1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Metaversa: LCD goodness (small update 17/07/05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nexxo, 11 Apr 2003.

1. Turbokeu

Turbokeu Minimodder

I know that too...

I started my watercooled PC-70 project back in June 2001.
    It's still not finished, almost every day I have new ideas on how to make it better performing, better looking, better executed...
    My goal is not to finish and use it ASAP, my goal is to plan it, to make it, to try it, to start certain ideas all over again when they do not satisfy.

The day my project will be really finished it will probably end in the show room of my company, but anyway I will not use it (I use a laptop for every day's computer work).
    And then I will be looking forward to a new project...

Sure it is...:D

CD :)

2. Altron

Altron Minimodder

What's the fun in finishing it? The process is what's fun about modding, making grand plans and seeing them come together. Not looking at a finished box. The only reason to finish a mod is because you want to start a new one.

3. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I've personally been planning/designing/mocking up a mod for about 8months now, I'm only just starting to build. I'll probally have enjoyed the planning more than I will have building it.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I like that attitude! :D :rock:

Anyway, Turbokue, I've seen your case before on Overclex.com, I believe? You must put it in the gallery here! It is pure class. I did not know it was yours at the time, must admit it has been a source of inspiration for me in terms of thinking outside the box about design, and the quality of work I wanted to achieve. Keep the goodness coming.

5. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Mind posting a link to that case? Sounds interesting. Unfourtunately for me, I don't know how to read french and was unable to locate it at overclex.com

6. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

what are you using to polish your things?

7. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

I'd imagine he's using Brasso.

8. Turbokeu

Turbokeu Minimodder

Thanks Nexxo, it's good to hear those words coming from you.
    Busy with a lot of things at the same time on my project, but unfortunately I don't have much time left over with my company...

I remember posting some pics at Overclex but I'm not a regular visitor overthere.
    I'm mostly active at Procooling, Overclockers.com and Overclockers Australia (OCAU) (and Bit-tech.net recently :D ).

Most pics can be found on my website (www.turbokeu.com) but I have to admit that a lot of updates are waiting since weeks to be put on the site.
    I hope to add some tens of pics with comments in the next few days...

Keep up the good work! :thumb:

9. magicpixel

magicpixel What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: Man this is looking SOOOoooo sweet!! :thumb:

If mine turns out even half as good as yours I'll be jumping with joy!

Mod on!!!
    Cheers,
    Chris.

10. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Nice job, Nexxo :D When you upgrade your hardware, what do you plan on doing with the board and Dual CPUs? I would LOVE to have them, considering that only one good PC exists in this house and there is demand for three :duh:

11. Chrizzle

Chrizzle What's a Dremel?

Finally caught up with this thread. It's the exact opposite of what I'm planning right now but it's awesome! The amount of detail is really inspiring. It all looks factory-quality but original, like the next generation of Lian Li or something. So cool.

12. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

@ Nexxo: When can we expect an update?

13. Shikamaru

Shikamaru What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Just saw this up on bsodmike's page. He says it's gonna be DHLed to Nexxo tomorrow after he emails him his tel number...

Wooo can't wait for an update Nexxo!!!

:clap:

edit: Personally I prefer this to Orac any day. This is far more a work of art and Nexxo has been taking alot of pain getting everything perfected. I remember when I first saw Nexxo post about his custom BIX bracket - it was then I became an instant fan....

Nexxo uses the chrome to highlight parts of his case unlike Orac which kinda drowns you in green....

Take your time Rob and I'm sure this will be a beaut :D

14. Nexxo

All this praise is too much honour... I hope to have an update next weekend but I'm just waiting for a few parts to assemble bracket v.2... And as I tinker of course I've come up with some new ideas. Turbokeu mentioned the SF800 Flow sensor (I looked at your site again --BIG mistake! Again I am tweaking my designs... :sigh: ) and as it has the same mounting thread as the flow switch, and a low pressure drop, I am wondering whether I can use it with Divine Protection as a flow switch, and connect it to a mobo fan sensor so that MBM 5 can report the actual litres per minute flow (you can configure MBM to output a number which is a multiplication or division of fan rpm. the flow sensor puts out 100Hz per ltr./m --e.g. 5 ltr./m is 500Hz. So all I have to do is get it to report "rpm" divided by 100 to get ltr./m). Meanwhile I am exploring ways of integrating coolant temp sensors into MBM.

Bsodmike has aced the PCB --it looks even better than the first design!

The polishing is achieved with Peek Stainless Steel polish, and Silvo (son of Brasso). For those who really like their shine, visit English Custom Polishing.

15. Turbokeu

Turbokeu Minimodder

Unfortunately MBM doesn't allow for 1/100 divider, only up to 1/10.
    This would give a readout in CL (centiliter), ex. 500Hz = 5.00 LPM = 50.0 CL/min.

If your mobo is one of the few that have a temperature sensor input for the PSU (as does my Asus A7V333, PWR_TMP sensor input) only a 10K NTC resistor in the WC loop is needed (and some calibration in MBM).

16. Nexxo

Thanks for that. I'm not sure but I think that the OSD bit of MBM allows you to display values which are outcomes of formulas that you define in the OSD code file (works a bit like Coolmon or Samurize), but I may be wrong, i which case I'll go for the CL option. :D The K-7D Master-L has no PSU temp input connector. It does appear to have a PSU fan connection only. It doesn't have an SMBus connector either (aw, come on!). However, SMBus functions can be reached via an empty memory module slot. Starbuck3733T may (at my suggestion) make a DIMM-shaped PCB with a MAX1668 chip on it, which would allow me to hook up to four temp sensors to the mobo! Nice for those of us whose mobo doesn't have an SMBus connector. :D

I talked to bsodmike who says that provided I bridge the signal with a cap, I can use the flow sensor for MBM and use it as a flow switch with Divine Protection. Result! I see another modification coming on...

17. Caffeind

Caffeind What's a Dremel?

nice to see another interesting mod...

i must say just amasing work here... im really impressed...

it will be interesting to see how the bad boy bears up against the elements...

(be sure to do some 3dmark and fps tests when finished ^^)

caff.

18. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

You're still an inspiration Nexxo :) I totally understand where you are coming from with how long a project takes when you have other commitments, having been in that situation myself the last few months. Even if you never finished, the work you have done and your stream of ideas stand alone. Good to see you back.

:dremel: <---- (go on, you know you want to...)

19. Nexxo

Well, it's sort of update time. I'm sorry that I haven't been able to show gee-whiz bang stuff, but the boring details need sorting out too... such as wiring. Good, clean wiring matters. A lot. So I spent a lot of time thinking about it. Below are my first test fits:

[​IMG]

Note how nothing obscures the mobo, or blocks the flow.
    Getting the Drive array done was tricky, but it seems to fit:

[​IMG]

...and so does the supply to the GPU and Firewire card, and the USB headers for the front of the case. Note that I will, of course, be braiding the power cables! :D

[​IMG]

In the above pics you still see the old pump bracket, by the way. I had a new one made for the new pump, but I'm not happy with the result, so I'm doing another with a slightly modified design. It looks way better than the original, trust me...

The new pump has been "barbed":

[​IMG]

Originally it does not come with a retention bracket. "Klip-It" 50mm pipe clamps (and RS Online) to the rescue:

[​IMG]

Only a couple of quid for two.

Here padded:

[​IMG]

And here holding the pump:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's Divine Protection istalled under the top drive cage:

[​IMG]

And here, just for gratuity, proof that the whole WC loop can be removed from the PC in one piece: :D

[​IMG]

Steaming ahead now. More updates soon!

20. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

Looks great. I like how organized you keep everything. Keep up your good work.