1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Unit-03 (LAN party Ready)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Ikera, 6 Jan 2007.

1. Ikera

Ikera What's a Dremel?

I want to build a portable computer. A PC that i can take to LAN partys, move it around the house and stuff, with out having to reconnect everything. Nevertheless it has to have SLI-ready mobo and Powerful CPU. (PC more powerful and customizable than a laptop). So here is my project "Grab n' Go PC".

UnModded case
    [​IMG]

It needs better airflow
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I like flat black
    [​IMG]

Front LCD
    [​IMG]

DVD Burner and HDD holder From ThermalTake "iCage"
    [​IMG]

Need a biger fan hole for 120mm TT fan
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

That's not real blood on the saw... :worried:
    [​IMG]
    or IS IT :eyebrow:

ABS Pipes that i got are too shiny and have some factory makings on them, that's why i needed to sand and paint them.
    [​IMG]

That's the end of the first day of modding.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

If that were real blood on the saw, it must have splatered on it, because if you'd
    cut somebody with it it would be wiped all over the blade :geek: :p
    Anyways, nice start, I like the iedea with the pipes. Any further details on what your gonna do with it?

3. Ikera

Ikera What's a Dremel?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The PSU (Ultra X-finity) has a crapy Fan inside, the fan is too loud and dosn't have any LED I DOSE NOT LOOK COOL at ALL. Well i know one way to fix that, replace teh fan with ThermalTake 120mm LED fan (TT has low noise level, good air flow, speed controller, and 3 COOL BLUE LEDs (i don't know why don't they put 4 LEDs))

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I had to tap into out of the 12v rails to power the TT fan, the power source from the old fan was too weak.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now this is my 20.1" widescreen Sceptre 20G-Naga III

[​IMG]

I know LCD screen is as portable as it can get when it comes to Display screens. But it's not portable enoght for me! Because if i am going to carry a PC case in one hand and teh screen in the other hand, and then... what about teh keyboard... and... well you see where iam going with this...
    The only solution i see is to mount the screen on to the back panel of the case, there is no reason for them to be separate.

Ok some plastic wrap for the protection.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now the Logo on the back side of the screen is going to get in the way...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let see how it's going to look

[​IMG]

I need to make an outline. Mark the place where i am gong to drill the holes... To mount the screen.

[​IMG]

THE MOMENT OF TRUTH...
    Will the Back panel of aluminum case hold 25.1 LBS LCD screen.
    (it was a dilemma the steel case can support teh screen better, but it whole case is not going to be as portable anymore (too havy), and teh aluminum is lighter but it is also too soft)
    Well here it is...

[​IMG]

Pritty good for an aluminum panel

And that's the end of my second day of modding. :confused:

4. elliod

elliod What's a Dremel?

WOW that mutch done in 2 day so you are going to be over in 3 or 4 day ?
    really nice BTW .
    keep up the good work.

5. Ikera

Ikera What's a Dremel?

Why don't people post any replies :waah:
    Over 400 ppl checked out my project and only 2 comments so far... I would like to see more replies plzzzzzzzzz... :sigh:
    I know i never post any replys on the other Project logs, but it's only beacuse English is my second languege it takes longer for me to write stuff... :wallbash:
    Well anyways post comments please good and bad. I just that to know that other ppl are think about this Project... :eyebrow:
    And i know this project is cheap, i can't even afford woter cooling... and I am building this in my bedroom on the floor... so this is as cheap as it gets when to comes to modding... :dremel: ...
    But anyways my point is i want to see REPLIES :blah:

6. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

i considered doint that to my case, but i already polished the sidepanel, and if i did that i would want to either flush-mount it or fiberglass it in. that is way more work than i want to do to my sister's computer, so i decided not to. great work! all that in 2 days, good job. how sturdy are the plastic pipes? to make it easier to carry with one hand, you could use a total of 4 90 degree bends and 2 3-way "T" connectors to make a central handle kind of like this:

==[ \----------- / ]==
    ---\_]----------[_/---
    ---[ ]========[ ]---
    ---/ ]----------[ \---
    ==[_/-----------\_]==

(very crude drawing, but you get the point, didnt feel like uploading a paint image) the equals signs are pieces of straight pipe, i had to use the dashes to get the imager to come out right

7. Ikera

Ikera What's a Dremel?

Hay Thanx for reply! :thumb:
    The pipes are rock solid! Most of the case weight is concentrated on one side . The Monitor side because teh Motherboard is also on the same side. So whith the 95% of the weight concentrated on the "Right" side of teh case (if you look from the front) it is easyer to pick it up with one hand by one handle. Well i didn't put the hardware inside yet. So i can't be too sure yet how will it balance. And I am planing on reinforcing the joints of the pipes. I will post more pics tomorow

8. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

@ itsjustacompaq: such drawings work well if done in notepad then wrapped with "code" labels. Did you mean to draw this?

Code:
    ==[\        /]==
      ||        ||
      |]========[|
      ||        ||
    ==[/        \]==

@ Ikera: If you use ABS solvent cement on those joints they'll never come apart. The trick is to put it in the fitting then on the pipe just a little short of the depth of the fitting. Put the pieces together then twist them into position (a small twist helps spread the solvent cement evenly) and hold them for a few seconds (if you let go right away sometimes the pieces spring apart).

9. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

Do you intend to mount the LCD inside the case by stripping it and making a window, or are you going to have it mounted in a full unit on the outside? With the pictures you have right now I can't really see how it is mounted.

10. Ener

Ener What's a Dremel?

i really like it, especially the pipe ontop :dremel: :thumb:

11. itsjustacompaq

tyinsar, yes thats what it was.

12. Ikera

Ikera What's a Dremel?

@ thecrownles: sorry to disappoint you but the Screen will stay on the outside. I really don't know how can i place it is inside... :confused:
    And also the Screen need ventilation (P.S. This is my first LCD screen) and I can't let the moniter to heat up the inside of teh case... it's hot in there as it is...
    @ Tyinsar: Well what i used is the screws, screwed in from the 3 sides into the inside pipe/joint and when i screwed them in they have mealted in to the place. (b/c of the heat generated while i was screwing tehm inplace) But I will keep that in mind

13. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Nice case! :D

14. Bluefan

Bluefan test 123

I'm just wondering, where did you learn these things...
    Maybe... Real life experience? :naughty: :naughty:

15. itsjustacompaq

common sense would tell you this, not just personal experience. also a healthy dose of CSI, Law and Order, SVU etc. helps out.

16. Ikera

Ikera What's a Dremel?

I'll be honest I didn't do much to the Case... or as much as before. Here a pics
    [​IMG]
    I detached teh display from the case. To make it easyer to work on the it, and I won't be needing the plastic wrap anymore.
    [​IMG]
    There you can see my old case (Unit-01) on the desk it's 99% unmodded.

I painted some parts just to make it look like it was built like this.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    See thouse little dots are the stuff that keeps that window in place.
    [​IMG]
    I needed them to stand out more. It's better now.

The front panel look a littel too dull.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My PC is a machine, it has to look more aggressive. But keep the theame colors in mide. Black, Silver and Blue lights only. I hate the cases that look like X-mas trees, with all different colors n'stuff.

I've decided to pait some hazard lines.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Mesureing out 45 degree angle was not easy with out the right tools.

While the paint was getting dried i took some pics of my Underground layer
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    P.S. Thats not me on the picture... It's my Bro...

The paint dried.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And I think it look a lot better this way.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    This is it for my 3ed day of Modding, more like day of painting.

17. Ikera

Ikera What's a Dremel?

I hate CSI, most of the stuff is too unreal, and some of the cases could be solved by a lot easyer ways.
    Law and Order on the other hand is one of my favorits, because a lot of times in the show u can't draw the line and say what was wrong and what was right. It's all in the grey area. And you can NEVER say that Law and Order is unreal, because it's all based on the true storys. :)
    I know this is off toppic but i don't really care i don't get too many replies anyways.

18. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

are you using your monitor like that? nice mod i always wanted to do that with a mon but have it was a case windows. i give you props looks awsome.

19. Snafu-X-

Snafu-X- What's a Dremel?

Stripes look awesome, though I was fooled by the thumbnails. The shot right under the words "paint dried" looks like you bolted on aluminum rather than painted it. I was a tad disappointed, but still, very nice. Maybe tone town the glitter effect of the silver a bit though.

20. Ikera

Ikera What's a Dremel?

Bolted on aluminum! :eek: That would look almost too kewl for me.