1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project : ?????

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Stickeh, 22 Sep 2003.

1. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Ok first off this is my first modding i have ever done, and this modding bug has bitten me quite hard, i cant seem to stop!

This is also my first project log so just point out stuff that may be wrong/unclear/grammitcly incorrect etc etc.

Ok so my parents have managed to keep a lid on me modding my case as i have actually wanted to do it for a few years now, and bearing in mind im just 15, there were having to hold me back when i was about 13! Anywho i needed some sort of excuse on why i NEED this case modded.
    When this years incredibly hot summer came, here was my chance. Left right and centre my pc would be overheating constantly ad even crashing while using it, perfect.
    I told them it needed some extra casefan to keep it cool and 'prolong' its lifespan. They agreed :hehe: .

So while i was planning all this i just managed to slip in ( under my breath ) that as we are doing his i may as well add a window, paint it black , and se LED fans....

This is what i started with.
    [​IMG]

And this is the precut blowhole beneath the top panel.
    [​IMG]

I went on to markup the cutouts for the window and the fans.
    I cam up with this as my first sketch.
    [​IMG]
    I soon realised most of the window would be over the CD drives... not really what i want people to look at, so i scrubbed that idea and mvoed the window further to the back, removing one of the side panel fans in the proccess.

*schwing shwing* ( thats the sound my dad makes when cuttign panels, e uses a ghetto 18th century sword.)

Right so after my dad attacked the case it sorte looked like this.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the blurryness, but u get the idea right?

Oh and i had the led fans shipped well before i got the panels cut!
    [​IMG]
    This is the top blowhole with grill fitted in the light ^^ and now in the dark \/\/
    [​IMG]
    Sorry again for the blurryness, but it looks SWEET, and also projects little rays of light all over the bottom of my desk.

Im off to school now :) but ill be posting more pics when i get back :)

Last edited: 21 Dec 2003
  2. (Ck)Vegeta

(Ck)Vegeta What's a Dremel?

LoL

Good Job on Scamming your Parents :) I wish i would of thought about that when i was Younger. But oh well im to old for that Now The Window came out nice. I Prefer Windows with the Rubber or some sort of Windows Molding but nice Work Keep it up. Looking Forward to Updates :)

Good Luck

3. Stickeh

no no no! you read me wrong audience!
    Theres no window in there! not yet! it still has to be painted. Just wait till i get home to post some more pics up, im at school atm in electronics, trying to get my teacher to let me change to make a rheobus for my GCSE's but hes having none of it! :(
    updates later!

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

nice.
    Can't wait to see it painted.
    I personally think that a metallic black wouold look great or a hammerite (sp?) paint.
    Just make sure you use a good primer to get a nice surface for the paint to adhere (sp?) to..

Bet that pre-cut fan grille reduces air flow though!!!

good luck :thumb: :dremel:

5. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

yer, cut the prestamped fan grill out of the top of the case. It will be much quieter and will improve effectiveness.

6. Shogun

Shogun Banned

im just wondering how the fan at the top blew out the air before u started modding. I didnt see any hole in the top panel for it :worried:

7. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

might want to cut out that naff pinhole grill beneath the laser cut grill.. will get a lot better air flow that way... other than that looking good

8. Stickeh

ok, right.... i really do wanna get rid of that top inhole precut fan now you guys have contributed :) will try and see what i can do....

9. Stickeh

*UPDATE*

Righty ho then.

This is the case with the sides painted black.
    [​IMG]
    Note the window was also installed at this point, with teh big ol rubber edging :)

This is the case with front off while it got painted
    [​IMG]
    took a while gettin used too, also gave me chance to change the green 'on' and red 'hdd activ' lights to ...well what other colour? bl00! w00t. lol
    This is the case with the side off.
    [​IMG]
    Note the homemade rounde ide cables ( yes i really am that poor lolol ) All the cables got this treatment but i havnt taken a pic of that yet....

Painted front installed
    [​IMG]

And without flash.....
    [​IMG]
    o0o0o sexay! lovin the bl00.

i will hopefully be takin some more pics tonight of the case as i have painted the floppy drive and moved it up into the bottom 5.5 drive bay, and the floppy bays have been transformed into my hd cooler :) That was only just done today and needs a fair lot of sanding :)
    As you may of noticed by now....this isnt really a project log just a gallery of pics, because well i have allready done all this to my case. I did plan on logging it 'honest' just i never got round too as i had mroe and more ideas.

PS, there was no fan instaleld at the top of the case when there was no cut through the top bit...and...i still need a name for the project :) any ideas?

Last edited: 21 Dec 2003
  10. Stickeh

actually, i need help, how would i be able to remov the pre cut fan grill from the top without having to take the computer out of the case? im thinking turn it upside down and cut ti that way? and also i dont have a dremel to cut it by hand id have to use a small saw....unless someone could lend me a nibbler? or something...

11. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

Dude, maybe you could run some duct tape around the rounded cables. Since they're already round, it would finish it off quite nicely... :)

12. Stickeh

true...but it would look a mess, all crinkly i liek the 'every-wire-in-my-case-got-attacked-by-spiral-monsters' look
    i kinda went to mappers and bought 10m of the stuff....ive still got about 9m left!

13. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

for a first project mod, thats amazing yo!...i like the black plastic around the window..was that hard to install w/ the plexi ? cuz im thinkin bout doing that with mine

14. Stickeh

thanks Hyjnx !
    Well, when i actually installed it it was quite hard, well the way the instructions told me to do it, but the rubber is dead soft and i just leavered it into place. i had the 'S' shaped mould, rahter the the 'H' shape. The hole cut for the H shape mould needs to be bigger than the window, the S shape has to be smaller, and setsthe plexi slightly behind the metal. looks v. nice, would say S mould is easier to install.

15. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

in black that looks fantastic!!! I assume (hope) you are going to do the drives too. ;)

In relation to the top of your case..
    I was gonna say .. well yeah... just unscrew it then I realised it appears to be a part of the chasis itself?!

One thing scares me about that system though.. that board looks like an ECS k7s5a.. please tell me it isnt so!

16. Stickeh

Its ture ....oh so true!
    i want a knew one tbh...i know ( first hand ) how much of a pain this board is !
    im getting a new gfx this week, and hopefulyl a new mobo nearer to **** :)
    And YES the hles and part of the chassis.... i have no option but th take out the mobo, and tbh its too much effort to do just one mod...plus im not the greatest computer wiazard! so when i get teh new mobo remind me to cut it up then!!

17. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

OK.. will do..

when you get a new mobo remember to cut it up then

Still looks damn nice as it is. Done worry about the pre-cut grille untill you really have to or the noise gets on your nerves.

*struggles for a name for project*

hows about: ub3r 1337 0wnage bl@ck and bl00 m0dd3d machine!!!!111oneoneone..

OK.. Im just joking.. I have no ideas.. im bad at them. :(

::EDIT:: Need a cathode or summat in there :D

18. Stickeh

damn right i do, when tis dark the led fans do just as good as a cold cathode would, but nice subtle lighting.
    as you may of noticed theres a fan missing on the side of the case...this is because one ofthe leds wasnt workign and anotehr was very faint ,s oits off getting replaced....
    i need some rubber mould forthe top blowhole and side, i thought of a really cool way to make the side fan look pretty :)
    i like the name btw :) heh

well my bro gonna go on pc soon ,so im gonan take out the new home made ahrd drive cooler get a fe pics of that though its unfinished....i will hopefully be adding buttons to either side of the cooler, to control the soem fans, and cold cathodes...

i also need an idea for a hole in the front, i have a fan at the front also but there isnt much of a hole for it to suck air into the case. theres a hole atthe bottom the front panel and the pc is raised but thats nto enuff!! i want a big ass hole in the front! lol

19. Stickeh

BioSniper (or anyone else)
    could you reccomend me a new mobo, ill spend no more than £80, thats my limit and dotn try stretch my budget....(unleess it has leds, clear fan on the chipset etc etc, oh and it can make tea..)
    I need it to at least have Socket A, nforce 2 chipset, ddr , thats about it. :)
    i just need some good suggestions, i know what im looking at but a reccomendation in the right direction is allways nice :)

20. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Hmm.. well. there are loads of good boards out there, my personal faves include ABIT (see the sig ;) ) and MSI

Though by the looks of things you're running SDRAM not DDR so your choice may be some what limite unless you are considering a ram upgrade.