1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project :: SovietPC

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tecate, 9 Feb 2004.

1. tecate

tecate What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the supporting comments and suggestions!!! :D
    That really means a lot to me. With all the support I get more inspiration to do this mod!!!
    Sorry, I absolutely did not mean to turn this thread like this. I decided to go with the Soviet theme just for pure modding fun and memorabilia :D .
    Now onto the case:

-I looked at the Soviet case mod and pheatonforums.com and I think the guy did a very good job with it. I also got some design pointers from his mod.

-About all red theme. I re-analyzed the picture of the finished case in my mind and I think that with black outside/red inside it might definitely stand out more, it's like better contrast. :baby:

-I am currently making a model in SketchUp, and will try to post pics of different color tones (red/red, black/red) ASAP.

-About "worn out" case look. The first thing that came to my mind :idea: when I read that is the picture of a nuclear silo from Red Alert 2. Those of you who have played the game for the Soviets and beaten it, I think the last mission video the show a missle launch and the silo looked quite awesome. And it had that awesome worn-out + rusty look :D . I am thinking of forwading the case towards more that silo-like look :thumb: . I will be reading articles on rusting look techniques as much as possible to find out information about this flick and how difficult it is to do.

-About complex panel look. I had that idea, but decided to reserve it for future mods :dremel: , but thanks for the suggestion.

-Brass buttons will definiely be awesome, but I will see if I will get to use them later on, depending if they will blend in the environment. But I always could repaint them also.

Thanks again for awesome comments and suggestions!!! :rock:
    "Nau I musd kontinue my moding duti :rock: "

jaguarking11, I am sorry that you feel this way. I did not have any intentions to offense anybody with this mod.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2004
  2. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Well I dont suppose nuclear silos are full of rust (you dont want a nuclear launch to fail do you :) )

3. Axly

Axly slo-mo...dder

djengiz.. I think that quite a few of them are now ;)

It seems that way too many people confuse "communism, the ideology" with "communism" as it was in the Soviet Union. Now I hope i don't start a new flamewar with this, but it seems that a majority of Americans believe that communism is what we could see in Soviet, which really was a dictatorship regime based on fear, control, abuse and lying to the people. So far today there has been no true communist countries in the world, since the true idea that Karl Marx formulated simply is very very hard to get to work properly. The leaders of China, Soviet and North Korea has/had much more in common with the "Il Commandates" and military "statesmen" from banana-republics and African countries than with the communist ideal.

I can understand if jk11 has very strong feelings about the so called communism if those things have happened to his family.. and i can't do anyhing but agree with you who think his first post was really stupid, but the "fear of communists" is very misguided, it should be "fear of just another big military regime, but with nukes"...

I am not a communist myself, i have much respect for the idea itself, but i don't think it could ever be put into reality. I have no respect at all for the dictatorial governments, no matter if it's in Angola, North Korea.. or in the Soviet Union.

Now.. to get on-topic. I must say that i'd have made it slightly ugly, in an industrial way. A bit of running rust, big chunky bolts holding it together.. Think "Fallout" (the game) somewhat retro-50's high tech but wiithout the blinking shiny lights they liked back then ;)
    This could be a really cool case, looking forward to seeing more of it as it progresses.

4. macroman

macroman The One

Ok guys I have just spent what should have been some quality time with my family modding this thread instead. I have tried to tidy up and restore this thread on topic as much as possible. Sorry to anyone whose posts got deleted or carved up but I am sure you understand. ;)

I am impressed with the attitude and community spirit shown here but let's not forget this is a project log. :eeek:

tecate - welcome to the forums and enjoy your modding :D

Looking good :thumb:

5. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

macroman I am sorry to have cost you your family time and am sorry to you guys especialy the modder. certain things sometimes set ppl off. I gues this was 1 of those times.

If you guys want to ban me that would be just punishment. Likie I said b4 I only said what i felt.

BTW theme aside gr8 dremel work u doing there and I hope you will be happy with the final aoutcome.

6. macroman

macroman The One

I don't think a ban is necessary here as I am sure it won't happen again ;)
    I consider the matter closed and forgotten. Let's get back to the modding. :)

7. bollingbroke

bollingbroke What's a Dremel?

tecate
    Good job man!
    But you need some advise with the details:
    1. It's not a simple badge. It's 1 degree award (means mainly for officers and real hero-soldiers).
    2. The words on "the badge" you have are 'Отечественная война' which stands for 'The Great Patriotic War' (or such) which was in 1941-1945. It means there can't be any nuclear silhouetto or 'retro-50's high tech...' as was proposed by Axly.

Need any help from ex-Soviet Union citizen - you're welcome.

Offtopic, sorry fellas
    To: jaguarking11
    My granddad was killed in that war (Stalingrad, infantry); my wife's both granddads were killed as well - Moscow, artillery, St-Pete, blockade. It doesn't give me any right to blame, say, all the germans, especially on the computer forum.

PS. If that signum laudis is just replica, that's OK. If it's real one, it has to be made of gold (not gold-plated, solid metal). You better check man :D

Last edited: 11 Feb 2004
  8. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

more pics pls.... and this really has potensial ;)

9. Axly

Axly slo-mo...dder

bollingbroke: Ahh, I didn't know they were from the "Great Patriotic War" I have a few very nice badges as well and a friend told me that they were from the "Cold War" era, and since they looked quite the same I just assumed that this badge also was 50-70's ;)

I've had the pleasure of being in command over an MT-LB when i did my military service (http://www.reserve-info.de/sancomsph/mtlb.htm Sorry, site's in German which I'm not very good at either) and no matter what you think of Soviet military vehicles, they will take any kind of punishment you throw at them.. It may look crude, but they work no matter if it's -40 and 4 ft. of snow or if it's a warm summer day. I would have built it so it at least looks like it could withstand being dropped from the 5'th floor ;)

10. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

how far are you? haven't had an update for a while

11. camaro

camaro What's a Dremel?

i think this looks like a great mod but wheres the next update :confused: I WANNA SEE MORE! :thumb:

12. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

i like your idea in this case, Russains have always built some of the toughest machinery around, (just most broke down), but mod on and good luck with the Case, as Wolverine said, "This Will Make the Mother Land Proud"