1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Modu-Li

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by shplade, 15 Feb 2006.

1. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

Updated, and as always comment/input is appreciated.

2. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

I did a bit of sleeving tonight.

I've done the 2x 80mm intakes and the 2x 80mm rear exhausts. I took some pictures during the process of sleeving the front fans.

I started out with these:

[​IMG]

The first step was to depin the 3 pin plugs from each of the two fans by using a small flathead screwdriver:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heatshrink was applied to the individual fans:

[​IMG]

Then both sets of wires were sleeved together into one bundle, heatshrink was applied to the ends, and the 3 pin plugs reattached.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Similar steps were taken for the rear exhaust fans to end up with this:

[​IMG]

The wires run through a hole I drilled in the side of the I/O area to the rear of the motherboard tray.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also sleeved the serial cable which runs from the motherboard I/O area, behind the mobo and to the 3 1/2 inch bays. I only sleeved half the ribbon cable as the majority of it will be hidden behind the mobo.

[​IMG]

I ran some load tests on to stress my videocard and the highest temp it reached was 56 :)

That's it for tonight, I'm home all day tomorrow so expect some sort of update.

3. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

Looking really good. Your inspiring me to finish my lianli! I had similar idea's and it's nice to see them fleshed out...

4. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

Update for todays work.

The first thing I did was mounted the supports for the case floor so that they aren't sliding around anymore, here you can see them.

[​IMG]

The floor sits ontop, but doesn't need to be screwed down as it is a push tight fit.

I continued with wiring today, the main focus was on getting power to the fans. The only thing worthy of pictures was the front fan wire routing. I needed to get the fan wires to the rheobus in the bottom 5 1/4 inch bay, the most obvious and easy solution is to run them straight to the bay, but that's showing the wires unnecessarily, so I attempted to hide them somewhat.

So I tried running them through the bottom of the bottom bay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wasn't happy with it, the wires still looked out of place, so instead I ran them out the front of the chassis:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Better.

I sleeved the front panel USB wires like so:

[​IMG]

The dodgy ends of the sleeving need a trim (and will get one) but it wouldn't matter if I didn't because they're hidden by the floor:

[​IMG]

OK, I realised today that alot of the work I've done lately has been pretty boring, so I took the time to work on something a bit more exciting for you guys ;)

[​IMG]

This is only a preview, and will look much cleaner when I'm done with it.

5. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

What do you guys reckon of this? (not finished, still need to add the last two rings)

6. Klekkus

Klekkus What's a Dremel?

Nice fan controler ;)

7. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

I did some more work on the rheobus today, and unfortunately cut my finger while drilling the new bay cover (drill caught in it, the metal whipped around and took a slice from my index finger). I do have pics for you though ;)

I needed to attach the aluminium 'rings' onto the frosted perspex but didn't have any araldite left, so I used AS thermal epoxy >.>

[​IMG]

There they are all clamped up drying. A few hours later I took the clamps off and tested it out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both red and blue are much more vibrant in real life, I need to learn to take photos of lighting.

Finally installed in the cas:

[​IMG]

This is the point where I owned my finger, so didn't bother doing anymore. I was working on a new bay cover to replace the current one as atm it allows the LEDs to be seen even though they're behind the 'rings'. More on that later in the week.

8. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

Thanks, here's another:

[​IMG]

9. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

I didn't realise it'd been 3 weeks since my last update, sorry =\

You wont be happy then to hear that I haven't got 3 weeks worth of updates >.>

I was working pretty full on with this project when I began posting pics of it, but I needed a bit of a break. I've been keeping busy with uni and life in general, but this weekend I had some time to mod!

I stopped working on Modu-Li after I sliced my finger open while drilling the rheobus faceplate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks alot better than it felt, basically that flap of skin was only just hanging on :\

Anyway...

I started with the floor, there were some areas that needed cleaning up and some notches had to be removed to allow the side panel to fit. I'm still working on it so it hasn't been polished yet.

[​IMG]

I think earlier in the log I might have said something about backlighting the logo with some frosted perspex? Well anyway, I gave that a go today, with pleasing results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wired up some LEDs to go with the perspex.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guess what colour they are?

[​IMG]

Blue! :p

I still have to do the other section of the logo (and LEDs).

Remember this?

[​IMG]

Well I wasn't happy with it. Too big, too ugly. So I took to it with a hacksaw, and now the card fits in a single PCI slot, and the base actually matches the chip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Better!

One problem I always faced was how I could connect a SATA power plug to a wiring loom to run down the powerpole. Finding a SATA power socket wasn't easy, the only real option was to find a dead drive and rip one off, which I wasn't going to do. What I decided on was getting a 5+ pin plug and two matching 5+ pin sockets. The stock SATA power plugs on the PSU will be cut off, leaving about 20-30cm of wire running out of the PSU. Connected to the wires will be the 5+ pin plug. One socket will be attached to the stock SATA power plugs, and the other to the power pole loom, such that I can alternate between the two (eg. if I wanted to remove the PSU and use it in another system).

[​IMG]

Imagine the PSU is on the left, it connects to the plug, which connects to the socket, which connects to the terminal block, which connectes to the drives.

I made a new powerpole, its not entirely finished as I haven't cut out holes for the wires to exit into the case (to the floppy bay and GPU).

This is the (partial - still more to come :p) mess that the powerpole hides.

[​IMG]

And here is what said mess looks like when its inside the powerpole.

[​IMG]

Neat eh?

Finally here you can see the number of wires under the HDD rack is steadily growing.

[​IMG]

10. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

Updated, sorry for being so slack :\

11. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

OK I've had a few questions about the powerpole, and instead of addressing them all individually I'll just explain them all in as an update.

The powerpole is constructed of two (well, three if you want to be technical) pieces of aluminium; a U shaped piece and a L shaped piece.

[​IMG]

Those are the two main pieces. They slot together to create a square tube with one double layered side. The 'bottom' of the U piece faces the rear of the case, and the L piece slides in from the right (motherboard) side of the case.

At the top of the pole is a third piece, which serves as a retainer for the wires when the L piece (I'll call it the cover from now on, as that is its purpose) is taken off.

Top of the powerpole with retainerand cover removed. Note the orientation of the U piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A front shot showing the wires running down inside the U piece.

[​IMG]

There's a small slot at the base of the cover for wires to exit into the case floor.

[​IMG]

With the cover on the wires are completely enclosed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you want to route power out to something in the case just cut/drill a hole for the wires to pass through the left side (the side that faces the main case window) of the U piece, grommets help to make it look a bit tidier.

I hope that covers it, if you have any questions don't be afraid to ask.

12. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

I'm just wondering what the point is in having a heatsink on a soundcard, as far as I've ever known they don't even get relatively hot.

13. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

14. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

On friday afternoon we had some bad weather, and at one point there was a lightning strike very close to my home. We had a nice power surge but my computer continued running fine. I turned it off regardless, I didn't want it to die. The surge must have damaged something though as now neither my CPU nor mobo function at all.

The timing was interesting though as I ordered my new laptop (ASUS A6Ja) earlier that afternoon. So I'm typing to this on the lappy now :)

Specs:

Intel Core Duo T2400 (1.83GHz)
    Mobility Radeon X1600 256MB
    1GB DDR2
    100GB HDD
    15.4" TFT

:D

I'm really happy with it, the X1600 runs about the same as my 6800nu did at stock settings. It handles FEAR, Quake 4, Far Cry, HL2, CS:S, NFSMW, and WoW with ease, mostly at 1024x768 (or 1280x800 if its supported) with medium -> high detail.

So yeah, I'm looking at getting a ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 (socket 939, AGP and PCI-E, 2x SATA, 1x SATA2) and an A64 3000+ venice to replace the dead parts, though I'm not sure when I'll get them. They work out to be $285 AUD so not bad really.

The modding wont stop, I'll make sure I do some work over the next week and do a big update on the weekend.

15. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

I'm back!

I've been busy with uni over the past few weeks, so haven't done anything up until today.

Seeing as I'm not currently using my old components, and I have a different system (laptop) to use while I mod, I can get onto things like the PSU and hardware mods that would otherwise result in downtime. All my working parts (RAM is still untested - hope to god it works) are in the box my PC60 came in, filling about half the box. I feel bad that I have $1000+ of hardware doing nothing :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On to the update.

First thing I did was cut one of the SATA power looms off my PSU and then soldered the pins of the 6-pin socket onto each of the wires.

[​IMG]

Then the socket goes on

[​IMG]

I did the same thing for the 6-pin plug which connects to the HDD wiring loom at the top of the power pole. Then 6-pin socket/plugs click together, and its all done.

[​IMG]

The only other loom I need to run down the powerpole is power for the videocard, which is a single molex plug. On that note, a benefit of the powerpole is that if I ever need different/extra power connectors its easy to remove any looms that I don't use anymore, and replace with ones that I do need. For example, if I want to use PCI-E videocards in the future then I can add in the relevant power loom(s).

Another thing I did today was cut the CCFL 'covers' to size from a length of U tube aluminium. One runs up the back-left corner of the case, and the other along the left side of the case floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing I haven't ever thought about modding is the removable HDD rack which mounts in the bottom of the case. It looks fairly boring IMO:

[​IMG]

I'll think of something to do to it, ideas are welcome :)

I also cut one side of the window tonight, and have made a mental agreement with myself to finish one side per day.

Expect more over the next week as I'm on holidays.

16. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

I spent most of my holiday sleeping :p

A few updates ago I showed you this:

[​IMG]

I wanted to see what the floor would look like with mesh between it and the frosted perspex:

[​IMG]

What do you think?

I mounted a section of U channel aluminium on the 'front' (the side closest to the left side of the case) of the case floor which will house an 8 inch blue CCFL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It also acts as a nice handle when inserting and removing the case floor. On that note, this is how it goes in and out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the left front corner of the floor (or rear left corner of the case) is a small square gap in the floor.

[​IMG]

Another piece of U channel aluminium fits inside this hole.

[​IMG]

Moving up the piece to the top of the case, you can see I cut off two sides of the U channel to leave a single flat section.

[​IMG]

Swinging the U channel towards the case into an upright position, the flat section slips through a small gap between the top panel and the case chassis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once through the gap a single screw through the flat section and into the case chassis holds the U channel firmly in place. This rear piece will hold one of the 12 inch blue CCFLs.

The removable HDD rack still fits as usual, sliding in from the side as such:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the following picture note the area to the left of the fans. This area is where I want to route the power/reset button wires, but I don't want them visible.

[​IMG]

I wanted to put a section of U channel in there but the fans where in the way, so I had to cut a section out:

[​IMG]

Now it slips in place:

[​IMG]

I'm going to a lan over the next two days, then I go back to uni on monday, and my sister is coming up to visit from monday till friday so I may not have any work done till next weekend.

17. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

Sorry about not updating last week. I did do some work but I'm going to save it for a while before I update.

Over the next week or two I'll have alot of new gear (some of it is already here) to play with which will no doubt keep me busy. All of the work involving said gear will be on the removable motherboard tray, and lets just say its going to be an interesting ordeal fitting everything on there :p

Defyant may have some idea what I'm talking about as I did ask him about a similar thing a few months ago (def - if you do remember don't go telling everyone!) :p

I've done some wiring work, and will continue to do so. Its a bit of an ongoing process, I could probably finish it all in a few hours but I really can't be assed :p The window is coming together, still not completely cut because I'm lazy.

I need to update the first post with new specs soon, as now I have 660GB of HDD space :p (2x80GB IDE + 2x250GB SATA). Those drives are all in the removable HDD rack with a custom loom to really save space, I'll show you that in the next update.

In other news, at uni in one of my electronic engineering classes I'm currently involved in a practical group assignment. We're in groups of 5, constructing a 0-30V PSU, one for each member. Each of the 5 were assigned a different task withing the group (metalwork, PCB assembly, construction, quality assurance, and the general manager). So each member was required to go to a instructional lab where they were taught how to complete their specific task. Then within the group we organise a time to do, for example, the metalwork, and book the workshop. The person in charge of metalwork then had to guide the rest of the group through the procedure of making the box. Then the PCB, then construction, then QA. I was in charge of construction; putting it all together. On friday I went to the instructional lab, so its all done now. I have to wait for it to be safety tested before I can take it home. No doubt it will be useful when testing things at home :)

18. toyomatt84

toyomatt84 What's a Dremel?

I'd say use the mesh on the floor panel. It'd look better, IMO. Not to mention, you could mount a center dot for the "o" and the "d" in Modu Li.

19. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

:)

You mean like these?

[​IMG]

I think I posted that way back, I can't remember though. I still need to get some blue LEDs for the perspex under 'Modu' before I permanently attach the little square bits of aluminium.

20. shplade

shplade What's a Dremel?

Hi. It's time for an update to keep you guys up to speed.

I wasn't happy with my Antec TP2.0 480, so I modded it :leet:

The initial reason I wanted to open it up was to re-organise the power cables where they exit the PSU because Antec leave them all tangled up.

[​IMG]

You can see how antec grouped the different power rails in their respective colours. The cables exited the PSU in the same fashion and ended up as a tangled mess, so I fixed it like so.

[​IMG]

While in there I decided to wire the 120mm fan to 7V as I didn't like how slow it usually ran when connected to Antecs temperature probe solution. While in the process the doorbell rang; it was the courier with a package for me, which just so happened to have a 120mm Delta fan that I wasn't going to use. I spliced it into the 5V and 12V lines of one of the molex runs.

[​IMG]

What came in the mail?

1x 120mm Sunnon fan (38mm thick!)
    1x MCP350
    1x BIP w/ 3/8 inch barbs and 1/2 inch quick connects
    1x Zalman ZM-GWB2 (GPU block)
    1x Zalman NB47J (chipset heatsink)
    10x Norma hose clamps
    1x polypropylene T piece
    1x DangerDen Fillerport

Still waiting on 2m of Tygon 5/16 tubing, a fan shroud and Zalman CPU block.

Here are the NB heatsink, GPU block, T piece and hose clamps:

[​IMG]

Over the last few months I decided on setting up a watercooling loop that all fits on the motherboard tray, and still allows the tray to slide in and out as needed. Everything that I planned seemed fairly easy until I had to mount the pump, as it needed to be on the internal section of the tray. Problem being, there wasn't a feasible way to mount it - until now.

I devised a plan; to mount the MCP350 pump to the tray using the ATX motherboard stand-offs. I needed some kind of support bracket to hold the pump above the motherboard, and here is what I came up with:

[​IMG]

Today I made the bracket out of some aluminium sheet. I used my new Dremel (yes, a real one! not a cheap knock-off) to cut out the shape, then a vice to bend the legs down, cleaned it up with my dremel and a small file, drilled the holes and it was done:

[​IMG]

Now you can't see the floor logo :( Doesn't matter, I will use the logo somehwhere else (right side window I think), and cut the floor again. The good thing is that it fits perfectly, and the tray still comes in and out.

This is the basic layout that I'm going to setup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The radiator is going to be easy to mount to the back of the motherboard tray with a simple bracket. More on that next update, hopefully along with the tubing, shroud and CPU block.