1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 could ship with PS2 jammed inside

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 7 Jun 2006.

1. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

how many people are going to be buying their first console though, there are going to be alot of people who want backwards compatibility, especially at the beggining of the PS3's life when there wont be many games

2. teabagger

teabagger What's a Dremel?

And you're basing that assumption on some meaningless figures on theoretical triangles per second. There are a number of different ways you can measure tri performance, but even then it's totally pointless. How many games just fill the screen with lots of grey polys? Oh that's right, none. The PS2 had extremely good tri performance, in fact on paper it was better than the XBox. I think we can all agree the XBox games looked a lot nicer.

3. ContingenctPlan

ContingenctPlan What's a Dremel?

If that one game is MGS, you'd better believe it!

4. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

"meaningless figures on theoretical triangles per second" that by a chance are about 2X in the 360 against the PS3, it is like saying "hey this fan can pump out 70CFM @ 25Db and is the same size as the other one that has 35CFM @25Dd, in this case the CFM are meaningless :hehe:" if your graphics card can pump double the amount of triangles per second than my card which one do you think is the fastest one?

lets compare: this versus this they perfom the same? even if i compare with this they dont have the same performance and have diferent amount of Vertices/Second the 7600 has 1/2 of the 7900 and they dont perform the same, even the 7800VS7900 dont have the same performance and the only figures that change are fill rate and Vertices/second

"Comparing system specifications Xbox vs Gamecube and Xbox vs PS2, the clear winner is once again the Xbox"

XBOX

PS2

if i remember correctly, an article in a magazine i once read, the XBOX is 2X faster than the PS2 and 10X faster than the game cube.

"How many games just fill the screen with lots of grey polys" not gray but colourfull ones, and in the future bumpmaps will start to be replaced by gemetry (Unreal3 game engine has tons of these) that will have to be processed by the GPU, now can you imagine what console will have the upper hand?

and like a sayd, this can change anytime in the future, the PS3 can come out with a diferent GPU, 1X, 2x, 3x even 4x faster than the one in XBOX360, only time will tell.

edit: found this:
    -The XBox GPU can do 125 million polygons while the PS2 GS can only do 75million polygons

here

with this i am not saying any of them suck, each has its own weaknesses and powerfull points.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2006
  5. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

well this is a BIG screw up if true as sony are going to have to pay for additional components increasing the cost to them..

as for the current consoles the fastest is the xbox360 then the xbox then the gamecube then the ps2 then the dreamcast. The dreamcast is the most fun to me though, it has awsome games :geek:

6. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

People are writing it off before seeing it?

tbh im waiting till its released then will compare between the Xbox 360, Wii and PS3, until then yeah some of these stories are intresting but i aint taking much notice not until i see the final product and the gaming platform created.

Although doubt ill go with Wii never been a big fan of Nintendo games and consoles in general, Xbox 360 i dont like because most of the games are american and same old same old no RPG's like the FF series or japanesse games in general. So if PS3 does end up being bad ill just spend the money on my PC or something else that takes me fancy.

If only sega still made consoles.

7. teabagger

It's interesting that the moment an article was published that claimed the PS3 was crippled by design that Bit-Tech couldn't wait to pass on the juicy gossip, yet as soon as this misinformation is debunked a follow-up article is conspicuous in its absence. The actual truth regarding the earlier PS3 architecture issue has been well reported elsewhere and I find it unlikely that the Bit-Tech staff are somehow unaware of this.

This eagerness to spread what was quite obviously mis-information from a dubious source, coupled with an apparent reluctance to follow it up with factual information on the subject leaves me wondering... Could it be that Bit-Tech are less interested in providing us with a balanced and fair viewpoint based on facts, and more interested in engaging in petty stirring? I wonder.

8. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Wrong thread bud. Infact most people referenced TheInquirer for the source, who has yet to correct themselves concerning the mis-information. Everyone is human and so are Bit-Tech staff.

9. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Aren't we judgemental today. =P

10. teabagger

Yeah maybe I am, but I don't think it's too unreasonable to expect fair reporting of the other side of things. Not doing so only undermines their own credibility.

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Thing is, I would prefer a PS2 chip in the PS3 for backwards compatability (Hardware>Software emulation) I would have thought it would mean that most (if not all) current PS2 games would work (unlike the 360, which only has a portion of the x-box back catalog that is playable).

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Note the "could" in the title.

It's reportive journalism. If it was boring, noone would read it. If there was real, hard evidence, everyone would already know about it.

13. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

Surely the whole point of the forum is to discuss/debunk? Why publish a second story on the same topic when people reading the first one can click through to here and get the full low-down?

Tags: Add Tags