1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project "Lightning" + Transforming racing SIM Desk

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by m.standish, 31 Jul 2014.

1. m.standish

m.standish What's a Dremel?

Ive been away for a while but im back. Ive had another blast at it lately and thought id update the log

Finally got to but the 2 screens for eyefinity, theyre at the GF's at the moment so please be gentle with the setup, its not ideal but ii need to build a triple stand before they can go home lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Managed to get all 3 running at 96hz using an accell Displayport > DL DVI active adapter and one of the new screens runs to 123hz so im happy with that. I can either eyefinity at 96hz or single screen at 123hz

I am planning to debezel the screens and build a stand that will allow the middle screen to overlap the edge screens so i only have one bezel width between them the panels are slim enough to pull this off but im still in the process of planing the stand so watch this space

Last edited: 24 Jun 2015
  2. m.standish

There has been some more updates on the internals of the PC.

I have added the light strips between the GPUS
    Sadly i havnt progressed the sleeving :(
    [​IMG]

I mounted LEDS under the CPU retention arms and also SMD leds to the edge of the CPU top.
    And bought some Upgraded the ram 8gb 1333 to Avexir 1600mhz 1600 (oc'ed to 2000)
    Still with the Bitefenix fans as of last week
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bad picture im afraid, the blue hue isnt like that IRL

3. m.standish

Fan Upgrade

I saw the thermaltake Riing fans on "deskbuild lost" and i couldnt help myself... 24 hours later they made their way into Lightning. Very fitting if i do say, Theyre Static Pressure fans where the bitfenix wernt meaning theyre also 5 degrees cooler temps, sadly not PWM so im going to need to track down a suitable fan controller.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. m.standish

And the latest up to date glamour shots :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. m.standish

WOW

It looks like Corsair rather like my mod, really blown away with their comment and that they saw it it enough to repost :jawdrop: Means a lot guys!!!

"It might void the warranty, but this is one of the slickest SSD mods we've ever seen. Great work, Mark Standish! ‪#‎DIY‬ ‪#‎Corsair‬" :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

[​IMG]

6. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

fantastic work mate, & your just up the road from me :)
    Hudders

7. m.standish

8. m.standish

Fantastic! Gigabyte like it too. :)

Thanks for the share Gigabyte

[​IMG][/IMG]

9. m.standish

Thanks for the share AMD and thanks for making enough gpu power to fill 11m pixels :) Like the wordplay, wish i had thought of it :p

[​IMG]

10. Cloudisfast

Cloudisfast What's a Dremel?

I always feel very jealous when I see custom builds like this because I could never do them myself.

But great work on the case, it does look really cool

11. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Those TT fans suit the colour of this build really well. nice work.

12. m.standish

Thanks for the comments guys. It really does mean a lot

Im back from holiday now so I have some time & £ to invest to improve it now.

Ive got a few deliveries due and planned so watch this space, Its not going to be anything amazing im afraid but a few niggly bits and pieces that i want to get polished off. Theres some water cooling areas i want to change and add to, switch to hardline and get the cabling finished, i am toying with the lighting ideas too at the moment. Along with hopefully increasing the rad space as the water is at its capacity

I have a very smart fan controller in hand now and im still in the planning stage with this. More to come soon :)

13. m.standish

The parcels have started arriving so heres a sneak peek :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG] - Good diamensions in there :)

Theres a very interesting delivery coming from china which im really looking forward to with allsorts of goodies in, sadly its likely to take a few weeks :( so ill need to find things to do while im waiting for that as ill need to do a full bleed and refill once it appears, Maybe its time to do the wiring sleeving thats been annoying me for so long and maybe something different on the psu side :)

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'm late to the party, but I do like the SSD mod - the idea as much as the mod itself!

15. m.standish

Going portable

Little update but oh my god what a difference! i had no idea how much this would help!! Time to reveal the the little black box Firstly, These went [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Few holes drilled, and say hello to the new additions
    [​IMG]

Please excuse the wiring, its on my to do list.... but not till the chinese deliverys arrive :) 2 down:
    [​IMG]

4 Down
    [​IMG]

And its ready for a drive :)
    [​IMG]

I appreciate in normal use this wouldnt normally be much use but as its currently living at the GFs under a table and im actively upgrading it then these should prove a godsend being able to roll 25kg is a damn sight easier than shuffling it across carpet, It also gives me another 50mm height which will prove usefull further down the line ;)

16. m.standish

Fan Control & Tidying

Introducing the new fan controller - mcubed t-balancer BIGNG
    Ive wanted one of these for years and ive now gotten to the point where i actually need to use one. I just about had control with the last fans (PWM) using speedfan but now im on the Riing fans i needed a better soloution
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has 4x channels. I currently have 10 fans and a pump :/ Maths dont work quite right here.
    I would have preferred not to splice the Riing fan wires and thankfully Thermaltake provided a power reduction cable in each of the boxes which I could chop up without cutting up the fain fan wire :) So i decided on splitting it using

CH1 - Pump
    CH2 - 360 Rad Fans
    CH3 - 240 Rad Fans
    CH4 - 140 Rad Fans
    and the rear 140 fan controlled but the motherboard

Time to make a 1 to 3 way and a 1 to 4 way adapater::

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finnished :) and no fans were hurt in the fiming

[​IMG]

I mounted the fan controller last night, I struggled with where to mount it as i dont have much space and thought it may have to be the roof but in a flash of complete luck it turns out that the screw distance for the CPU is almost exactly the same as the T-Balancer mounting holes
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perfect, Little bit of drilling out the PCB to take the thicker screws
    [​IMG]

A this point i decided i didnt like the Green PCB as it dosent fit with the theme at all so I decided to cover it, along with the HDD & DVD drive

[​IMG]

Theyres still quite a bit of work to do around this side of the case but im waiting of parts so thats as far as i get for now. Im hoping to get it as clean as the front with a similar setup

17. m.standish

CPU BOOST!

When i initially planned the build path for this I sectioned it into 6 distinct blocks, Mainly to section off the cost into equalish manageable chunks and as a plan so the upgrades wern't wasted. eg, there was no point buying 3 screens until i had the gpu to utilize them ect. and psu needed to be done before gpus ect
    They were:

- Base Unit - as in the main basic machine (1 gpu and low end spec, 3820 & 8gb)
    - 1440p (FIRST SCREEN)
    - PSU Boost
    - GPU boost - (the 2nd & 3rd gpus)
    - Surround Screens
    - Perfomance Boost (CPU & RAM)

Ive kept this pretty much to plan, theres been a couple of deviations where 2 gpus were bought when i only had planned on 1 at a time but a offer i couldnt refuse appeared and a similar plan with the ram which wasnt meant to be until the end.

I have just sold the i7-3820 for a price im rather happy with and this means I can finally say, Im about to finnish the 6th and final major component. The CPU, Watch this space :)

Slight issue is that i sold the chip thats in my machine so no more gaming for a bit until it gets a suitable replacement.

18. m.standish

Good news........ Another parcel has arrived, sadly this will have to wait till the china deliverys arrive as they go together [​IMG]
    Prizes for guessing what it is :)

Bad news....... A fledgeling swallow appeared in our porch last night, we tried to help him but he wasnt quite flying fully yet, Sadly without his mother and the nest he didnt make it through the night. :(

Middling news... The CPU may take a little while longer than i hoped but hopefully soon!

19. m.standish

Thats another order submitted to china so im now waiting on 5 seperate parcels and about £125 worth until i can strip and rebuild, Theres at least 3 more that i need to add so this may take a while but it will be worth it :) C'mon postie

20. m.standish

Ive been doing some thinking and along with a shortage of space now in the main area and being unable to fulfil one of my aims for this build, I want to do something that will test me, im trying to design something special for the rear of the motherboard compartment, something i has planned previously but now hope to revisit. Ill post more when i have some more plans, its going take a lot of planning :)

In other news, Im hoping there may be some more exciting news on the horizon, that's currently being discussed and i'm really hoping it comes to something but if it happens will mean something fantastic for the build.... Fingers crossed :)