1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Purchasing a new SSD.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ImInTheZoneBaby, 27 Apr 2011.

1. ImInTheZoneBaby

ImInTheZoneBaby Bring it on sucka!

Hey everybody. I am currently in the process of buying a new build for myself, using Scan as place of purchase. (I get free delivery for being a member here!)

Now, I'm 100% sure on all of my build except from the SSD. I am stuck on about 120GB of storage, however I'm confused about SATA II or SATA III and read and write speeds.

This is my SATA II choice:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120g...orce-ssd-mlc-flash-read-285mb-s-write-275mb-s
    or
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120g...-read-275mb-s-write-includes-25-to-35-bracket

This is my SATA III choice:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/128g...-25-ssd-sata-6gb-s-read-355mb-s-write-140mb-s

Now, read speeds are obviously higher on the SATA III choice, but writing is lower. Even the price is lower. My motherboard is definitely SATA III compatible.
    (http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-...4xddr3-2133(oc)-gbit-lan-sata3-usb30-firewire)

I'm not sure how I'd really need the higher writing speeds on the SATA II drives, as I'll mostly be playing games and the main benefit I'm after is loading speeds of the OS and other programs.

Sorry for this long winded post, but could someone give me some benefits of what i've chosen, or even your choice of another drive? I don't really want spending anything over £200.

2. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

The crucial C300 is a very good drive, and if you think you'll only be playing games from it then like you said the write speeds won't matter much, I mean I don't really notice them. However I would thoroughly recommend if you can stretch a bit more the new vertex 3

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120g...force-ssd-read-550mb-s-write-500mb-s-60k-iops

its a complete monster of a drive, 550mb/s read :D and 500Mb/s write :D if you really can't stretch to that then thumbs up for the c300 :)

3. TehKrak3n

TehKrak3n What's a Dremel?

I would have to agree with the poster above, the difference in price isn't that much considering how much you were willing to pay, while the difference in speed is almost double (provided u get those speeds).

4. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Whilst i'm still a big proponent of SF drives, it's got to be noted both that the write speeds on the V3 are for 100% compressible data (incompressible data is lower) & that the 120GB V3 is noteably slower than the 240GB (d.t. the no of nand channels).

None of this however is any different to looking at (the orig) V2s though -

well as the 1st is a given, taking the 2nd point, the 50GB was slower than the 100GB was slower than the 200GB for (esp) compressible writes

- though the same applies to the different sized C300s or C400s or intel drives or...

Whilst the V3 currently appears to be the best all round drive (with the singular exception of using it directly for something like heavily compressed multimedia encoding) - esp since they've vastly improved the potential slowdown since almost all of it can be recovered by a simple reboot after heavy r-e-w cycles - the big problem atm is the price point...

Well, whilst, for example, a pair of 50/60GB V2s don't have the snazzy reboot thing, they are otherwise significantly cheaper than a 120GB V3 &, in R0, the r.l. performance isn't that far off - whilst saving ~£30-35.

[NB 1. i still don't recommend the C300s in raid arrays as the GC is (comparatively) shonky - this has been improved in the C400s though i'm yet to see by how much, &

2. 'if' someone were looking at doing this then i'd suggest going for either 50GB OCZ ones as there's then no chance of getting the slower 60GB ones that caused all of the hassle a couple of months back - or the 60GB Corsair ones & underpartition to increase the OP.]

Yeah, simply giving an alternative to the options you've looked at rather than recommmending it, as it's obviously simpler to have a single drive than a R0 array - not least with f/w updates.

The other thing to consider in the 3Gb/s vx 6Gb/s SSD choice is what the 6Gb/s controller is on the mobo you're buying -

if, for example, it's got a 6Gb/s intel one then all well & good for the new range of SSDs, but the results from the Marvell ones are (comparatively) pretty shonky...

...fine for a C300 but nowhere near good enough to get the best out of something like the V3.

- which 'could' add to the total build cost in needing to go for a better mobo than you'd planned.

5. ImInTheZoneBaby

£70 more for the V3 is quite alot of cash. I understand the speed gains are great, however this is the first time I've jumped into the SSD territory.

I think I will buy the C300.

As the for mobo SATA controller, I have linked the motherboard I will be buying in the first post. :)

6. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

As it's a P67 board then, without looking up the spec, providing you connected the SSD to the intel ports then you 'could' get the full speed with a V3...

if you're not prepared for the price jump to the V3 (&, as kind of said in my previous post, i wouldn't blame you atm), a pair of 50GB V2s (to avoid the 25nm nand) or 60GB Corsairs in R0 will be much faster than a 128GB C300...

it's your money though, so up to you.

7. ImInTheZoneBaby

It seems Scan has just removed the C300 from their website, and exchanged it for the new RealSSD M4 version. It's £10 more, so it looks like I'm getting that instead!

8. Cus_de_Sparta65

Cus_de_Sparta65 "There is no dremel"

Let us know how it runs mate ok:thumb:

I just bought the C300 the other week as well, I was sort of warned on here though that the next gen SSD were coming soon so my own fault really.

9. ImInTheZoneBaby

Finally purchased my build pieces a couple of minutes ago. A few things out of stock, but due in the next day or two.

http://i.imgur.com/GpuOZ.png

Can't wait for it to arrive sometime next week. Apparently the 3XS team take a maximum of 3 days to overclock the CPU and test it to make sure it's all up and running. :)

I'll be sure to report on the speed of the SSD.
    I'm excited, as i've not seen the kind of speed increases first-hand before.

Not long now! :p

10. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

I'm in a similar situation I'd like to get an SSD but since I've only got SATA2 Its not very useful getting a Vertex3 plus there really expensive,

Anyone know how the intel 320 series are? or the corsair Force?

Mite pick up a intel 320 80gb or a force 90 not sure