What's a Dremel?

:hehe: thats the first thing I would do

switch the jumper for 10sec put it back
    try booting it with nothing except ram/cpu/gfx
    if it still fails it could be one of thoes components

I was thinking what could cause this. I have a feeling It might be your ram. :hehe: dident want you to miss that

My laptop's memory died, it would turn on, show POST and freeze.
    sounds very similar to your problem.

9. mjd

mjd What's a Dremel?

Not wishing to be insulting in anyway, but you have plugged your mouse/kb in the right ports? A PS2 mouse in a KB socket can often cause the a 'clicking' noise.

Of course if your using USB then this shouldnt be an issue, but I have sometimes found that when using a USB KB/Mouse that despite enabling USB legacy support, I need a PS2 mouse and keyboard to initially install the OS.

10. Acid Burn

than you soooo much for all tghe replies :D there are some really good suggestions there, and I'll check 'em :thumb:

Now there is the deal:
    When I took out the psu i had to cut the case because,or else i had to take out the cpu fan, due to blockage (if you understand whan i mean :)). i might have bumped into the cpu fan or the ram when i was taking out the psu.. I have not changed cases or moved the motherboard. i have not changed any of the IDE cable setup either.. of course a crew or nut might have fell betwen the mobo and the mobo plate in the case..

I have noticed that the HDDs doesn't start spinning when I start it up, neither does the cdrom.. I will try starting it up without the HDDs..

i am fearing the worst :worried: .... that the mobo is fried.. although it would be strange since all the pins in the 20 pin atx connector is correctly placed.

well.. If I have to take the computer apart, and installing them again, I will install them in thenew case just for fun, and set up the water cooling..

I'm sorry for all the spelling mistakes... I'm typing this on a lap top, and i'm not used to the keyboard.. :rolleyes:

11. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Take some quick pics of the ATX connector and your molex's. If you've wierd them wrong (which i did) they are immidatley shorted and nacked.

12. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

is it possible that he could have shocked it with static electricity?

try changing which molex connecters go to your hard drives. dont worry about the cd drives, in fact, unplug them. you need to get your hard disk drives working first.

13. Acid Burn

what could i have shorted? the psu or the hard drives? what about the mobo? man i hope i haven't shorted anything :worried:

14. Acid Burn

PROBLEM FOUND!!!

after hours of trying and failing i finally found the error... The primary hard drive (western caviar 80 gig) is most likely shorted... :D now i smile because I was going to change that hdd anyway and I have a new seagate 120gb disk to replace it with.. I wasn't going to change it before I was istalling everything in the new case... but since this incident happened, I guess I have to do it when I come home from Norway.. the only sad thing is that I lost some of my music and my cs config... the rest I don't care about :)

The reason for the short circuit is probably that o had reversed the molec that was plugged in that hard drive..

Tomorrow morning (about 12 o'clock) I will post pics of the case as it is now (with water cooling installed, but not the other hardware).

The dragon grill does not fit after all... because when i drilled the holes, I measured without the tubes attatched :duh: but I will just drill the holes larger.. right now I'm litening to the sweet quiet bubbeling from the water cooling :) I am now quite sure this will turn out to be a good first mod :)

15. activecactus

activecactus What's a Dremel?

Project Green Dragon

Glad to hear that you solved the porblem and that it wasn't too severe.
    Can't wait to see more pictures. :thumb:

16. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

WAY TO GO ACID!!!!
    You go, boy!

Hehehe... :hehe:

17. theagent

theagent What's a Dremel?

how do you reverse a molex? i thought they were shaped so you couldn't [unless it has something to do with your cable sleeving

18. AutoExec

he probably got the 5V and the 12V wires confused so that everything in the harddrive that needed 5V got 12V and everything that needed 12V got 5V.

good thing you found the problem even though you lost a 80GB harddrive in the prosess.. would have been nice with 200GB in sted of just 120GB... when thats said I did exactly the same when I had a 80GB and a 120GB.. only I got water inside it instead of reversing the molex :D

19. infoworx

infoworx Banned

Can't wait :)

20. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Unlucky with the HDD :duh: I await the pictures :naughty:

Last edited: 20 Jul 2004