1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PSU recommendation for 300w GPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wyx087, 12 Sep 2020.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I'm having crashing problems with new-to-me 2080 Ti :( It works great in most games because I play with VSYNC on at 60 Hz. But when trying out nVidia's Star Wars raytrace demo, it crashes. This is with my 6 years old Seasonic S12G-550 550w PSU.

After some thinking, and make sure the crash is reproduceable, I tested by adding a second PSU: common ground, a no-GPU computer with a really old Corsair Hx620 giving one 8-pin power. My 550w give the rest. No more crash.

The screenshot shows 8-pin #1 12v, provided by other computer. PCIe voltage and 8-pin #2 from my 550w at 11.6v.
    I used to only buy Seasonic built, but I thought this good quality 550w should be enough for 2080 Ti :(

With overclocking in mind (when I get back in Silverstone FT02, one of the best air cooling case), 130% power for 2080 Ti would be 325w. What PSU is good nowadays?

I think I need 2 cables going to the GPU, 1 cable is just not enough.
    At least 80+ Gold for efficiency please. Don't mind modular or not.

TLDR:
    1. 6 years old Seasonic S12G-550 voltage drops when 2080ti tries to pull loads of amps.
    2. I need a new PSU, I'd like 80+ Gold or better, don't care about modular.
    3. Considering 130% overclocking power limit, I'll need a PSU to power the 325w card. 2 cables to GPU.
    4. What brand is good? What would you recommend?

Attached Files:

Last edited: 12 Sep 2020
  2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Any well reviewed 750W PSU will do the trick. You can go lower as long as you buy higher quality, but you might find the PSU runs slightly less efficiently is you are running it near it's theoretical max.

Modular is pretty much a forced option on quality PSUs of this size, and don't buy into the huge premiums of titanium over platinum rated supplies unless you are planning to run it at load 24/7, you'll never get close to recouping the price difference.

I personally use a Corsair HX850i in my gaming rig, but in the folding rigs I use an assortment of brands and wattages and have had no problems with any of them.

3. wyx087

Thanks. I was looking at Corsair RM650...... guess I need to up to 750w.

But IIRC Corsair just repackaged PSU? Their very first HX620 was Seasonic.

Got the 2080ti working okay now: 50% power limit and -200 MHz core clock :duh:
    Surprisingly still manages silky smooth at Ultra setting in HLAlyx and Epic with max resolution upscaling in Asgard’s Wraith.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Correct, but that applies to the vast majority of PSU brands and is no problem (well, except for the inevitable price fixing when OEMs charge everyone the same).

5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Last edited: 12 Sep 2020
    modd1uk and adidan like this.
  6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The only OEMs you regularly under their own skin these days are CIT and FSP in the entry to mid-market and Seasonic and Super Flower have offerings from entry to high-end. Pretty much everything else is a rebrand either from one of those 4 or another dozen or so OEMs none of us have ever heard of.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2020
  7. wyx087

That superflower looks good. £99 at Curry’s if I wait for 5 days.

One of reason I started thread was to seek out alternative to Seasonic.

But then, is Seasonic quality to blame? Each PCIe power port is drawing over 100w, so at peak it may be drawing around 18 amps through one cable. Too much for one cable? If so, be similar result on any 550w supply with single 2x 6+2 pin PCIe power.

BTW, The crash is black screen, GPU fan goes to max and must require a power cycle. GPUz logging appears to continue.

If this crash no longer appears with another PSU help powering the card, it would be very safe to conclude PSU upgrade is in order?

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Yeh. Age seems to play a part with psu's too. My old enermax one day decided it didn't want to power any overclocks and I'd get reboots under load (no bsod, just kerchunk-off) despite being a 1000W supply. Replaced it with the 650w leadex and problem was solved. Even got better oc out of it.

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

EVGA here.

Previous was a Be Quiet Dark Power Pro that didn't miss a beat in ten years until it up and died.

Mind you it only took itself out and had been across the world twice in the hands of juggers.

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

To be fair the minimum recc on the 2080Ti is 600w. I looked at your PSU and it has 45 amps on the 12v rail. Which isn't an awful lot.

If you didn't overclock? I would say fine. Also, raising the power limit sometimes doesn't improve the overclock. In fact, with my Titan XP if I used too much power limit it overclocked worse. Also don't feel limited to a given wattage. Remember, sometimes bigger better power supplies are actually cheaper.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evga-Warra...mputers&sprefix=700w+pow,computers,298&sr=1-8

11. wyx087

Time to retire the 550w to something less demanding. I think it was Seasonic’s budget range, their cheapest gold rated PSU. I did a fully loaded consumption reading with 2 PSU, taking away other computer idle consumption. I got around 450w. Should still be within spec of 550w....... if it were new.

Looks like EVGA and Superflower are current favourite. I did see the EVGA GD range, but it felt similar to my current PSU: cheapest Gold they offer.

I’m going to order the Superflower 750 linked earlier. Seems to be the best value, feature, warranty, and well reviewed.

Thanks everyone!

The_Crapman likes this.
  12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeah, electrolytic caps dry out over time and can't maintain their spec. Cheaper ones go bang, expensive ones just top out under load. Its why I over spec my PSU power so I know it'll last :)

wyx087 likes this.
  13. wyx087

Does weight of PSU say much?

I was expected new 750W to be heavier than old 550W. But it’s virtually the same, might be even lighter.

Now with Superflower in the system. No more crashes. So it was definitely the 550w topping out, probably due to ageing.

Another thing puzzling me is, how come 180w 1070 Ti is rock solid stable at 12.1v. But even when 2080 Ti is pulling 150w, 50% power limited, the 12v rail drops down to 11.7v.

Now, what do I do with the old 550w? Keep it as backup? Does PSU do well kept in storage for years on end? I guess attic isn’t a suitable place due to moisture and temperature.

14. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

More modern one will run cooler so won't need as much heatsinking :)

wyx087 likes this.
  15. wyx087

Thanks. I was hoping you can pop in. Yes, that explains the weight.

I also have an Ax850 that has this strange behaviour where it would not normally power on, it only works if I turn it on fresh from the plug. It's been stored in the attic for years. Guess it's gone past usable. What's the proper way to dispose of PSU's?
    (now that I have a known working spare, albeit low output)

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Probably a damaged capacitor of some kind. It'll have to go in your ewaste. Some councils take it with the recycling, others you have to take it to the tip.

wyx087 likes this.
  17. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

its interesting that most of my power supplies over the years have gone shi+bang but my OG 15 year old "its a chunk of crap never buy" ULTRA brand and you cant buy (though you can) is still pulling a 70% rated load ...

in a 40c garage half the year and it's got less ripple than my less than 2 year old EVGA 80 +unobtainium rated chunk of garbage ... after pulling an Athlon XP 2800+ geforce 8 series, up to a phenom II+ radieon 4890 in a 40 + garage for almost 6 years non stop

Arboreal likes this.
  18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Thats what we in engineering like to call 'luck' :p

Arboreal likes this.
  19. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

ya but I have had 2 of them, the other one is still going just fine in my old FX machine that I sold to a co-worker for a lunch

its kind of like when GN ripped on the walmart pc for having a mustard-ketchup silver box power supply and I think it ended up being a Superflower, there's so much more to a good PSU than what sticker is on the side

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Still isn't the kind of data I'd base my assements off. I've have 3 logitech devices die within a year or so, does that make all logitech devices rubbish? Not at all, but cheap, low grade equipment is just that and I don't think should ever be compared to higher end stuff.