1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Prysm: Laser displays are the future

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Everything is better with LAZORS.

3. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

4. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Sounds good, but just how thin could laser displays go? If they're as thin as the latest LED backlit LCD's, I'll be very impressed.
    If I can't mount it on my wall I'm not really interested.

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

+1

Except that, moving objects, in this case, a mirror, I don't find it a good idea...

Any idea on refresh rates on these?

6. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

i have to agree with proxess, moving parts always increase the chance for failure. Unless it can be shown that these screens have a much longer viewing life and an incredibly low failure rate, as well as being as thin as current LCD's (preferably the newer LED TV's), they simply aren't as versatile or useful as what we already have.

7. Xtreme_Machine

Xtreme_Machine Survivalist

Although it's sounds realy AWSOME (doesn't everything that involves laz0rs?)...

I for one DON'T want to go back to the bulky screens we all know a little to well. Damn my arms still hurt when I think of it :p

What are the sizes we can expect? Is it back to CRT-style screens? Then I'll pass...

8. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

Oh thank goodness you don't find it a good idea! I was worried that these guys just decided to use mirrors for the fun of it and for epic lulz. Thank goodness you've brought up a good point that you don't like mirrors and therefore the technology is not useful! Phew..

9. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I remember that there was some research that looked promissing where light could be "bent" by passing current through "special" optics, there by lossing the need for moving optics. It was in correlation to new optical drives. They made the clame like reading entire blue-rays in under a second. Imagine that in these displays......

10. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I miss my CRT. :(

11. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

I wonder if this can produce 16 bit per colour channel pictures, because Dolby don't seem to be doing anything about Brightside. If so, then HDR displays can come to the market soon and hopefully be the next buzzword instead of damn '3D' with that silly glass wearing business that goes with it.

12. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Me too....i still havent used a single LCD that has come close to the picture quality in terms of contrast, true blacks, that my old Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 19' did, 5yrs ago.

Never stopped regretting the fact i sold it........yes it was bulky, but i have come to loathe all this 'non native' resolution crap with LCD screens.

13. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

I'd certainly take contrast / image quality over a size zero figure, but I share the concern over 'rotating mirrors' and will add 'laser lifetime' to the list. Anyway, OLED tvs and monitors will be ready Thursday (1)

(1) This is an old joke.

tehe, I still have my old 21" Dell CRT. Every so often I clear the space and heave all 65lbs onto my desk to remind myself just how good things were in the days before we were compromised into fashion victims.

Last edited: 15 Jan 2010
  14. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

It's way to early to tell anything at this point guys. We just have to wait and see. If they were going to go up against current LED based screens then I am sure they would consider all the pros and cons before trying to compete. It's not like they are going to release something just for the sake of it with wild claims of improved everything and then go and drop a 50kg monster on you, that would be stupid.

And for the one that mentioned laser lifetimes. What about laser printers that run for years and years without issue? Surely that much of the technology is proven to work.

15. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Laser-based displays already exist - Mitsubishi launched a laser display using DLP micromirror devices about a year ago - I think it's more of a rear-projection screen using discrete red, green and blue lasers though, rather than using lasers to excite a phosphor screen - but the technology is nothing new, and is already available, albeit in a different format to that proposed in the article.

As for the lifespan of a laser, lasers used in printers are only ever used for a few seconds at a time, not for hours on end, as they would be used in a TV or monitor. They are solid state devices, though, so I'd imagine they'd have lifespans comparable to those of LEDs.

16. Xir

Xir Modder

LaserLED's actually exist :D
    While my CRT was great when it came to colours, the sheer crispness of an LCD is great with text and work.
    The CRT was better for gaming though.

Still have the 30+ Kg brick standing around, but some electronic bug bit it :(

I thought they were only cool when attached to sharks :rock:

17. TWeaK

TWeaK Guest

Since the film Paycheck was on TV the other day, I misread the story as 'Laser displays the future'.

Ahh if only. As long as the future had less Ben Affleck in it, that is.

18. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

I miss my old Dell 19"! It was awesome! Got it for £25 second-hand when this LCD craze started and I've got half a mind to bring it out of retirement. Samsung SyncMaster 193v just pales into insignificance in comparison. Only problem is that I'll need a bigger flat to house it :p

19. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

This sounds interesting but I tend to think that SED/FED will be the next standard.

20. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I am not liking the sound of fast rotating mirrors in a phone.
    Everything else sounds good though.

Tags: Add Tags