1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PSU and cable management

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 8 May 2020.

1. silk186

silk186 Derp

Due to my GPU overheating and excessive fan noise in my Phanteks Evolv ITX I finally broke down and ordered a Fractal Design Meshify C. After my GPU scare was sorted I managed a rats nest of cables by pulling out the PSU, cramming everything in and pushing the PSU back. It wasn't fun but it is ... mostly sorted. Because of the design and stiff SATA cables, I haven't been able to run power to the 2.5" SSD mounted on the back.

My PSU is a Corsair RM650 Gold rated PSU, which I believe has a 5-year warranty.

Cable management is a bit of a pain and the cables are very stiff. I was thinking about aftermarket cables from Taobao but they seem to be extension cables which would make cable management even worse.

The PSU dimensions are: 150 mm (W) x 86 mm (H) x 160 mm (D)

An SFF PSU would give me more space but cables would also be shorter.

2. silk186

silk186 Derp

Yes, only required cables, but the case doesn't have tons of room between the back panel and the cables are very stiff. I don't know how they compare to newer models. It does seem the warranty was extended last year.
    [​IMG]

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Best bet would be custom made cables for the exact length required. It won't be cheap but you also get the option of a custom colour scheme as well. Pexon seems expensive but you're getting quality at a reasonable price.

If you do get custom cables made ideally not only do you need to measure the exact lengths socket to socket but also the orientation of each connector from the PSU to socket to get a perfect fit. It's worth the effort.

4. silk186

silk186 Derp

From the look of things, SFX-L would give a bit more space. But not sure if it would be significant given the cost premium.

[​IMG]

5. silk186

silk186 Derp

That's a nice looking PSU. It looks like the 24-pin may be more flexible but I can't tell with the others. Shorter cables would help cable management, provided they aren't too short, necessitating cable extension.

Tweaktown - When I first received the Fractal unit, I figured it would be a stout little unit for running a single card setup, which gets a little toasty. I am happy to report that the SFX unit stood up to the literal abuse and walked away with a win in this case. It never faltered during any of our testing or caused a single workload error. I want to take this moment to remind readers that if you plan to run a heavily loaded workstation rig, which will be pounded by a constant loading with multiple cards. Please get a more suitable PSU as I subject these units to this level of testing to see how stout they can be when pushed beyond what people should use them for.
    What does that even mean, an ATX PSU or a higher wattage model?

I'm feeling that I should be replacing my PSU because it is out of warranty, but I'm very uncertain what it should be replaced with. I suppose the easiest option is to wait for a deal to pop up on the marketplace. I assume 650w is suitable for most builds these days. Eventually, I will upgrade to an 8 core Ryzen 7 and beefier GPU, like a GTX 1070.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 8 May 2020
  6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That 10% 15% is a good thing as PSU's use electrolitic capacitors which age over time and the PSU's peak output will degrade :)

Its a shame no SFX PSU's have silicone cables! I just got a new headset and the cabling on that is super flexible, but then it probably can't handle that many watts!

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman Don't phone it's just for fun.

Sounds like a load of balls to me, especially as they say it stood up to everything they threw at it.

8. silk186

silk186 Derp

I assume you mean PCPartPicker it seems a normal draw should be around 400w without an OC on the CPU. it's also difficult to predicts how hunger future GPUs will be.
    Seems 600w to 650w is a safe margin without paying too much.

It is an odd thing to put at the end of a review. What I find odd is the lack of comparisons between the Corsair SF600 line and a Fractal Ion SFX-L 650W as these seem to be in direct competition.

9. silk186

silk186 Derp

Are modular PSU cables basically the same across lines and brands? I remember reading something about how models having better cables than another.

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Well-Known Member

No, like most things it varies by brand and range. Corsair's SFX PSUs, for example, ship with really stiff and inflexible cables that are a pain in the hoop to work with, but they also sell (or least, did sell) a cable kit for their SFX PSUs that were much easier to work with.

silk186 likes this.