1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project : Little Boy *Small Update 09/16*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cecil-San, 6 Feb 2004.

1. r-gator

r-gator What's a Dremel?

Aren't you a touch concerned about the EMI that's going to be put off by those fans? They don't really look all that shielded and it could affect the performance of your components.

2. Zogthetroll

Zogthetroll What's a Dremel?

oh, just a thought, some sort of ram-air style intake on the front would look awesome and keep with the jet theme, dunno what you've got planned though.

3. dirtbiker

dirtbiker What's a Dremel?

Looks crazy, where did those fans come from?!

Subscribed, just cos your'e nuts... :D

4. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed a pair of those! Don't know why, but I do :D

Looks interesting to say the least :thumb:

5. Providence

Providence What's a Dremel?

Yeah, to say the LEAST indeed. I read an article about putting 2 fans on top of one another and it actually decreased performance. I can't remember why, but it was a matter of like 2 degrees C. I read the name of the project and I was thinking...Little...so this is going to be an ITX and very very small. Not like there's already 100 of those.

Then I saw the fans... :waah: It makes me cry like a little girl

6. Incorpirate

Incorpirate What's a Dremel?

ooo sounds cool and v.orginal

7. Cecil-San

Cecil-San What's a Dremel?

Wow...hehe..Thanks alot for the input guys...now it seems I have some questions to answer...

No, not really worried about noise..actually..the more the better.. may not make me many friends at LAN's but...hey..they shouldn't sit so close :D

No written guide..I just started w/ 320 grit and wet sanded while moving up the line...400,600,800,1500,2000 and finished w/ a rubbing compound and polish..its not perfect..but after 10+ hours of hand sanding...I'm happy w/ it

[​IMG]
    I haven't attached it to the case yet...but heres a pic. w/ it suspended via a coat hanger while I take the picture...I will make a cut in the case to allow access to the panels...will also "cap" off either end of panels w/ more plexiglass and paint it black except for the areas where the backlight will show through

Not at all really....back a couple years ago my brother always had heating problems at our LAN's..so in order to fix the problem at the time...we'd put an oscillating fan up against his case w/ the panel off and it would cool it down right away..never did anything to his comp so I doubt it will do much to mine...(least I hope not...lol) :worried:

[​IMG]
    Thier Patton fans...known to last a long time and push a ton of air..took me a long while to find them..seeing as how I started this in Oct. '03 after all the local shops had gotten rid of thier summer fan stock (cause of course no one but me wants a fan in fall/winter) I wanted the aluminum (not that plastic crap) and 14"...found a ton of 16" - 24" but I didn't wnat to cut the blades...
    But these were just what I wanted...

I wanted to stay away from making it small...not quite as fun if you shrink everything to make it fit... :D although I don't think 3ft is as big now that I've gotten alot of things in there..I'm running out of room quick...I have more appreciation for the biege box design..I applaude whoever initially came up w/ that placement scheme..
    And yes, if you put 2 fans very close together...they will fight each other..but I've run both of them and they seem to work together very well...unfortunatly unlike a turbine...my intake fan is actually the rear fan...reason being is the motor is too simple to allow you to reverse the power..if you turn the blades around...it cuts airflow to about 5% cause its going against the "grain", and I dont want the front of the case to show the rear of the fan...

Thanks alot for the input guys! Keep it up..I'll try to keep ya updated and answer any questions...this forum has been a great inspiration and help! MOD ON!

- Cecil-San

8. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Just be careful to mount everything securely.

You: "Hmmm... my puter jsut turned off and little bits of green stuff are coming out the front of my case"

9. Cecil-San

Haha...yea...after every mount of an object...my test is to 1st leave it sitting upright the entire night..then I grab it and shake it all to hell and try to pinpoint any rattling...lol

- Cecil-San

10. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

So are you just going to cut out a door in the cylinder and attach a hinge so you can access the control panel?

11. r3men4nt

r3men4nt What's a Dremel?

Man I can not wait to see how this turns out.

12. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Even better, not only do you coo your computer but place it right and you'll
    never overheat at LANs :thumb:

Considering the probable noise level though, you won't have a chance to overheat - as soon as you flick the switch, your computer will become airborne (assisted by many willing pairs of hands) and fly out of the room :lol:

13. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

i live in a small town and have never been to a lan but dont people normally wear headphones, 30 computers w/ guns blazing is lot of noise besides hosehold fans wont make to much noise, its just a deeper sound than that of a puter fan, o and btw i have 3 fans stacked ontop of each other for my cpu fan and it triples the airflow with no noise increese so he should have no problem, but might want to consider some sound dampening products as the tube will reverberate more than a normal one :geek:

14. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

oooo i have an idea, drill out thoses rivents on the fan blades and polish them with the same method as the psu, rivet guns are not expensive

15. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Yes... why remove rivets and put new ones in? Are the current rivets not strong enough to hold it?

I doubt this, you should do some research and learn how aerodynamics work.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no aeronautical engineer, but I believe adding fans increases air pressure and noise, not airflow.

16. NissanFrontier

NissanFrontier What's a Dremel?

MAN! Those are some huge computer fans. I'm like ocedamd@3000+ polishing those fan blades would be awesome. I live close to Langley Air Force Base which is one of the biggest Air Force base in the US. F-15 Eagles fly over my house in 2's atleast once a day. Let's just hope this won't be as loud as the F-15s because they are LOUD sometimes they will rattle the walls of my house. I don't mind it though because I really like jets and stuff. I want to join the Air Force, to be either a Pilot or a Computer Programmer(If I can't pass Pilot Training). What kind of grill are you going to use on the front and back if any? What would be cool is to run wires and stuff on the outside to make it look like a Jet Engine THAT WOULD ROCK :rock:.

.:Edit:. I just thought of something. Wasn't one of the Atomic bombs dropped on Japan in WWII named Little Boy? Just wondering if this is some kind of sign of whats ahead?

17. Altron

Altron Minimodder

:duh:

Just understood the comment about polisihng the blades. I had thought you meant to pop out the rivets and put new rivets in and polish the rivets :lol: but you mean unrivet them, polish them, and rivet them back together.

:duh:

And yes, NissanFrontier, it was the Little Boy and Fat Man.

Forget which went with which city, although I do know how they work.

With little boy there was a big chunk of uranium on the tip, packed with all sorts of fun explosives. I think then a chunk of uranium in the back of the bomb went foreward and hit the big chunk in the front. this brought it to supercritical mass, making a big *BOOM*

It was actualyl set to explode in midair, before hititng the ground, to maximize damage.

In Fat Man it was a few chunks of uranium arranged in a sphere, when the detonator went off they all flew towards the middle, again going supercritical mass and blowing up the TNT pakced around them and spewing nuclear fire over everything.

18. Cecil-San

Hehe...well...it is pretty noisy at bigger LAN's (100+ ppl) but bear in mind, even w/ headphones, noise does filter through...and while I don't mind the noise, the guy next to me might not.....And these are pretty loud...I was suprised...I turned on just 1 of them and walked to the next room in my apartment and it sounded just like it did when I was in the same room! :D

Naw..no need to unrivet (that a word!?) them...I'll just polish them as is...isn't hard to get around stuff and into tight areas when your sanding by hand...just have to take your time...

I'm trying to keep the outside of it as clean as possible..actually, the whole thing as clean as possible...(meaning wires running along the edges, none hanging down over things...making wires exact in length..so not to have excess)
    As for grills...on the back I will "cap" off the end...except for a med hole in the middle (for intake of air of course) which will be covered in modders mesh to prevent items from going through...
    But....on the front...I'm going to use either fiberglass or bondo (depends on which is the easiest to work w/) and curve it in..like a real turbine does..which..if I do that...I'll have to leave the front open, w/o a grill...may or maynot be a good idea...although...anyone stupid enough to stick something in there deserves what happens... :nono:

I may or maynot encorporate the atomic portion of Little Boy into the paint scheme...what I was going for on that was a sort of WWII bomber art the side...pinup girl and all...haven't got a set scheme yet...and once I get all the "real" screws in place and everthing mounted..I'll add the "fake" screw heads to give it a riveted engine style..

- Cecil-San

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I planned to do kind of that case too.. I'd use "only" 30W fans... those'd be 170mm diameter, so some uATX/ITX-mobo..

20. Cecil-San

Very quick update...

Finished putting in all the switches into the control panel (save for the hub couplers and misc leds) tonight...

[​IMG]

Still need to paint the panel and attach it too the case...but its been cold out lately and I haven't had time to paint...

Enjoy!

- Cecil-San