1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Laika

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MLyons, 10 Jun 2020.

1. MLyons

MLyons Half dev, Half doge. Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Laika - The first doge in space

After my first mod being a scratch build I've decided to bring it back a tad and go with a case mod this time. I'll be using a Shuttle SG41J1 Plus for the base of the case after we found it in the office during a clear out. Stock it comes with a custom form factor motherboard and PSU but it does have ITX standoffs and room for a SFX PSU once you go from the long custom form factor to ITX.

There's room for a Full length custom GPU but from stock the case would need a lot of ventilation drilled into the side so I'm going to watercool it instead. There will be 1 240mm radiator in the top of the case and another in the side. The side will be intake and the top will be exhaust. I'm also going to swap the built in rear fan for a noctua and try to fit another 120mm or 92mm in the front.

The hardware will hopefully be a Nvidia ____TI/AMD ____XT and a AMD ____X. All depends on if anyone sends anything over. pls send free hardware.

First update to come tomorrow but for now here is a picture of the Corsair donor case I used for parts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Jun 2020
    Canardwc likes this.
  2. Canardwc

Canardwc @French_fab_factorie

Itx you said ? I already like it ! :clap:

Arboreal likes this.
  3. censored_Prometheus_

censored_Prometheus_ Active Member

layka.jpg
    In the USSR there were such cigarettes.

Arboreal likes this.
  4. MLyons

So these are some old images that I previously posted in the discord but I want everyone up to speed before I start doing the major work. The two images are how we found the machine in the cupboard.

IMG_20200515_115622 (1).jpg

IMG_20200515_115628 (1).jpg

It was super dusty and had a lot of useless cabling and parts. Mainly for the optional disk drive and I believe 3.5" HDD. In this next image you can see the custom (?) PSU which I'll be replacing with a SFX PSU at the front and using the space for the side 240mm rad.

IMG_20200515_120005 (1).jpg

Now you're probably thinking, "hang on a minute, where does the SFX PSU fit?". Well when you remove all the junk and swap in an ITX board there's plenty of room.

IMG_20200518_155530 (1).jpg

So the main parts of the build will all fit and I could fairly easily make it air cooled. The issue is I want a top end GPU and CPU, The CPU would be fine with a big ol' Noctua but the GPU would sit up against the steel casing. I could cut some holes and add some mesh but that wouldn't be as fun and I think I can get it quieter with 2 x 240mm rads. The next part will be me marking up where the dremel will be used :dremel:

Last edited: 11 Jun 2020
    Jean R built likes this.
  5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

Woooo!!!! Dremel destruction! :dremel::dremel::dremel::rock::rock::rock:

6. AllXFrag

AllXFrag New Member

Whoooo let the doge... Touch the dremel?

Joke aside, looking forward to see this evolve!

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Doge build! Dell and Gigabyte jumped on that PSU form factor to use in their optiplex-size desktops. I kept one for a more compact version of my 'connector s.lut' tester.
    -Are you building a sff rig or a tank?

8. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Active Member

Two gold fish are in a tank. The first one turns to the other and says, "I'll drive, you man the gun."
    Sorry, Cheapskate's tank comment reminded me of it.

9. MLyons

I've got a feeling it's going to be very heavy and dense like my current one. Not sure how many litres but I think it's "officially" ITX. The smallest 240mm rad is 285mm and the case is 290mmish in length. It's a close one. That's without accounting for where on earth the res and PSU wiring will go

Arboreal likes this.