1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Hummer PC UPdate (New article in Micro Computer in China)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Robster, 11 Dec 2003.

1. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

wow great idea here and cool project too , i m going to follow this log :thumb: :dremel:

2. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Yay i was looking at putting the rad in front but because of those stupid pipes on top i needed the thing to clear the hood and unfortunatly it was the only rad i had around at the time might have worked better with a different rad but have to save some money somewhere on this as it is on a budget.

3. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Well here is a little update on the progress i now have the powersupply in and have most of the base parts for this

Here is what i have so far
    [​IMG]

Here is where i need to put the powersupply should work will be tight though

[​IMG]

Yah it Fit was intersting

[​IMG]

Looks like i came from the store that way

[​IMG]

Sticks out the bottom a little but hey it works at least this way it gets a little air.

Well that is the powersupply next will be to try and get the motherboard tray in the back.

Last edited: 17 May 2004
  4. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Gonna leave the PSU in that big grey box?

Might save yourself some room if you take it out.

GREAT project btw :rock:

5. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Yah thought about taking it out but with the room that i have this works.

But because i still want to be able to drive this thing as a RC truck i fugured this would help to protect the powersupply as well.

I intend on painting it black like the lower part of the truck so should not be as noticeble and looking at changing the fan to a blue led will help with the lighting that i want to do.

These are just the perelimnary pics still a long ways to go yet on this thing.

6. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

wow looks pretty interesting so far.... im subscribed as well :)

thats some sweet rad placement.... and if you need to put the fan in front may i suggest not using an LED fan??? you may be looking to "rice" this thing out or whatever but if you were going for naturla or what i personally think would look better stick a plastic fan or something in there....

just my opinion though.... great job so far :)

7. JEEVES

JEEVES Minimodder

If this works out and you can still drive it then it would make the perfect lan pc (you should make a trailor for it that would drag a tft monitor). Then all you would have to do is set it on the ground and drive it to where ever you want to set it up. And i love where the radiator is, and i agree you should leave out the led fans (only do that if it was a civic :p ) but you should definatly put the power led in the head lights and hd led in the blinkers. well lookin good so far keep it up and cant wait to see the finished product.

Jeeves

8. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

this is gonna look schweeeeet!
    definately change the PSU fan to an LED one and itll look like the car has neons!.
    i am subscribed!

9. r3men4nt

r3men4nt What's a Dremel?

Hi, just posting to say man if you get this thing alltogether and working with WC'ing it. Damn that'd be aswesome. Also where are you from I think I've been to that cafe.

10. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Most likely you have been there. His location also is in Edmonton :D

11. QuickOrbit

QuickOrbit What's a Dremel?

This reminds me a lot of Project Avalanche over at [H]ard Fourms. I think that guy even used the same brand of car. He never finished it but had two very, very long threads about it.

Thread 1

Thread 2

Maybe you could get some ideas from those. Good luck with this, sounds like it is going to rock.

:thumb:

12. avsfan733

avsfan733 What's a Dremel?

with a wireless keyboard, mouse and one of those wireless video transmitters for sending media to your TV this thing would be wicked....hust need a place to stick a hell of a lot of batteries

13. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

He could make a trailor with a car battery sitting on it. Then use some 5v and 3.3v voltage regulators, therfore getting 12v, 5v, 3.3v. oh.. and -5v and -12v. That should power the computer for a while.
    We have one of those Canadian tire portable power supply things that has a car type battery in it. outputs max 400w @120V for a few hours. So excluding the step up would make it more efficient.

Looking good so far. A questions though... Is the psu fan on the bottom blowing or sucking? if sucking, then you should change it to blowing. That way you won't get quite as much dust, and the rad can have fresher air moving through it.

14. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Fan on powersupply will be blowing so will help to exhaust the air out of the case.

Yah gona do some ground effects lighting on this should look good i hope.

i will look into that powersource might add an extra touch to this project will have to see not sure how it will work as this thing is not that powerfull as an rc but might be able to pull a small trailer.

nice to see all the positive input on this makes it fun to do this.

15. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Actually almost forgot to post this update on the progress.

This was a little scary had to pretty much remove all the back of this thing to get the motherboard tray to fit now have to make all new platform for the motherboard but looks like it will work.

Maybe.

[​IMG]

Doesn't look very good right now but will take a little cleaning up is all

[​IMG]

Here is the tray that i will be using just need to cut it up now

[​IMG]

Well here it is all cut up hope it fits.

[​IMG]

looks like the tray will fit.

[​IMG]

Gona use the backing plate from the case that i got the powersupply from.

[​IMG]

looks cool just this way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Well looks like it will fit :hip:

well that is it for now will hopfully have this part done by the weekend will see how it goes have a bunch of stuff going on here this week but we will see.

16. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Nice... that r/c is bigger than I thought. Although, that weel well looks a bit iffy. Got any pics of the top and the bottom together? Or are you ready for it yet?

17. Bildonia

Bildonia What's a Dremel?

yes...you can really see the size of the car once you fit the mobo tray on it...thats gonna be a pretty beastly computer case...good luck with it!

18. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

Wel im new to these forums but I got a gr8 idea for you.
    Some one mentioned a portable lcd and that sparked up some ideas in my mind.
    Why dont you get a small sony psone lcd and gut it and place it as either the front or the back window of the rc and thus giving you a place to play visualisations. The lcd is 5 inch wide so it should fit in the back window on that thing.

19. Robster

Robster What's a Dremel?

Well been quiet here tonight so got a little more done now this is still rough so don't take it to much the way it is still have some finishing work to do.

Kind of working on stuff to make sure i can get it to fit then going to go back and do the detail work.

But got the mother board figured out anyways and managed to keep the suspension working may have actually liffted the truck a little will see later on into this project.

[​IMG]

Got the aluminum plate bent the way i needed. Ok i don't have fancy tools around here so the bends don't look great but hey gotta make due with what you have on hand at times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well manged to attach the tray i cut to the alluminum and will have space for the harddrive under here

[​IMG]

I still have to make the front supports for the tray but so far so good it is actually pretty stable the way it is.

[​IMG]
    Ok the monent of truth we mount the motherboard to the tray and see if this will fit in the truck and where there might be some problems

[​IMG]

Alright it fit not a lot of room left to play with but still workable looks like i will have to deal with the mouse and keyboard issue but seeing as it will be cordless this should not be a problem as it willl not have to be plugged and unplugged on a regular basis.

[​IMG]

Still anouther now have to start trimming the back plate to fit that is later.

[​IMG]

Here is a underside shot of the plate man i have to clean this up but no biggy still have to make new wheelwells for it and am going to do some new glass work under here maybe to make it look more like it came this way.

[​IMG]

Well here is the suspension llooks like it will still work no problem.

[​IMG]

Ok well that is it for now will still work on it over the weekend still have lots to try and fit together in this thing then the fun starts all the detail work.

20. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

Looks great dude...Like what you have done.... Lets hope it can take a few bumps :D