Project: Monster Wood Cube

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Noah, 19 Feb 2004.

1. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

1. All linux distros are free or at least have one free version.
    2. The great thing about linux is that it works with low-powered machines well, unlike windows. maybe looking for one that has the lowest requirements

2. Mr. Red

Mr. Red Minimodder

couple more tips for wood.
    If you can afford it, stay way from plywood if you are not going to cover the edges (looks bad and chips pretty easy). If you use wood glue, keep in mind that it will some do stain, BUT not the same as wood without glue, so be careful. I look forward to seeing what you come up with! Good luck!

3. Noah

Noah What's a Dremel?

She's alive!

RAM needed to be reseated. Going out to investigate wood right now.

4. Noah

Noah What's a Dremel?

It's an ATX tower. :naughty:

5. Fr0z3n

Fr0z3n What's a Dremel?

Cool. Cool. :naughty: If you ever want to get rid of it talk to me. :D

As for the wood case goes I have a really awesome design in my head of the case with some exotic wood stained dark, and a little smoked acrylic window. :lol: Very curious to see how this turns out. :)

6. MaxWiz

MaxWiz What's a Dremel?

YAWT (yet another wood tip)

Solid exotic wood will cost a fortune. MDF is loads cheaper but looks bad. How about MDF with a really nice veneer (jatoba, zebra wood, ...). For your 12" cube you would only need 6 sq feet. It would make an excellent material for stealthing drives too. Wooden drives! I've not seen those yet :D

Then for the edges how about wooden edge trim (like angle iron) in a contrasting wood.

Max

7. thescatman

thescatman What's a Dremel?

YAY!!! My first post...

I would definately recomend going with REAL wood. It might be expensive, but it feels solid, can be varnished/shellaced, and looks better IMO. There's just nothing like the real thing. Your mod will be important, so invest in real wood, not cheapo MDF.
    This mod looks like a great idea!!! Good job. :thumb:

8. Noah

Noah What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys. I will be using real wood, no fake crap. :D

9. J_dupak

J_dupak What's a Dremel?

What kind of tools you got. A router is definetily a necessity for rounding corners etc. Table saw/Miter saw too. Don't try to work with wood with hand tools, I mean unless you got mad skills, cause it always comes out crooked. Hit me up with an email if you'd like to recoup some of the cost and have the tools, I could use a few wooden pieces myself for an epia project I've been wanting to do but can't justify the cost of the tools.